don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    It's a perspective thing more than an actual graphical change. The main difference in the "look" of the level that I can see is that the slope formations match whatever style of play the given Sonic uses, with Classic Sonic having more complex slopes to accommodate his physics and Modern Sonic just having a lot of flowing ups-and-downs a la Unleashed. (There is one rather Unleashed-like run-under-and-around-a-circular-slope-into-a-pair-of-autosprings bit showcased at one point, but as long as it's used in moderation, I wouldn't really give a shit about it myself.)

I imagine that the backgrounds of respective levels and sections were designed with whatever perspective you're looking at it from in mind, though, which may account for some of the difference you're seeing.

2. I've noticed what you say. But then I paid closer attention: I think there's a hidden bumper in the palm tree, because its sound can be subtly heard. I hope it is, because it'd say the "perfect" physics are still possible :)

3. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I think I can hear it, but I'm not sure... I sure as hell can't see it, even frame by frame.

4. Tylinos

Tylinos

After seeing the gameplay videos, I'm actually worried for a reason I wasn't expecting: Modern Sonic's gameplay. Now, I like the Unleashed/Colors gameplay. Unleashed gave us something I felt was flawed-but-fun with the daytime gameplay, and Colors then improved on it. After Colors, I had faith that they could continue improving the Unleashed/Colors gameplay as time went on.

However, seeing this, I noticed that the Modern Sonic gameplay gives off a pretty distinct Unleashed vibe, not a Colors one. That's when it struck me that it was said that the Storybook team worked on Colors, and that seeing how far along Generations is, it seems pretty likely that it was done by another team while Colors was still being made, probably the current version of the Unleashed team.

While the Storybook team took what we had in the PS3/360 Unleashed and improved it, it looks like this team just kept the PS3/360 Unleashed gameplay flatout. That's not gameplay evolution, it's devolution. Again, I liked that gameplay, but it feels just sucky to be going back to it instead of sticking with or improving on the Colors version.

It's like going back to an earlier version of a physics engine when the current version is an improvement, or buying a new computer with a good-but-outdated operating system when you had its improved successor on your old one. Sure, you may have liked the old version, and it may have had a few things about it you liked more than the new one, but overall it's just taking a few steps back when that really isn't needed.

5. Zallirog

Zallirog

Uh, what were we talking about? Member
    I'm not entirely certain on which teams worked on Generations, however, I would like to say that GHZ is only the first stage in the game and I'm fairly certain that as you progress further and further the stages will become more like Colors for M.Sonic the further you get. GHZ isn't really known for having a bunch of gimmicks or anything, it's usually a pretty basic stage so it's tough to judge what all of M.Sonics stages will end up being like right now. To me for being the first stage it seems okay. On top of that the game is supposed to progress all the way up to colors so you probably will get at least 1 colors stage.

6. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    You know, in the spirit of giving players a choice between old style and new, the game should come with a reversible cover. One featuring modern sonic, with modern sonic style box art, and the other side featuring a cheesy genesis style box art, complete with 90's US style art.

Any chance of passing this suggestion along, ruby?

7. Zallirog

Zallirog

I rather like that suggestion personally, don't know how practical it would be though...

8. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    I'd actually like to see the old Japanese style box art quite frankly.

Or just make multiple versions of boxart.

9. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    That might explain why Sonic only uncurled partway through midair (instead of immediately upon leaving the ramp), but it seems a weird place to put a bumper, and I don't think I saw his trajectory change. It's too blurred to see, but I think I did hear something when Sonic came in contact with that tree.

10. That is very true. Sonic Colors first stage was mostly behind the back, then got more to platforming once you progress in the game. I just hope with the 2 distinct play styles they have in Generations, that they don't stick modern sonic with only speed sections constantly, and classic with only platforming constantly. With the different move sets of each sonic, you can potentially make a lot of versatile levels.

11. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

Wouldn't be the first game to do it. Dissidia had a reversible cover with the heroes on one side and the villains on the other, with a different set of screenshots on each.

12. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace

You're Under Arrest, okay? Member
    Santiago, Chile
    Sonic Paradise.net - Noticias de Sonic en Español (Yes, the "Ñ" will rule the world).
    I sincerely have to send my contrats to Sega for keep this info without any visual leaks for so long. Now, please Ruby, the next time, don't forget send a memo to Sega Spain with these lines: "EVERY GAME DISCUSSED INTERNALLY IS SECRET, SO YOU CAN'T DISCUSS IT WITH PRESS AS YOU WERE DISCUSSING THE PLACES YOU VISITED ON HOLYDAYS WITH YOUR FAMILY". Or simply, "This is top secret info".

Thank you.

13. Zallirog

Zallirog

Sorry to confirm this but there is no bumper/spring in that tree. If there were he would have rolled in the air like he does any other time he hits a spring in balled form in the rest of the game play footage and I watched that scene carefully and there were no flips or visible spring in the tree top. However, the game is not even halfway finished yet so anything that is wonky like that will most likely be corrected.

14. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    I think everyone here would breath a big heavy sigh of relief if you could tell us two specific things about Classic Sonic's controlling. First, does Sonic have a slope factor? In other words if Sonic is moving down a hill at say a 45 degree angle and Sonic curls up into a ball by pressing down will he gain speed as a result of spinning and the slope of the hill. Second, if Sonic is in one of those mirrored half pipes as pictured here (minus the bumper of course). If in the mirrored half pipes with some speed and spinning can Sonic scale the walls going back and forth between the halfpipes?

If you can answer yes to both these questions I will have a lot more confidence in this game.

15. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Didn't he hit an item monitor that fell down seconds later?

edit: thinking of wrong ramp, disregard

16. Indigo Rush

Indigo Rush

I've analyzed that video at least 100 times, and there is no spring launching Sonic up that ramp.

Even if there were, his initial upward animation would be different. He wouldn't be walking in mid-air unless he was falling downward after hitting a spring. Before this, he'd either be twirling around or looking upwards.

When is the other occasion where Sonic walks in mid-air? Walking off a slope.

Uncurling.

17. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

There was definitely a sound of some kind at that moment, though. Not a spring sound, those are loud enough to be clear. This was more random, I don't recognize it and it's too overshadowed by the commentary for me to tell what it's supposed to be.

Maybe it's nothing, but I'm curious about it.

18. Indigo Rush

Indigo Rush

Listening to it closely, it's probably a new "wooshing" sound effect to help add to the sense of speed.

19. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

It didn't sound like a whoosh, and it's extremely odd timing for that if it is.

20. Indigo Rush

Indigo Rush

OH!

That sound it background noise from the interview! You hear it again a little after Sonic lands.

Talk about a wild goose chase! XD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.