don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tanks

Tanks

I'm just gonna jump out here and say that it looks nothing like Colors' engine at all to me. Possibly a major edit of said physics engine, which would make sense I guess, but not the full on engine.

Also, don't worry about what you post dude. You're entitled to your opinion. Biggest rule here is not to be a jerk.

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    OK, that does make sense. I would have been in Cov that week for Freshers, so yeah. =P

3. That would be absolutely awesome! since they probably won't have any game gear levels in the HD Version of the game.

4. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    Ohh If they did that. I sware, maybe when people talk about the classics, they'll finally include the Game gear and SMD titles.

5. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I think level wise, you can expect the same levels from the console version, if it is true. A twist would be they had a few different levels, ala Sonic 1/2 GG.

6. Arctides

Arctides

I am a bloated bag of hate. Oldbie
    I'm still waiting for SEGA to reveal that this is all just a massive trolling. It makes more sense than them actually making something their fans want to see.

7. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    I'm guessing your brain is still stuck somewhere between 2003 and 2007 right? Y'know the era where SEGA and Sonic Team didn't listen to a fucking word we said and did their own thing.

We craaaazy fans should have a say in what should go into their games I think SEGA is starting to realize that. So this "BAWWW SEGA DOESN'T LISTEN TO FANS!!" way of thinking has ended.

8. Well, to be fair, right after Sonic Heroes, they did start listening to the fans.

The wrong fans.

And then we got Shadow the Hedgehog, the game.

Anyway, since this is May, I wonder if Sega will give us another teaser on Generations. They did say they'd be doing cool stuff up until Sonic's "birthday" next month.

9. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    I thought Heroes was them kind of listening to their fans.

10. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    I think ashram hit the nail on the head, maybe they were listening, but not from the right fans. I think now they have a better filter on who is legitmately giving good feedback and someone whos just bitching because sonic isn't pixel 2d anymore.

11. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    At what point was Heroes ever visibly influenced by fan input? Actually, how do you figure Heroes was for the wrong fans? It returned to a colorful and imaginative art direction, brought back special stages, the Chaotix and the zone/act structure, and there's not a single person out there who didn't think switching characters on the fly was a good idea on paper. There's no blaming the fans for shitty game design.

Come to think of it, I don't think I was ever so excited for a game as I was for Heroes. X-treme and Adventure hardly came close for me when information was at a premium back then. That's why I crashed so hard, it was the first time a game had ever actually disappointed me.

12. Retroman

Retroman

If this game fails, then that's it. No more Sega of Japan or Sonic Team (JP) is gonna make any Sonic games anymore. (American developers would be more skilled at making games)

Why? Their teams sucks, they are unorganised, we got this guy who hasn't got a clue of how to make Sonic good and plus the Japanese teams (except a few) cannot read english so the fans will send just something they don't understand.

Hopefully (And I'm half-pessimistic, half-optimistic) this game doesn't blow (and when I mean blow, I mean it's not a mumble-jumble of previous fail titles in a game)
    Modern Sonic on-rails isn't something new. Won't be. It's like Sonic Colours with a new map, nothing new. That's like Modern Warfare, you have the same engine just different guns.

IMHO If you want to, then don't make him on-rail like pressing boost-boost-boost, have some SA-style level layout where the player can explore a hidden life, a powerup, a secret or for speed runs. Add spindash, some more animations and changing moves (Like in Sonic Heroes where you can do Sonic Whirlwind, or SA2 where you can choose a different move)

Space out things, you done a good job with VA's and writing, just fix up on your gameplay and stop making it so linear. He's not all about running straight lines you know?

Pudgy Sonic, well... I have yet to see but work on fixing the textures, the eye shine and add the brown tint to his eyes. Adjust the physics close to the original and listen to your fans.

If you guys don't aim well with this 'Big' game, then I'm afraid you guys just suck. Get someone else to put that love and charm back into that pudgy old hedgehog we all fondly grew up with.

*Prepares for some A-hole admin/moderator to say stop being butthurt*

13. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    I love how when a Japanese team comes out with a game that an American gamer doesn't like, that gamer almost always mentions at some point or other that an American team should have made it. :v:

Truth of the matter is there is no "that's it." Even if you're right about the Sega of Japan failing at life, they'll more than likely keep making the games.

14. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I was not disappointed by heroes. Great art direction, great style, simplistic gameplay without the need for machines or hammers or fishing, and the story was pretty cool too, and not so cutscene laden as previous instalments. Hell, I even think the controls are near spot on. I love Heroes. I'd love to visit that style of world again- Colours came close, but there's been nothing like it since.

