don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Maybe it isn't to you. I legit unironically liked the stories in the Adventure-Unleashed era of Sonic games though.

2. Amnimator

Amnimator

^Yeah, those games get a lot of flak for being like discount shonen in plot, but I feel it worked way better than the Saturday morning cartoon style they're going for recently. It also helps that those writers in the Adventure games knew a thing or two when it came to Sonic.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That's why Flynn would be the best choice. He knows how to balance the two styles.

4. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    I too like my Sonic with a side of actual narrative. :thumbsup:

5. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Oh how I wish. He's the only writer anywhere in the series who has ever done the series any justice, and the only writer who actually knows and combines story with narrative correctly.

6. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Gene and Ruby hinting at showing more Park Avenue stuff: https://twitter.com/gene_hf/status/866006074708459520

7. synchronizer

synchronizer

Why does the announcer not say "BURST," for a few of those wisp pick-ups? That's kind of strange.

8. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    It could be because:
    - Sound effects like the "BURST" were added on top of the video or
    - It would be annoying to hear it continously with all those wisps capsules near each other

9. LowSeasCaroz

LowSeasCaroz

Hessia, Germany
    Desperately trying to make a Turrican clone
    Tomoya Ohtani tweeted that the full version of Park Avenue will be made available "in the near future". Still pretty vague, but it's something...?

10. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    I'd imagine he's talking about E3, I'm certain Forces will have a booth there, and the demo levels will likely be Park Avenue for Modern and OC and Green Hill for Classic.

11. Lizam

Lizam

Lizam Member
    Australia
    Mario & Sonic: Worlds Clash
    I actually don't really care which direction of story Sonic games go goes with. Either the narrative convuluted plot heavy seen from Adventure-Unleashed or the simple slapstick light of Colours-Lost World, just as long as they do it well . So far, everything has felt like average effort at best, and I'll only give Sonic Adventure 1&2 a pass for it as they were released during a time where a lot of video game stories were terrible.

Honestly, if they can't do it right then I'd prefer they revert back to simple minimal/unvoiced sequences with a simple plot ala Sonic 3k (and a lot of current Mario, DK country returns, Rayman etc). Yay for Mania :eng101:

12. LowSeasCaroz

LowSeasCaroz

Hessia, Germany
    Desperately trying to make a Turrican clone
    This isn't going to surprise anyone here, but Shun Nakamura just confirmed that parts of the stages that were revealed in the trailers will be playable at this year's E3, as well as a "2D part" that apparently hasn't been shown yet.

https://twitter.com/SonicJPNews/status/866988327089692673

EDIT: Forgot this...

https://twitter.com/SonicJPNews/status/866405479311974410

So it looks like the buddy/avatar will just be an extra character with whom you can/have to(?) play through the regular Modern Sonic stages. Eh.

13. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Don't think that's what's going to happen. I think it's more likely to be handled like Generations' challenge acts. It will take smaller chunks of the main Modern Sonic levels and alter them to cater to the third playstyle. We can confirm this from the latest trailer which uses the same area for both Modern Sonic and the Custom character, just sans grind rail, which has been replaced with grapple points.

[​IMG]

Custom character levels as complete afterthought filler confirmed :P

14. Burezu

Burezu

Butt. Member
    Kyushu, JP
    linktr.ee/IHMTTY
    If Sonic games are going to have a story they need to either be super simple like S3&K, or just go really stupid with them. I'm talking so big and dumb that it completely removes any sense of normalized reality. I'd still love to see what the Archie team could write up for a game, but I'm sure Penders would throw some tantrum about it and ruin the project over some hidden clause.

Also, if the custom character's levels are just copies of Modern Sonic but without Wisps I'd be happy. Hopefully it won't all just be useless filler levels.

15. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I think they've said that the custom character will be its own play style.

I would have prefered it if he just did the Classic/Modern levels but could use his abilities to access new routes. Sonic Team don't exactly have the best record for handling multiple play styles.

16. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

The footage we have of Your Name the Hedgehog so far shows him in many of the same areas as Modern Sonic, only with different object layouts ala Colours/Generations extra acts/missions. I think that's how they're going to handle him - running through repurposed versions of the levels already built for Modern and Classic Sonic.

17. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    One thing I hope they have in Sonic Forces that has been missing from the past few games is a way to play from level to level without being sent back to the hub or to a cut scene. I really appreciated the Egg Shuttle in Sonic Colors because I could play it like the Genesis games, going from level to level. In comparison, I don't ever have a desire to play Generations since I play a level, back to the menu, select the next level, then play. It breaks the immersion and flow, and I hope there is some sort of classic option to just sit and play.

18. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

I never really thought about this, but now that I do, I think this is a really good point. Hub worlds are great and all, but going from level to level seamlessly would be a huge improvement.
    I think the best thing to do would be what SA2 did, where there's a story mode and a stage select screen with extra missions for levels you've already completed in the story.

And while they're at it, perhaps a chao garden? Maybe? Please?

19. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    That, my friend, is a can of worms you don't want to open around here. People have very different opinions about Chao Gardens, and that's all I'm going to say about that.

20. Felik

Felik

Hacking scene to the rescue!!!