don't click here

Sonic Lost World (Wii U, 3DS, PC) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 17, 2013.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    No. It's definitely more of a "If you have a Wii U already, consider the game after a price drop."

2. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    Hm, I guess it's just another soso game like too many other Sonic games in the last few years then. They should really try to make a decent game again instead of cashing in a quick buck on the popular Sonic franchise, but what else is new... :/

As for the Wii U; well a great Sonic game would have won me over, maybe DK will instead. Although I like some Mario games (Galaxy was brilliant), they are never enough for me to buy a system for. I guess I'm not a die-hard fan of the gfx style, but granted, game-play is usually top-notch.
    Nintendo-wise, I'm more a fan of Donkey Kong, StarFox, Metroid and F-Zero. GX on the Cube was absolutely brilliant; a new installment of that game would definitely win me over.

Anyways, if I ever do get a Wii U, I will buy Lost World at budget price as some people here suggest.

3. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    As far as anyone can tell, they did try. The production values are there. This is a case of too much experimentation, too many new ideas just kind of thrown together to see what works. Rather than picking one gameplay style and really refining it, they spent the same amount of effort picking a dozen, not leaving themselves the time or budget to refine any of them as much as they needed.

4. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Production values are there? I don't agree. At all. It's one of the weaker soundtracks in the main series and unlike all others before it, was composed almost entirely by one musician (Tomoya Ohtani). That's a stark change from along the previous 3D games where they've gone out on limb to involve a range of composers. Then the graphics. They look pretty at the best of times, but it's hard not to notice how flat the lighting is and how empty the environments are. The graphical style is completely subject (some love it, some hate it), though there's a million better ways to do it. SLW only looks good under the right circumstances. The animations for every single thing that moves are gorgeous though.

5. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Hell no. Find a few other titles you're interested in before even thinking about swinging for this. Lost World is in no way a system mover.

6. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    People are right in that it's not something you should buy a WiiU for on its own, but if you're already getting/have got one, there are far worse games you could buy right now. I've had a decent amount of fun with SLW. And it's had price drops, now.

7. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member

To be fair, most of Unleashed is horrendous too. The Hub World, Werehog, bosses and even parts of Daytime Sonic are terrible in Unleashed (let's not forget Chip either, fucking terrible).

Lost World is WAY better than Unleashed.

8. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Nope.

As trash as the Werehog is to play, he gets pretty damn fun when you take the (low input) effort to make him overpowered.

Hub Worlds are non factors. Only time they're necessary for progression is once or twice in the whole story, otherwise, scamper to the active level areas and go crazy. Purely optional (but a necessity if you want to max out Sonic and the Werehog in as quickly as two hours.)

Only thing Lost World has going for it is a much more stable graphical engine and the Parkour system. Otherwise, it's bland as hell.

9. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    You just don't like it, Unleashed is just disliked for the Werehog but even then the daytime stages are awesome. What's the problem with Chip now? He's had the same role as Marine, or even Cubot has in the series now. Being the chatty annoying thing...

10. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    The daytime stages in Unleashed are cluttered, narrow, and pretty samey [​IMG]

11. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Except in the Wii version, where they're empty, and more open than they need to be in places (which makes the emptiness more obvious)... and even more samey.

12. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Sure, but the night stages in the Wii version are much nicer than in the larger version (for one thing they're all shorter than 10 minutes) and actually feel like a logical progression of older Sonic level design.

And while Unleashed Wii day is much emptier that also means I can actually see what the fuck is coming ahead like 90% of the time which ain't true of 360 Unleashed.

13. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I think it's good enough considering it's predecessor titles. Also, it's cluttered because Sonic goes too fast in too many sections, Rooftop Run is similar to the Unleashed counterpart in generations but way more fun, fixing Lost World is a lot harder because it gets SO many things wrong at the same time.

14. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I don't know where the love affair with Unleashed started, but it's nowhere near as good as people make out.

The Werehog is obviously the crippling blow. The levels are obnoxiously long (20+ minutes and even longer) and boring. The combat is a lame version of God of War, with gimmicks from God of War, like the door opening, shamelessly lifted in the exact same manner. The levels are a monotonous button masher with badly implemented QTE's, and levels that drag on far too long.

