don't click here

Sonic 2 HD General

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Lanzer, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    My god, those are gorgeous. :specialed:

2. ErictheSquirrel

ErictheSquirrel

Kiba Member
    College, making YouTube videos
    With every update on this, its just getting me more and more excited. I'm already drooling with anticipation from seeing that one concept art for Chemical Plant, excitement cannot be contained.

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    They need a better blue. Something lighter and more bluey (e.g. the one from the game, rather than the one from the Japanese cover). The spines are also very inconsistent in places (if it was a proper sprite sheet, I could tell if this was down to some sort of motion).

Very good start, but I'd hate to think this was the "end". It's definitely off-model in some places.

4. Retroman

Retroman

One animation frame has two right hands as noted on Facebook

5. CorralSummer

CorralSummer

Sonic 2 HD
    Take another look. It's the back of his left hand, not a second right hand.

6. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    That sprite set is pure sex. I hope it has the opportunity to be used outside of a S2HD context one day in an original fan game!

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    For example, Sonic's forehead seems a bit too big in the oldest frames.

Also, really small nitpick, but Sonic didn't put his arms like that while rolling until Sonic 3. In Sonic 1/2/CD he crossed his arms when curled up.

8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Screw small nitpicks:

http://I.imgur.com/qxGEvmG.png

too much time spent looking at box art or tiny little sprites in twenty-year-old games.
    [​IMG]
    These were the sorts of bases used for everything Sonic-related in Japan between 1992 and 1998. You see it in all the television adverts, that "Man of the Year" short in Sonic Jam, the internal Sega magazine Harmony, a bazillion Sega World arcades - that's the look you should be ideally going for.

9. Retroman

Retroman

So when will a demo be released?

It's soooooo good.

10. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    I'm wondering this too. I remember reading a statement a few months ago suggesting that a demo was looking near.

11. via S2HD Facebook page:

'S2HD is looking to bring another team member onboard! If you have experience in creating motion graphics and menu interfaces for games, we'd be interested in talking to you. This position will be responsible for the design and creation of various interface elements including (but not limited to) the main menu and options screen; the individual will also be able to work with our programmers to implement their work in such a way that fully brings his or her vision into production with the final game. After Effects and Premiere knowledge is a big plus as well. Please send us a link to prior work you have done to our staff email address for evaluation and we'll reply shortly after reviewing it. We look forward to hearing from you!'

12. via FB:

'Music is really what brings a game a life, so we're very pleased to share with you a few samples of music from one of our talented musicians, Toni Leys, in this edition of Staff Attack! As you may know, we've decided to revisit the soundtrack from the Alpha release to build upon and improve it for a unique Sonic 2 experience. Click on the image in the blog entry to learn more and to access the media players to hear what Toni has been cooking up!'

http://sonic2hd.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/staff-attack-toni-leys.html

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Pretty nice, but...

The first time I listened to that track, I thought there was something off. Then I read about the idea of inserting part of Gimmick Mt. Zone and turned out that it was precisely that small part's fault... which, to me, doesn't evoke the GG level that much anyway. =\

14. Falk

Falk

Impressive.

(Those drum samples though :( )

15. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Sounds pretty good, but I think the song feels a bit lacking in instruments. Maybe its something to do with the drums as Falk mentioned; it seems as if the bass and percussion of the original was downplayed / stripped out of this remix. Even given it's an "Act 2" remix interpretation, it still feels much more lighter than it should IMO.

16. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    I feel like original song sounds more like an 80's song and that the new one lacks that. I'm not sure that I've explained myself very well, but that's what I think.

17. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Oh wow I actually like something in Sonic 2 HD... sort-of.

Although it's an uphill battle with Metropolis Zone. I forget who was responsible for it, but the one posted here back in the alpha days was (and still is) one of the best Metropolis remakes around. Bit too much electric guitar, perhaps, but there's other instruments in there that are spot on (see: the bit at 0:47)

This one needs new instruments. I agree - it doesn't sound very 80s, and it really should. Needs more industry, less bleeping, but I don't mind subtle reworkings of the melody or whatever to keep each act fresh.

Not sure hiding Gimmick Mountain zone in there is really worth doing, but each to their own.

18. Falk

Falk

If anything, the Act 1 should retain the 80s feel. Act 2 should deviate a fair bit more.

S3&K's act remixes deviate way more, for example.

but hey, look it's falk armchair commentating again :V

19. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Yeah, you should stay out of this. It's not like you, of all people, know anything about music :rolleyes: :specialed:

20. Falk

Falk

I don't know anything about doing music for Sonic fan projects nor HD remasters.