don't click here

Sonic 2 HD General

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Lanzer, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Well what with Mania now a conerstone of the series, I'd wish Sega would just throw some money at this so they could finish the thing!

2. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    I know it's just in the shading, but I'd a expect greenish shading instead, or some grey to go along with the main black. I'm not saying it doesn't look good, just more modern than I'd want.

3. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    This is a fucking amazing idea - however out there it may be. Sega approached Taxman/Stealth with the same thing so there's monolithic precedent. They were also rumoured to have considered buying the Streets of Rage Remake for official release too. Maybe if the project continues to make sufficient noise and gains increasing popularity perhaps with a new demo release Sega will take notice?

4. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    It's based on this style
    [​IMG]

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Looks great, but why does the pencil animation look much better than the final colored one?

Seriously, zoom into them if you can't see the differences right away.

6. Ryuki

Ryuki

Looks great, just curious as to why Super's ears are not animated in the final image but they are in the sketch?

7. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    I'm personally not a huge fan of the blue particle effects around Super Sonic. They're distracting from the character.

8. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Oh, ok, my apologies for being nitpicky. The shading looks brown in this one, so it actually makes me think Sonic used to have brown eyes before Dreamcast happened.

9. Windii

Windii

Robot Stonks Riser Member
    I wish they had made Super Sonic's arms more muscular and his chest more pumped out just like in the original sprite. I know those traits have kind of toned down over the years, but they sure sold me on the lil hedgehog's strength, especially when I first unlocked him in Sonic 2.

10. via FB

'Team S2HD is looking for programmers to assist with development! If you are proficient in C# and familiar with GitHub then please send your resume to [email protected] - best of luck!'

11. via fb:

'Join us for a behind the scenes peek at the vector clean-up and color of the Aquatic Ruin Zone boss, live! The stream will be held this Saturday, starting at 11:00 AM EDT (UTC-4). You can find the livestream on either our Facebook page or YouTube channel.
    See you there!'

12. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    New progress update:

https://sonic2hd.com/2019/09/02/september-2019-progress-report/

"Hi everyone! It’s been a while since last update, time for a new progress report!

Thanks to programmers: Victor Lopez, Stephen Osborne, and our new addition to the team, Amy Wright, Aquatic Ruin Zone & Special Stage implementations have made significant progress lately.
    We have also been able fix a multitude of bugs thanks to your valuable feedback on the demo! See below a tech demo on the Special Stage rendering so far"

Aquatic Ruin & Super Sonic concept art:

https://twitter.com/Sonic2HD/status/1168546115249029120

"On the art side, Corral Summer and Mike Harvey have been focusing on the ARZ foreground tiles and background layering, which is nearing game import of the final assets."

"Meanwhile, Vincent and Leo Cirius are hard at work on the production of a full set of epic animations for Super Sonic!
    We also have some other surprises in the works that we can’t wait to share, so please stay tuned for the next release!!

Can't wait for a new playable demo!

EDIT: Based on what Cinossu said (a few posts down), I have removed the images and instead put the twitter link to the images from the Sonic 2 HD twitter account.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  13. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    No mention of making it to SAGE 2019. But hey, what's here looks great. This new(er) team seems to be taking more artistic liberties with the art assests. Not a bad thing, just different.

14. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    I like this new art direction. The original HD work I saw always just looked like a cheap Flash game since it tried being faithful to the original graphics too much. This, on the other hand, reminds me a lot of the Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap remake. I wouldn't mind if they took even more liberties with the art, actually. This new update definitely has my attention now whereas before I just didn't really care.

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Looking good, but that square texture in the Special Stage track is incredibly distracting in motion...

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  16. RetroRespecter

RetroRespecter

Something went wrong with the images. We can't see them.

17. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Dunno if it's a false-positive, but getting a spyware/malware hit on CubeUpload so nothing from there is visible. You might want to put the images somewhere else.

As for the Special Stage footage, I love the way it's looking so far. Very trippy and Special-Stage-y. The controls/momentum seem a bit slow, but I'm assuming this is more a rendering tech demo than a movement tech demo at this point.

18. gamerz31w

gamerz31w

Banned
    Yeah the special stage in Sonic 2 HD is looking very impressive.

19. via Facebook

'Hi everyone! It's been a while, so it's time for an update just to let you know that we're still working on S2HD - from home, of course.

Since last update, we have brought on 5 new members to the team who have already produced some fantastic work that we can't wait to share!

We're also very excited to announce that we will be holding a badnik art livestream on Saturday 23 May at 10:00 AM EST (UTC-4). You can follow via our Facebook page or YouTube channel - see you there!'

20. Joseph A. Rose

Joseph A. Rose

Is there an archive of all the Sonic 2 HD sprite images done by ICEKnight, Yarharhar, etc.? The links are dead. I wanted to see the HD sprite frame of Ricky with a "Scared" face.