The Hub Worlds are completely pointless and involve meandering and talking to citizens (with no sense of direction) to figure out how to get to the levels: I.e. the actual game. Of course, there are also the insulting combination of the sun and moon medals as level unlocks. These stupid medal unlocks can even force you to play the Werehog levels you have already completed again to find medals to continue the game. Utterly ridiculous.

Sure, the Hub World and Medals aren't too bad when you know where to go, but on first play through the whole ordeal is frustrating and a massive buzz-kill.

As for Chip, his voice actor is one of the worst voice actors in existence. Combine this with the cringe-worthy script and you get one of the most terrible characters in video game history.

In it's defense, the Daytime levels are very fun (if pretty shallow), but they are over way to quick and are far too simplistic to justify the many glaring errors of the game.

Sonic Unleashed is terrible. Sure, the game is very pretty, I would give it that.

Whilst Lost World is hardly perfect, and is a big step down from Generations, it's still miles better than Unleashed.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    [​IMG]

You're shoving your opinion down people's throats as facts. I can easily spin these points you made to make my point. I think the werehog's gameplay wasn't bad, but the character was dumb. I always thought it'd be perfect for Knuckles. The Hub Worlds were small and relatively harmless. Perhaps not executed in the best way, but they seemed more natural than Adventure's. Plus the pre-stage hub sections were kind of fun. Chip is a side character in a game with skippable cutscenes, who cares. Also how are the medals any different from animal farming in this game (bit more annoying in Unleashed but the idea was the same)?

What about this game? Stupid boss fights every other act, shoe horned motion controls to ruin wisps (the patch fixed most of that), bullshit insta kill gimmicks, possibly the dullest Sonic soundtrack of all time, the extreme Mario ripoffs in almost every aspect, the constant bouncing between sections via springs or cannons completely removing all control from the player yet are boring to watch, those awful, slow cloud sections, a bunch of one dimensional characters, that snowball bullshit, etc etc. So ya, I thought Unleashed was a better game. You think this game's better. More power to ya. Do I despise this game? No, and there are parts of it that I like, but these are all my opinion's here.

16. It's because it came after Sonic 06.

17. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I'm not forcing my opinions down people's throats, I'm just stunned by the Unleashed love affair. It's the fact people don't acknowledge the game's obvious flaws that irks me.

I'm happy to concede the list of flaws you have laid out for Lost World. I would argue that the animal farming, whilst completely ridiculous, is not as bad as the medal collecting (since you can farm them in 5 minutes in the circuses whilst the medals take considerably longer). However, your point is solid, they are still pointless and stupid. I also think the level gimmicks, whilst dumb, are not as long or obnoxious as the Werehog or Hub World meandering.

Don't get me wrong, Lost World is not great by any means (it's probably not even good), but I still think it has far less game-impacting flaws than Unleashed.

18. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Medal collection in Unleashed was easily the game's biggest flaw. The werehog gameplay is not particularly interesting or groundbreaking but it's terrible or broken or anything, and I wouldn't say the QTEs are implemented any more poorly than other QTE - that really just hinges on whether or not you're bothered by QTEs in the first place. (The stages do drag out, though.) The hub worlds are inoffensive and actually pretty charming and there's only one five-minute part of the whole hours-long game where you have to actually talk to people.

And the daytime stages are by no definition simplistic (or over too quick - they all run from 3 to 7 minutes or so on your first playthrough, which is a fine length for a Sonic stage).

Also >2013 >giving a shit about story quality in a Sonic game

19. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    The QTE's are implemented poorly in that they are essentially God of War's spectacular kill animations, but way dumbed down (for obvious reasons) and have very little, if one, animation per enemy.

I wouldn't agree that the Hub Worlds are inoffensive. They are a pace breaker that give no direction for the player, instead dropping the player in the middle of nowhere to stumble to the level. They serve no purpose other than to stretch out the game's length (and perhaps for slight atmospheric purposes).

The Daytime stages are simplistic in that they are very 'corridor' like, with little freedom of movement or complex level design. As for the length of the levels, 3 minutes is very short when compared to the 20+ minute Werehog levels.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    This is also true, but I went back to replay Unleashed (the whole story mind you, not just Sonic's normal levels) years after it came out and I still enjoyed it