don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    You mean at 0:55? I think the player tried to jump at the last split-second before he hit the spring, you can hear the jumping sound effect before he rolls into the spring. None of the other springs in the video change the player's form.

That's only for diagonal or vertical springs. Horizontal springs don't change Sonic's form.

Pretty sure this video is the first time we get to hear the drowning music. Nothing too different there outside of maybe some changed synths, apparently.

The countdown bubbles also are more animated this time around too! They pulsate a little bit and then shrink away this time. The level layout at 2:20 and onwards looks all new as well (video cuts away before the act is finished, though).

2. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

Ew, some sprites that are supposed to be in the background have collision. That'll probably be fixed by the time it's released, but I'm surprised they used this footage.

3. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Also, the doors are visible when moving, up instead of being hidden by the scenery. Looks quite weird!

It doesn't suprise me they delayed the game. It wasn't a matter of sega being concerned with quality, the game really couldn't be released in April.

4. Felik

Felik

Yes I did, so I said CP1. I mean even GH1 had a bunch of gimmicks from EH and PP and also some badniks from other levels.
    CP1 has nothing like that. Just a rehash of original CP.
    0:52, 0:55 - you can see that. 0:51, 2:20, 2:21 - you can't see (cause the player keeps pressing down), but can hear.
    Probably just a bug though

5. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    The timer resets to 0'00" when you respawn from a checkpoint.

6. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I've not watched the trailer, as I'm not watching anymore footage of the game so I don't spoil everything, but I think we should drop our expectations for Act 1 of the returning stages. Seems pretty clear to me that they are just the old levels redone in higher quality sprites and remixed level design.

7. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I don't think so, because GHz1, FBz1, and SSz1 all have new gimmicks, it almost seems like CPz was a late addition.

8. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Chemical Plant Act 1....where are your rotating glowing pieces? The blocks are supposed to rotate colors, the factory background machinery pieces are supposed to be glowing red, the ends of the moving yellow platforms are supposed to have rotating colors as well.

For reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KepMdGmty8

9. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    I noticed that, they're supposed to be foreground I think.

10. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
  11. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Hmmmm. I'm seeing instances of cheap badnik placement again...

12. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Man I love how there's a lot of going to the left in this level.

13. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Act 2 looks really good, but there had better be more expanded areas in Act 1 like we saw in Green Hill or I think it may lead to some negative reactions from the broader press/outside here. Green Hill was supposed to be the tamest remake, wasn't it?

14. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    After seeing the new gameplay I've come to realize that all of the objects that used to have "glowing features" in the original aren't present, they are just permanently green instead. It makes me a little sad. Just a little.

15. Chaud

Chaud

Well, 1:47 was painful. :argh:

Other than that, I didn't see anything cheap. And thank god whoever was playing it was good at it. I mean, for some reason, in 90% of the gameplays from Sonic games people are simply TERRIBLE at it, it's painful to watch. This one was really fine.

16. Sean Evans

Sean Evans

Professional Dork Member
    Earth
    Sonic Overture, Sonic Utopia
    I hope that they include the feature from Megamix where you can recurl into a ball after hitting a spring or launching off a slope. Even just as an option.

17. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Something I've noticed, thought I'd ask you gentlefucks who're generally more familiar with the games than me. Is it just me or Mania, compared to the megadrive games, has a ton more focus on "giant-size object" as stage gimmicks? I know that occurred sometimes in the old games, primarily as Pinball gimmicks, but otherwise, it didn't seem to be as prevalent as here. I feel that if the "add chemicals to change the liquid's bounciness" gimmick was in Sonic 2, for an example, you'd be stepping in some sort of big mechanical device, not a literal giant syringe. There's giant test tubes in the bg, giant roulette machines, giant popcorn machines, giant DNA things, giant hands with giant guns, giant fizzy-drink dispensers. It's not necessarily a negative, just wondering if there's a specific point to it.

18. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    An unlockable option would be cool

19. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    I personally wish it didn't do this. My ideal way would be keep the time, but remove being able to Time Out and die.

20. I wish it wouldn't reset to zero, but would return to the time clocked when you passed the signpost. I would like to retain the Time Out though.