don't click here

Sonic Mania Plus (Consoles Physical; PC Digital) - Non-Leaks Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chris Highwind, Mar 16, 2018.

1. RikohZX

RikohZX

My guess is that the quality, capability and power of the illusions depend on the wielder. Infinite was a mercenary and combatant, so attacking people directly with hallucinations and illusions on the offensive makes sense. Eggman on the other hand saw / formed entire areas when he used the Ruby in the comic, and it can be inferred that he has a more articulate control of it that lets him distort reality and thus how he managed to imprison Little Planet again; he has spacial control, Infinite has physical control. How the hell it ended up on Angel Island and sunk the whole thing again on its own is up in the air though.

2. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    The whole "caused the sinking" thing is something I added, to explain why Angel Island is seaborne again instead of airborne. I'm unsure if there's a canonical reason behind it other than Sonic 3 and Knuckles reference. :v:

3. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    If the Master Emerald took to the sky to physically remove Chaos from the world, then after the events of SA1, it wouldn't need to be in the sky again. Do we ever canonically see Angel Island float after SA1?

4. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Not an in-universe reason, but it does explain WTF Knuckles in doing there.

5. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Stealth said during a stream he did that Angel Island being in the ocean again was due to the ruby so you were correct! As for why... who knows. I'm not entirely sure that Sega knows exactly what the phantom ruby is or does either.

6. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Well, the Phantom Ruby requires energy sources to function. Perhaps, as I said, the Phantom Ruby is siphoning the Master Emerald's power and preventing Angel Island's floating status?

I mean, Adventure does establish that Angel Island isn't a naturally floating landmass. Remove the Master Emerald, it comes crashing right back down.

7. Chainspike

Chainspike

Stealing rings since 1994 Member
    Death Egg Zone
    S3C Delta
    [​IMG]
    Post-Adventure that wasn't the case. Angel Island was still able to float (even if it was losing altitude) without the Master Emerald. Wether that's just because of the chaos or super emeralds is unknown.

What is known is that Angel Island hit the ocean in Sonic the Hedgehog 3 because of the immense force and weight of the 1,000,000,000 megaton ball of steel. It's a bit ridiculous how something like the phantom ruby can have the same effect.

8. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    Well the effects of the chaos emeralds on the Phantom Ruby have yet to be documented.

9. RikohZX

RikohZX

Well in terms of what's been depicted, it was at least implied to be somewhat cognizant enough to find Eggman first as if it was his "owner" in the comic, and it was buried right on the surface of Angel Island's coast. Whether it'll ever be relevant again or not, it seems like the Phantom Ruby's sheer power probably warped the Angel Island down into the ocean like how we can presume Eggman was able to warp Little Planet to Angel Island with it.

There's a lot of missing context we have to figure the hard way with this one, and I'm not talking stage transitions.

10. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    And if you don't get the Master Emerald, like in the bad ending, the island crashes again. The Master Emerald is kinda necessary for Angel Island to remain afloat.

11. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    You just blew my freaking mind.

That would explain why Knuckles hangs around the rest of the cast more after the Adventure games, and why in Sonic Advance, they go to Angel Island like it's any other Zone. Pretty sure the altar is grounded in Sonic Battle as well.

12. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    I'm liking this. We don't see the island go back into the sky after it's second SA1 falling, and when Knuckles smashes the M.E. in SA2 I don't recall any mention of Angel Island falling again.
    I think the closest we see to anything that might be Angel Island in the sky is Advance 2's "Sky Canyon", which is a floating land-mass where you fight Knuckles as a boss. The Zone resembles Advance 1's Angel Island, but there's never any official word that it's actually Angel Island outside of speculation.

13. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Does Sonic Chronicles count, as Angel Island does pop up there and is airborne, if I recall correctly.

14. Pengi

Pengi

Angel Island is depicted as being amongst the clouds in Advance's Angel Island Zone and Advance 3's Chaos Angel and Altar Emerald. It's also in the sky in one of the Sonic Forces prequel comics, which Sonic Team provided the plots for.

15. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Ahh good point there with the Forces comic and Chronicles! Myth busted then.

Regarding Advance 1 and 3, You could almost hand-wave those stages as as being high up mountain areas amidst low-cloud, New Zealand style. :v: (not sure how far you'd get with that though..)

16. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    It's still an interesting direction to take it, however. I wouldn't mind seeing a continuity with the same idea.

17. Fadaway

Fadaway

The Phantom Ruby is obviously in the ground in that spot on Angel Island to fix the plothole of why Knuckles was able to knock the chaos emeralds from Super Sonic in Sonic 3. Its energy weakened the emeralds' power there, allowing Knuckles to do the thing. :P

As for the island floating....I suspect it floats on good days and descends when it's feeling bummed about something. There is no rhyme or reason, and it's likely sentient and moody. ¯\_(?)_/ ¯

18. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    The master emerald is pretty old, so it's only natural that some times it can't keep it up.

19. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    It gives us the answer in the Sonic 3 manual.

I think the question is, why do we see it back in the air before the Master Emerald is put back in its place (or am I missing something that I'd forgotten about)? Did it rise back up during playthrough, and then when Eggman [then Mecha Sonic] steals the Master Emerald, it starts dropping down again?

Ignore that, I was just having a dumb moment there, lol

Would that then mean Knuckles has always known about the Phantom Ruby, and just decided to leave it there hoping no-one will notice it?

Ps. On a side note, in that manual I like how they put in the profile of Knuckles as "Doesn't necessarily dislike girls, but isn't good with them." :p - but they call him a MOLE?!

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I think that it may be a bit misleading to compare the way Angel Island works in the classics vs post-Adventure since, being the same thing but from two different dimensions, they might feature slightly different behaviors.

We still haven't seen what happens during the events of Sonic Adventure and forward, in the "No Green Eyes" universe.