don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yea I'm curious. Who came up with the idea of Not Bowser and his Not Kooplings? Were the characters made and then the writers had to make the plot work with them (along with giving them "personalities") or was the game written, they made the characters and then Sonic Team had to make the game around that.

2. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

What does everyone think about this?
    http://youtu.be/WUCpfigCaOE

It perfectly explains some of the big issues I have with the games that Sonic Team puts out these days, especially Forces as it's following close behind Mania. I really dislike a lot of what we know about Forces, but the worst part is just how it's not really improving upon past attempts at all. Sonic Team are horribly complacent.

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Somebody go back in time and send that video to SEGA of the past, pls.

4. Dissident

Dissident

Sami Member
    Someone mod Sonic CD PC so when you go to the past the machine is replaced by a Sonic Team machine spitting out bad ideas and the bad future has generic Sonic Runners music and all the badnik sprites have copies of bad Sonic games plastered onto their faces

Edit - Also yeah I saw that video earlier today and couldn't agree more.

5. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    See, and I felt like that was one of the worst lines in Colors. It's memorable, sure, but it didn't make any sense whatsoever in context.

6. plushifoxed

plushifoxed

that power is yet unknown Oldbie
    jazzy nyc
    puella magi chroma magica
    please, no yaoi in this thread
    [​IMG]

7. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Are you talking about the Deadly Six? According to this interview Sonic Team came up with the design and personalities. The writers mostly did the dialogue.

If you are talking about Cubot and Orbot, according to this interview Pontac had to fight to keep them in as Sega didn't think they were appropriate for Eggman.
    I agree with Sega, I don't think Cubot and Orbot suit Eggman. They might help with comedy and exposition, but I think having them was a mistake.

8. LowSeasCaroz

LowSeasCaroz

Hessia, Germany
    Desperately trying to make a Turrican clone
    Oh god I never bothered to listen to the stuff the Deadly Six say during the levels...

Plz tell me no one was insane enough to write a Sonic/Zazz fic

9. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Orbot, or rather "SA-55" was pretty great in Unleashed. Ever since then he's been annoying, and Cubot much worse. They only really work in Boom.

The Deadly Six though... they were always awful. And while it was Sonic Team who designed them, I want to know who cooked up the idea of making Lost World a relative Mario clone.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    So ok, Sonic Team made the worst part of Lost World's plot then they should be to blame. However I didn't know Pontac fought to keep Orbot and Cubot in. I like the idea of Eggman having a robot assistant, I guess since I'm so used to the idea from the various cartoons. But Cubot can kindly fuck off now. Orbot is fine, I enjoy his sarcasm and passive aggressiveness towards Eggman.

And yea, Not Bowser and Not Koopalings was a nod to the Deadly Six, as they're blatant rip offs along with all of Lost World. And if Sonic Team thought of the Deadly Six I'd have to imagine they decided to make the game a sorta Mario clone.

11. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Sega: "We need new writers to handle the stories and characterizations of our most important international multi million dollar franchise. How familiar are you with Sonic the Hedgehog?"
    Pontac and Graff: "what the what hog"
    Sega: "You're hired."

12. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

No, I mean literally which individual decided to take the game in that direction? Was it an order from upper management? We'll never know.

13. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Guys, this character creator is obviously Sonic Team's attempt to re-design Boom Sonic. The third play-style was obviously originally going to be the Sonic Boom characters, but with RoL being a worse flop than '06, They changed Boom Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Amy to this generic CaC with different abilities and gadgets. This is why the game took so much dev time while not really being different for Generations. It's Sega's attempt to salvage a play-style design (Boom) while distancing this game from garbage that was RoL.

[​IMG]

Also while we are on the subject: I thought Colors had an awful story with cringe-worthy dialog. And it only went downhill from there. Honestly I though '06 was more fun to watch through.

14. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I wouldn't take just the presence of the grappling hook as a sign of Custom Hero originally being Boom Sonic. It's become a pretty common video game trope these past few years. And it seems to work pretty differently here from how it worked in Boom.

15. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    I wouldn't think much of it normally except that they gave us that 25th anniversary picture with Boom Sonic a full year ago. Also there are 4 characters in Boom each with different abilities including Tails with his gadgets.

16. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I remember them saying even back then when the picture was released that it wasn't for a game. Can't remember where though, probably on Twitter or something.

17. rebelcheese

rebelcheese

To be fair, Colors turned out pretty well. Lost World was another story.

18. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    Colors turned out passable, not pretty well. It was still pretty weak, but the plot being relegated to purely Sonic, Tails and Eggman sort of helped mask a lot of the problems the story and writing had. People are just easier on it because it was a breath of fresh air from the years of super srs bsns Sonic we had prior.

I can get behind Pontac and Graff's philosophy of making Sonic more lighthearted, just not their execution of it.

19. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Based on this article, it sounds like Sonic Team, possibly even Iizuka himself, came up with it, as they wanted to do something new. And it seems for Sonic Team doing something new involves copying Mario.

20. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    The story isn't the most important thing in a Sonic Game, and Sonic Colors and Lost Worlds seems to go in the AoSTH direction.