don't click here

Sonic Mania Plus (Consoles Physical; PC Digital) - Non-Leaks Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chris Highwind, Mar 16, 2018.

1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It would be possible to fix by starting a (very) brief cutscene as soon as you enter the room, with the first mini-Silver appearing and Sonic spindashing into it, hitting Metal as a consequence.

That would teach the players about timing the attacks properly.

2. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    A cut scene would spoil the fun. Granted, the mini-Silver boss is unintuitive, but working it out is such a joy. And the little robot gives a big clue with his attacks.

----

The only change I would like to see to the bossess is for them to bring back the bonus stages, so you can stock up on lives and shields before the battles. I agree some of the later bosses were annoying, but it was nice to have harder enemies for a change. It was just getting a game over that spoiled it. On my second play through, I used the lives trick in PGZ and it made the later bosses less irritating.

3. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Yes! I should've mentioned that earlier when I brought it up. Granted, some people I've spoken to about Mania haven't even made it past "Flying Balloon Zone" yet... :rolleyes:

4. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

You can get past that section relatively quickly. Is it boring? Yeah. But Turbohog made it sound like it was hard for him, which may have been me misreading his post. But you can still blaze through that part if you just know what to do. You seem way to upset over a small comment I made about saying a part of the game is not as egregious as one might think.

5. Turbohog

Turbohog

The first time I did the Metal Sonic fight it was easy. Even though I wasn't always spindashing into Silver Sonic, I got lucky and he kept hitting Metal Sonic. The next couple of times I played it, it just felt like it dragged on forever (and I didn't know I was apparently supposed to only spindash to win so it really took forever).

I just think that portion of the Metal Sonic boss fight is particularly flawed.

On another note, does anyone feel like the Studiopolis Hard-boiled Heavies boss is a bit too flashy? There's so much going on in the background it's a little overwhelming. Also, it'd be cool if they make the jumps feel more natural during that boss. Probably won't happen though. I don't really expect significant changes to the bosses.

6. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    I'm not really upset, try not to attempt to read my mood over a text response.

You can't blaze through it. You literally can't. You have to wait, that's the entire thing. No, it doesn't take a substantial amount of time, and like I said it doesn't make me want to put the game down or anything, but it's repetitive and simple and not really fun or interactive in anyway. It's literally sitting and waiting for something to happen so you can hit two buttons and move on. Not a huge deal, but I can see why not everyone is particularly fond of it, and wanting to quit the game doesn't necessarily have to do with difficulty.
    Like others have mentioned before, sections that rely on waiting for something to happen so you can perform a quick action and move on aren't particularly enjoyable for a lot of people, not particularly intuitive.
    It's not so much the literal amount of time it takes to get through that bit. It's the fact that I don't have much agency as a player that makes it FEEL like it drags on for an unnecessary amount of time. You hit Metal once and you get the gist. Like a good song, there's no need to repeat that over and over again unless there's something new or particularly enjoyable about hitting Metal the second time.
    But my gripe lies with the fact that you just have to do the same thing over and over until it's done. Whether it takes 1 minute or 1 hour does make a difference, but I can have fun in a minute and I can have fun in an hour as long as something exciting is happening and I have agency over what's happening in the game world.

7. Liliam

Liliam

Previously Fred Oldbie
    Why are people still complaining about the only decent part in that otherwise shitshow of a boss fight?

8. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    The Silver Sonic part is flawed. There's no way of knowing that you can spin dash silver unless you've already played Sonic 2 Master System. Throughout Mania, the spindash is associated with always damaging unshielded enemies. It's logical therefore to assume that silver's spindash will hurt you likewise, as enemy attacks usually damage Sonic no matter what state he's in. There's also no indication or hint that you can spindash into Silver. Couple this with the fact that you can (albeit incredibly frustratingly) jump into silver and bounce him around into Metal, and it's completely reasonable to assume you don't spindash while he's revving.

The fight is either extremely easy if you know what you are doing or extremely frustrating and tedious if you don't.

9. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    The only improvement I would make would be to make Silver Sonic indestructible and possibly restrict the size of the arena a little bit, so that he continues to ricochet around until he hits Metal Sonic. This is more inline with the feeling of the original 8-bit boss battle. I was supremely happy that Silver made it into mania, but it felt so wrong to destroy him with only one hit.

Also, tentacle chest claw was supposed to come from the chest :colbert:

10. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Well, in fairness, this isn't the Silver Sonic, is it - that one was the same size as Sonic, for starters! This newer model's more a badnik based on the same concept - smaller and easier to mass-produce, but also much weaker. Plus, since it has an animal inside like any other badnik, there's no room for the patented Tentacle Chest Claw™ inside - hence the regular ol' extendable claw arms instead.

...Yes, I've thought about this too much. = P

11. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    So that would make them regular production Silver Sonics. Which means Classic-verse (Or past-Sonic, I think the two universe approach is just lazy) Sonic might be fighting off Silver Sonics as regular badniks.

12. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Well, there's nothing saying Mania can't be the first time he's fought any variation of Silver Sonics. They're a S2GG reference for the players but it's not like they appear in S1-3 or CD.

13. Neowl

Neowl

feels good man Member
    London, England
    SAIL HATAN
    Preorders for all three versions are up on Amazon UK, for £29.99 each.

It may be of note that the listings state that Mighty and Ray will indeed have unique abilities as assumed, though seeing as this is a third party listing, the information may be unreliable.

14. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    That was always my headcanon. Especially after Iizuka hinted that the GG games aren't part of the timeline (and all the inconsistencies that make the GG games seem like they belong in their own world).

15. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    Also, unlike the 8-bit version, there is no chaos emerald inside, which could also account for its weakness. Still, I wouldn't mind an arranged battle mode with a more powerful silver sonic. "Discovering" the trick to defeating the boss could also be better if it wasn't so fragile.

16. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Yeah even as a really young kid I divided the Genesis and Game Gear games into their own timelines in my head, with Chaos and Triple Trouple replacing 3 and Knuckles respectively.

17. Chebghobbi

Chebghobbi

On the subject of the animals in the Silver Sonic bots, I'd like to see those removed from the game tbh. They only emerge when the player destroys the SS directly, and not when used to hit Metal Sonic. I don't like the implication that Sonic is willing to kill his 'animal friends' by using them as weapons.

Alternatively, if they escaped when Metal Sonic takes damage from them I could live with that too.

I also noticed that the Asterons and Iwamodoki never release animals in Mania. In Sonic 2 Asterons released animals when hit with a spin (possible in a couple of locations) and in S&K Iwamodoki released them upon exploding.

18. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    I wound up keeping them together with sonic 2 8-bit coming before sonic 2 genesis so that story wise Tails joins Sonic after being rescued

19. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    I've got a personal timeline somewhere on here for the Classic games. Triple Trouble was between Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles, with the flash of the Death Egg in Sonic 3's ending being the weapon firing off the Chaos Emeralds that leads to TT.

20. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    That's an Olympic-level stretch but I like the creativity!