don't click here

Hill Top Zone

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Canned Karma, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Certainly. After it goes through the necessary scrutiny. I honestly can't see a reason why the triangle ended design won't prevail.

2. zemulii

zemulii

Okay, here's my version - the third in the list - a "reinterpretation". Since the pivot is so boring, this one uses an emerald/gemstone/rock/whatever (I imagine it to be sawed in half with the seesaw in between). The edges are curved just enough to hold the Ghora (is it??) in place, and throw it up vertically. The shading is relatively quick and basic seeing as it's just a concept. Especially on the seesaw part.

[​IMG]

Did this one in Inkscape to see how it would work out. I like it more than GIMP as an alternative to Adobe, but I'd still rather use Illustrator if I could. There were just a few little things I went looking for only to find they don't exist in Inkscape. But there's usually some sort of work around at least.

So now all we need is a "dirty" version!

3. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    I definitely like these the best. However, will the final version have more than three frames? I doesn't seem like adding a lot more frames would be too difficult.

4. zemulii

zemulii

Could physics make it act like a real seesaw? And have the seesaw bit on a separate layer, rotating by itself.

5. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    That's what I was thinking but just worded much better. It just doesn't make sense to only use three frames for this HD project.

6. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    When trying to figure out a good design for the christmas tree trunk, there are alot of designs out there that might look better than going for standard checkered patterns.
    When I think of christmas trees, I think about cuckoo clocks.

There are endless of cuckoo clock designs:
    [​IMG]

I would go for the conifer cone pattern myself:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Basically diamond shaped patterns, but with a twist of some kind.

7. Jebusman

Jebusman

Canada
    Is this pertaining to the tree?

Because I don't think anyone here wants to return to the tree anytime soon.

No offence, it's a good suggestion, just an ill timed one.

8. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    I think that would end up looking too much like a palm tree trunk.

[​IMG]

9. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Indeed, that's what I thought he was talking about at first. I wondered if we were back to talking about Emerald Hill!

Aren't the trees in Hill Top Zone supposed to be more like ferns?

10. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    I think we've settled on a good design with that last round culminating in the Test-Object/Hamneggs product. The current focus is the seesaw.

11. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    That looks pretty cool, but it looks out of place with the rest of the seesaw, in my opinion.

Could you try making the rest of it have the 'carved out of rock/made of crystal' look? With the level being in the mountains and all, it might look really good.

12. zemulii

zemulii

It might look better together if I finish shading the seesaw part. But you've got a good point. I mean, it is a reimagining after all, maybe I could make the seesaw part look like it was carved out of rock then (or try at least)?

Do you think it's because it's a bit smooth that it looks out of place?

13. Jebusman

Jebusman

Canada
    It's really, really smooth. The shading might help it a bit, but it just looks way too smooth.

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I'd keep the boobie.

I think it's the design that seems to best match the perfectly shaped nature of the foreground shapes, while adding a nipple the more appealing non-intrusive details.

EDIT: The rock's drawing looks cool, but seriously wtf is that doing there.

15. Ross-Irving

Ross-Irving

What in the world-- this isn't obvious? It's not obvious to see what's rough and wouldn't be used in game because it's not vectorized, or what's much different from the original design found in-game? I'm not saying that labeling my concepts like this would take more work, but...just the idea of it, fuck. Sorry man, I can't keep working like this. I'm done. Good luck to whoever can persevere on this project.

16. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    In regards to the seesaw, what is meant as a "dirty" concept? Literally just outside and a bit unclean, or old and dilapidated? Or does dirty have another meaning in that context?

17. zemulii

zemulii

It's doing a "reinterpretation".

We were asked for three different versions. We've got the clean, safe one. That was my contribution (might finish up the shading just for fun). We just need one more now (whatever dirty is).

Might be a little weird, sure. But I don't see how it's so hard to imagine something like that. A crystal rock chopped down the middle holding a seesaw. Seems like it would be pretty sturdy to me :).

Come on, I just want to show that we can come up with what is asked of us :P.

18. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    The lines on your rock are far too thick to fit in with the other art.

19. zemulii

zemulii

They're supposed to give it a crystalline appearance. They're not really supposed to be lines as such. Ignore the other three in the picture (not sure why I included them really). Anyway, it's not supposed to fit in perfectly - it's just a concept. No point going to too much effort unless you know it's worth it.

20. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting

Here's an idea. Instead of having the rock floating on a stick, extend it all the way to the ground and make every component transparent, heck even with diffraction. That. Would. Be. Awesome. ZEMULII!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.