don't click here

It's coming...

Discussion in 'Prototype Discussion' started by drx, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Consider that there'll be a lot of people doing the same and that the tools we have now are a lot better than what you had then (normally a new tool turn out to speed up things a lot). Maybe in two or three months all prototypes got disassembled already.

2. Yeah, we should take all persons here that are able to make disasms and we say: You get this beta and those other betas. Then the other guy does 3 Sonic 2 Protos. The other one does a Sonic 3 one.

Etc, etc.

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    You sound like you're gonna pay them for it, or something...

4. Lol, No ;)

I just wanted to say with that that I want disassemblies very badly :)

5. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member

No, mostly because nobody is going to care to dissasembly ~30 builds of a NBA game, lol.

6. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    You don't get it, JoseTB, I mean that between all of us all betas would get disassembled at the same time. Think in what Oerg866 said, it would be something like that. Through probably most of us will work on the Sonic prototypes :P

7. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    Hello, I'm Sik and I have no humor sense!

I knew you were talking about sonic related stuff only :P - I just find laughable to even think about the amount of work that would involve to dissasembly everything he has right now; doesn't mean we have to go for it anyway.

8. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Okay, something about this thread has been irritating me—can you PLEASE stop it with the "If I had x and x I would donate" shit? Seriously, we'd ALL like to donate in some form, but we're not all able to. That's fine, but if you can't, please don't waste everybody's time by stating such an obvious fact.

9. Nemesis

Nemesis

Tech Member
    Yeah, I know. Half that time I was doing the disassembly was spent developing the tools and methods to make it work, and the tools are much more sophisticated now as Sik pointed out. I've actually got specialized functions built into Exodus to make this even easier. When I can find enough time to finish my rebuild of the VDP core, I might even get around to releasing it. I just found the numbers amusing. Remember, we spent years analysing one main game: the original S2 beta. Our methods have grown a lot more sohpisticated since then, and we could certanly do things a lot quicker now, but really, we're talking a LOT of work here even just to play through each beta once and compare them to each other. Think of all the possibilities for discoveries from these new roms into the future.

Personally, I'm really phyched about this. There are probably only a few of us who can remember the early days of this community now, back around 2000, 2001. Everything was so new, and so little was known for sure. Everyone was jumping in and finding new things most people had ever seen, just playing the games or through some basic examination. This will be kind of a renaissance period for the community. I mean, seriously, how many of us are even going to load up all 13 Chaotix betas in the near future? How long will it be then before discoveries "run dry"? There'll be a decade worth of material injected into the community by this one release alone, and then there's all the non-sonic betas in this batch too, which more than a few of the people in this community will be interested in as well.

My advice to everyone: Don't wait for the tech-heads to comb through the roms. Jump in and start playing them, and post what you find. There'll be new stuff just staring us in the face in these betas.

10. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    I think that once the prototypes are posted, organized threads need to be created for EACH AND EVERY GAME, in which everyone can pos tthins releveant to only the game they are playing.

11. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Yes, that's the whole reason for a subforum.

12. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    Good to hear. I was developing an IDA module to load and automatically disassemble Megadrive ROMs (like the x86 module). It had some nifty almost-emulation functions. Unfortunately I wasn't able to finish it before I finalized this deal. Believe me, I thought this deal wouldn't be finalized for another 6 or more months =)

13. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    So, this is all through a single contact, then?

14. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

He's waiting.... Tech Member
    S4: Cybernetic Outbreak
    I can't wait to see the S2 and S3 Proto's there's bound to be different things, Possibly Hydrocity's leaf background in is in it among other things, and maybe prototype bosses.

15. Dominus Draconis

Dominus Draconis

Hmm, yeah, never considered that aspect, the later builds of sonic 2 will intrigue me especially, to see how the bosses developed before the final version if there is any such information to be found in those roms

16. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    I don't think that they should be got rid of, the intros are historical in their own way (since they were released at a time when that was acceptable and normal in the scene). These new releases should just be marked [!] in GoodGen tradition.

17. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    Not all, but most, yeah.

18. @Tweaker: I wanted to say that too... It's annoying :disgust:

DRX, when will you finish teh IDA addon?

19. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    If these come from SOA's archives, how come there's games from third party developers in here? Of course I don't know how it works myself, but I assumed anything in this is Sega developed games only, not stuff like Dynamite Headdy which is Treasure. Of course, no complaints ;)

I'm posting in a legendary thread!

20. Tanks

Tanks

Well First off, I want to congratulate DRX for his soon to be great achievement of crashing the proto market. (And for dumping the ROMs too... I guess...) :P

I'm really looking forward to the Sonic 3/S&K ROMs and the Chaotix ones too. Hopefully there's enough of Chaotix to see a transition from Crackers to Chaotix. Sonic 2 should have a few little things left in the ROMs found to merit something still...