What disappointed me about Heroes? that ONE section of Rail Canyon where you had to jump and lightdash along the rings, otherwise you'd trip on the edge of the floor and fall.

Even "WE'RE SONIC HEROES" was so cool, it was cheesy as fuck. We need that sometimes.

15. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    Yeah, the Chaotix were brought back alright, but then Iizuka tried passing them off as entirely different characters, simply because they were redesigned. Going by his logic, Modern Sonic, Tails, Amy, and Robotnik must be different characters from their classic counterparts, too.

16. Retroman

Retroman

I know, I know.
    But I will wait and play the game to see "IF" they finally got everything right (and btw I'm not american, Sonic isn't mean't to give you so much speed and movement with the camera moving that you have eye-strain)
    But anyways I am looking forward to mostly Classic Sonic's levels and gameplay. Why? I like the cartoonish, fantasy colours that gives the old school vibe of playing those games, and it's CLASSIC SONIC FOR GOD'S SAKE... Ehem, I think that the formula is simple (Like that's the first time it's being said on this forum) and can easily be built on. Oh well, no personal attack or insult but hopefully they deliver as much as they hype, hopefully abit more extras and plz, PLZ Sonic CD levels remade :specialed:

17. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    People are going to want to balk at a post like that, but Sonic Team really isn't in the clear just yet. I've had plenty of nice things to say about Colors, but it was all in the concept, not so much the execution. I didn't even bother to complete it 100%, and that alone might even suggest I enjoyed Heroes more!

And Generations is still something I actively did not want to see until they let it all hang loose and proved they could make something interesting out of a very stale concept. What I want is to see the classic gameplay principles executed properly in 3D; on one hand, they're giving me some passable 2D action in a series that's already perfected it 17 years ago, I've had my fill there. On the other, they're regurgitating the same failed 3D gameplay they've now decided to moor themselves to and it looks blander than ever.

All together, I expect an adequate experience, but there's no way this is going to come close to even SA2 for playability. What's got me excited is that this has forced Sonic Team to thoroughly reevaluate the roots of the franchise (and the inherent superiority of the classic design, of course), which is great because there wasn't a single dev on the team who even had a passing familiarity with what the series is supposed to be. This is a tasty treat, but it's what comes next that counts. I'm not optimistic.

That's fine. That's how it should be. I don't know who these shitty doppelgangers are that came in and started gassing up the franchise, but they're not who you think they are. You can see it in their eyes. This Capgras delusion is the final barrier preserving the dignity of the classic canon, and Generations is poised to bring it all crashing down.

18. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    They won't get "everything" right, that's nearly a given. The question is more whether they get "enough" right.

Also, eye strain? Never heard that complaint before, even in jest. It's never been about moving too fast or moving too much, so much as not doing a whole lot along the way.

19. Felik

Felik

Yeah because chaotix had so much personality to begin with.
    Lets see. In Knuckles' Chaotix Espio was a generic guy "with an attitude", Vector was a weirdo who liked music and charmy was just a bee.
    And in heroes they were ninja, detective who likes music and a hyperactive kid.

Stop bitching about such subjective things like designs or story already.
    If you like to play as a Mickey mouse-like sonic because he is ageless and cute that is your opinion.
    I like modern designs more that classic because I think they have much more character to them and are just overall more interesting.

Subjective:
    Heroes was a good game. Modern chaotix are cooler and more interesting than they older counterparts.

Objective:
    Heroes was a best-seller.

20. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    More is less. I like Espio better when he acts more like a chameleon and less like a stereotypical ninja/Shadow wannabe. We knew Vector liked music before Heroes, and we knew Charmy was some 16 year old prince. The bigger point is that Ritz and Mystical Ninja are right: they are different characters. Retcons, if you will. Some were more clean slates than others, like Espio and Vector, but Charmy was significantly altered. Character is more than just voices and dialogue. Character is something that can be communicated via body language in animation and art style. So it's not laughable to say they had enough character in Chaotix to be more or less preferable than their Heroes remake, and I for one prefer their appearance before Heroes, because pretty much every character in Heroes was annoying with some exceptions: Espio and Rouge. Espio was just lame, but Rouge actually had some decent personality growth from SA2.

Subjective: The dialogue and voicework in Heroes was garbage.

Objective: You can't say "Super Power of Teamwork" with a straight face. Also, the controls were slippery.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.