don't click here

Sonic Lost World (Wii U, 3DS, PC) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 17, 2013.

1. Conando

Conando

Is not, in fact, Raphael Member
    Lynn, MA
    MarioMedia.net FTP
    I'm not getting that feeling at all; maybe I'm just not sensitive to this. Not saying they didn't try to make a Mario-ish game, though. They certainly did.

2. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Pfft. No way is even a line of code in Lost World taken from SM3DW. I'm 99% positive we're looking at a heavily modified version of the Generations engine here.

3. Spinksy

Spinksy

UK
    It's 100% worth trying! It isn't a long level if you speed through it but I got OBSESSED with getting 100% on it first time (all eggs etc) so it ended up taking awhile as I kept messing up lol.

I do enjoy the level though and let my little boy try it and he was like 'ah cool this is good' lol

4. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    This new trailer is so awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77g1wLD98d4

5. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    Oh my god that was absolutely brilliant XD

6. Lord Nero

Lord Nero

Resident Nintendo Hater. Member
    Claymont, DE.
    Let's Plays, Work and Animation.
    Wow, that trailer got a pretty good chuckle out of me, bravo!

7. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    I finally got a chance to try the game out, now that I'm home where I can access the internet on my Wii U, and found out there's a demo. Got to play Windy Hill Act 1 and....I'm not liking it. The controls are awkward, especially when trying to move diagonally. And it makes me not want to move sideways at all, which makes the tubular level design pointless. I also didn't get nearly enough information from the hint system, so I still have no idea how to do the homing attack. Hitting the jump button twice didn't do it, and I gave up after that.

8. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    There are two buttons for jumping, each with a different effect if you press them twice - one of them jumps again, the other does the Homing Attack.

9. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Jump > A: Double jump, becomes the homing attack if targets appear. It will automatically hit every target in one go, and can be charged against multi-hit enemies (like the snails) by literally waiting and watching the target build up.

Jump > B: Double jump. Always

Jump > X/Y: Bounce attack, kick if targets appear. Cannot be charged, hits one target.

Lost World has the most complex control scheme of any Sonic game, and does an awful job of explaining it.

10. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Wouldn't it be more of the Colors engine then the Generations engine? I feel no aspect from the Generations engine at all in this game, feels more like they took Colors and heavily modified that.

Guess we wouldn't really know until we break the game and look at its meaty insides :v:

11. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    ... So you're saying they took their watered down engine, re-implemented everything from the more powerful engine and called it a day, as opposed to just compiling it for PowerPC platforms (e.g Xbox 360, Wii U)?

We are talking Wii U here, right?

12. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Everything that they wanted to do for Lost World was already in Colors, with tweaking mind you. and it was already and established Nintendo Engine, Why bring over a Generations Engine which has no experence with Nintendo consoles, heavily modify that, and re-implement Colors aspects when you just had the Colors engine ready to go for tweaking?!

13. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    It would be more time consuming and require more effort to update an older, less capable engine, than it would have been for them to just make a few physics tweaks and add some wisps to their newer, more capable engine, which already has support for the architecture. They already had the ball rolling with Generations in Planet Wisp anyway.

And the fact that it's an engine on a Nintendo console doesn't matter much; it's more about the architecture (as far as I'm aware--correct me if I'm wrong), which they already have down pat. Maybe the hardware has a few quirks, but even then, it's very doubtful that they would be carried over from the Wii.

14. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Well we could debacle the pros and cons of why it is or isn't the Gens. engine but truth be told we both really don't know what engine it is, not until the game gets broken into.

Like hell we all thought that the Colors engine was the UnWiished engine until it was broken into and found out it was the Storybook engine. Fooled us all, So I'm not about to underestimate what they can do with old engines that look like they only have 1 use.

15. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    UnWiished was Dimps' anway, Storybook engine was Sonic Team's, it makes sense haha.

But I believe they've tried to replicate the Unleashed PS3/360 engine the best they could and just altered Wii engine they had as they have the source code for both.

16. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Can we please put this common mistake to rest? Unleashed Wii was Sonic Team. Masaaki Yamagiwa was the only Dimps staff to work on the game, and he took the role of lead daytime level designer. The rest of the game was handled by Sonic Team. Your proof is right on the wiki.

17. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
  18. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Now I feel like the idiot. The credits are might not be accurate! Whoever wrote them might have just assumed that Yamagiwa was the sole Dimps staff on the game (presumably because ONM's article said that Dimps were helping with the daytime design) and pencilled that in. But just one quick search of Toshiyuki Nagahara, the director, reveals that he also worked as director on S4E1 (and Paper Mario TTYD). I'm not going to dig any further right now, but I'm wondering how much of the game was Sonic Team and how much was Dimps. And how one of Paper Mario TTYD's assistant directors went on to create such awful games. EDIT: Whoops, there I go being hasty again. Nagahara is Sonic Team staff. But still, checking the names of certain people in the Unleashed Wii credits on MobyGames does reveal that Dimps were only involved in the day stages.

19. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    [​IMG]

Sorry man, had to. :specialed:

So, is the Retro Wiki right or wrong about this?

20. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    (He's even changed his avatar to a retarded Cream to fit the mood!)