don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

OXM Preview, courtesy of Shadzter at TSS/SSMB:
    I like the part in bold.

2. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    The site that we do not speak of has some intriguing news that just went online.

JP Sonic Channel Hints at Major Announcement for Sonic Anniversary

Source: You know the one.

My educated guess for this one is that they'll drop the bomb of the Sonic Generations playable demo (GHZ) on XBLA and PSN. Apologies if this has been posted. I've been away from the thread for a while. Demo on June 23? Possibly.

3. That's some pretty good info right there... Thanks for posting.

This does clear up a few questions I've had... such as how they are approaching the transitioning of 3d=>2d. If anyone here has played some segments of Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded and the 2d platforming sections that they placed in there was probably how I thought they were going to go with it. I'm still really worried about how they will handle the the SA2 levels though as those stages are really 3D based.

And I'm also liking how they are setting the storyline up. Its kind of like time traveling+Epic Mickey+Sonic. Its actually a plausible sounding plot point as to why they are roaming around zones and levels.

4. I like that all the old zones are getting something akin to the cave in GHZ; like they say, it keeps things fresh and interesting. I'm liking pretty much everything I'm reading here.

5. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    So, they aren't just rehashing? They are actually doing new things to keep the levels fresh?

Goddamnit Sonic Team, why aren't you in charge of Sonic 4 :argh:

6. Felik

Felik

Minecart says hi :specialed:

7. I'm pretty curious to see how many levels they will choose from each game and how deep they're going to go into Sonic's history.

8. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    I don't follow. Especially since Sonic Team didn't work on Sonic 4

9. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    I think he means that the minecart was that 'something new' that added freshness to the Labyrinth Zone throwback. Make of that what you will, since I heard the minecart was actually pretty fun despite being a totally jarring inclusion. Have yet to steal my bro's iPhone to play it yet. Regardless, I'm pretty sure it won't change my overall opinion of Sonic 4.

So, who bets those big announcements will come in June rather than late May? Eh? Eh?

10. gold lightning

gold lightning

Eh, I thought the torch was better than the minecart and it was also original itself.

And to stay on topic; I have to say that Generations is doing rehashing the only way I like it. I mean sure its Green Hill, but I don't know whats around the corner this time, and it looks awe inspiringly beautiful. I can't wait to see more stages.

11. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    Well, I personally face it as I face Sonic 1 8-bit's, Sonic 2 8-bit's and Sonic Blast's Green Hill Zones: they are the same zone, yet each game has their own original interpretation to them. Sonic Generation's Green Hill Zone (if they are still adopting the "zone" sufix for stage names) is no different.

I wonder, however, how they are going to mix all the different islands stages together. We have South Island, where everything started. Then we have Westside Island. And we still have Floating Island, Carnival Island (if they are going to add any Knuckles' Chaotix stage) and Flickies' Island (if they are going to add any Sonic 3D Blast stages).

I hope they don't commit a day-on mistake such as retconing every level to just one place, and completly neglect the existence of the other islands (considering they already retconed Floating Island to just Angel Island, and part of Mystic Ruins).

12. serpx

serpx

The original company (not team) that made Sonic 1-3 working on Sonic 4? That makes no sense. Contract that shiz out.

13. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    But then how does that make Splash Hill Zone unoriginal? I mean, I know I don't like Splash Hill Zone because it's a Rush stage masquerading as a Sonic 1 stage, but I'm not following your logic.

14. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

From how I view it, Green Hill Zone is a huge island in comparison to Sonic. We only saw a little bit in Sonic 1, the same section in Adventure 2. a different part in Sonic Advance 3 considering the entire world was ripped into 7 pieces, the same part in Sonic Battle, the 3rd act in Sonic Chronicles, and now we're going back to a similar place again.

If you've played Sonic Advance 3, you may remember how they joined the worlds together- the characters travelled through some time/space zone. They could perhaps do a similar thing here.I also don't think they'd join all the islands together, they're very seperate from each other.

Also, I want them to include some Sonic Advance zones. That series was what helped keep Sonic going. I wouldn't be here now if I hadn't have played Sonic Advance 2 back in christmas 2003.

15. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Baseless speculation, but the rumor of a 3DS version got me thinking, along with the idea that it could possibly focus on the handheld games.

Remember how SEGA is bringing Game Gear titles to the 3DS, such as Sonic games (I don't remember which ones, was the first one Sonic Chaos)? This would be a great way to help promote those games, and more importantly, vice versa. Someone dropping a few bucks on the GG titles in 3D may want to try out the much-fussed-about game that came out.

Maybe doesn't make much sense, just throwing that out there.

16. Tiberious

Tiberious

Yeah, I'm furry. Got a problem? Oldbie
    When we do get the demo, will I be correct in guessing that the Tech-y types will be at the ready to start tearing into file formats from minute 1?

17. Wouldn't it be cool if the 3DS version of Generations wasn't the same game as the PS3/360 version, but instead had levels from different handheld games like the game gear games, gameboy advance games, and DS games?

We've had different versions of games before, Unleashed comes to mind, the levels (while based on the same concept art) were radically different from Wii to PS3/360, same with Colors on the DS.

18. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    I think first they will check the accuracy of the physics, or possible lack of.

But I'd love to see what they can find inside the demo files, ultimately, I'll be raging because I don't have a 360 to try this in anymore :argh:

19. Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Where Fear and Cryptic Puzzles lie... Member
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.