don't click here

Hill Top Zone

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Canned Karma, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Yeah, that one didn't transition nearly as well from the colors Ross applied to a more polished concept.

And I see want to see a refined version of the trunk done in vector, but it's looking like Gambit will be the only one to attempt that. Short of finding a way to combine a constant shader for the distinct colors and a toon shader for the relevant ink lines, I don't see that idea being workable in 3D.

2. zemulii

zemulii

I think you're more than welcome to come up with ideas, suggestions or concepts for those objects ;). I don't think talk of the tree is actually getting in the way of that. It just seems to me like no one really has any solid enough ideas yet to be getting on with them.

Did you mean test-object's trunk? What do you want to be done with it? Just a clean mockup, or the trunk polished up in some way (how?)? Or were you talking about the Ross/Gambit trunk above... (second sentence seems to sound like that). If so, does that mean that one's still being considered? I'm getting confused here.

3. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

I was talking about Gambit's trunk idea. It was made by drawing it out, and that's the way I think it will look best.

Since literally everyone that has seen Test-Object's trunk with Hamneggs revision has loved it though, I'm calling that design done. If need be we'll work to refine it, but the style and direction it has currently are excellent. Job well done guys.

With that out of the way, I'd like the focus to be moved back to another HTZ object that's been given a lot of time in mockups that was never finalized. The seesaw catapult. The base pole and the pivot in particular. I want three versions for comparison: one in a very clean traditional Sonic style, one that can appear 'used'/dirty, and one that completely reinterprets the completely bland spritework for something new and interesting. Use your imaginations. As always, you can PM me if you have specific questions about an idea you have in mind that doesn't bear mentioning in the thread. Discussion isn't a bad thing, but I'd like to keep the focus in this thread on the visual work if at all possible.

4. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    [​IMG]

5. zemulii

zemulii

Okay, glad to hear that Gambit's idea is still a possible option. I'll look forward to what he can come up with then. And I'll hope it gets a very positive reaction too ;).

About the catapult - I take it with the dirty one you don't mean dirty as in textures? Just going by what you've said about textures before. More as in rough form (and shading) then?

MDM: I like the "pivot" thing in the middle. Good to see a little more detail there. It's nice and clean, but I feel it's a little chunky at the moment. Maybe it's just those bits at the sides though... that make it look blocky (I think that's a better word for it). Also, I know it's a concept, but the not quite perfect circle (polygonal 3D I assume) kind of puts me off a bit. I don't know whether it would be easy to just do over that outer edge with a clean vector circle. If it's quick and easy to do, it might at least help to convince picky people like me! I guess it's not too important at this stage though.

6. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    It's more that any mentions of it will be drowned out by talk of trees. It's happened before in this thread. It'd probably be a better idea to concentrate on one thing at a time, rather than divide everyone's attention.

7. zemulii

zemulii

But then no one talking for weeks has also happened, and the way I see it is that any talking is better than none at all! But I'm happy to go on to other things now. So lets talk about the catapult :P.

8. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Personally, I love this design! It's not too 'silly', yet it's interesting, and has/is a plain and simple design that fits in to Sonic's world with charm.

9. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

10. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

[​IMG]
    I made the ends curvier. I thickened the top portion because in the original it was too thin, that was the reason why it looked fat compared to the sprite. So that helped it look thinner. I darkened it a bit overall and then even more on the shadow. The shadow is thicker on the sprite, and that is really the only thing making mine still look chubby I didn't want the shadow any bigger really though.

Another thing to note is that when rotated it, the catapult has a different design which is more like triangle spikes. It would make sense it was more curved to cradle the ghora. But I suppose its up to what the staff thinks.

11. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

...Why are there visible facets on it? I know it's a nitpick, but if you're going to throw up a concept then don't be a few to use more polys man. ;)

Also, note to everyone who would like to work on these. Please label your concepts as clean, dirty, or inventive. MDM, so far I'm liking the hard edged one you posted previous over that, but I do like the curved bit you have on the inside of the seesaw 'lip'. Can you please increase that to a full quarter circle so that it flows neatly from the main horizontal surface to the lip's vertical one? It looks interesting in my head.

12. zemulii

zemulii

I like the shape a lot more now, and you're right - the extra shadow (and placement) helps a lot!

13. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    In addition to what CK said about the curves, they should be round enough to accommodate the ghora, here's a couple ideas I just rough edited in that you might test out.

[​IMG]

14. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

I thought Canned Karma was referring to the inside of the the catapult, the outside would form a half circle like you edited. I gave it a shot, but it didn't look right.

15. zemulii

zemulii

Details like the layered design on the underside of Gambit's modification could be used to create some consistency between objects, such as the vine platform and this catapult.

16. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

I think the color of it is consistent enough along with all the blue you are getting from the level blocks. It doesn't need the exact same bevel, in fact, that's boring.

17. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

You were right MDM. Take your time with it until you feel it looks good.

18. Jebusman

Jebusman

Canada
    Reality Check.

After marathon reading this thread in the last hour, I have to point something out.

On March 22nd, test-object posted the "first" tree Here (As far as I know).

On August 25th, the tree became final (for the time being).

5 months.

Doesn't somebody think there "may" be a problem with the current system when it took 5 solid months of bickering to decide on a tree. A fucking. Tree.

Although what do I know, I'm just a newguy/outsider who's pissing himself laughing/smashing his head against a desk reading some of the posts.

Notably ICEKnight pointing this out back in May, The Michael Jackson line actually made sense, DigitalDuck points out the obvious, You all know this is true, The very point the tree thing got ridiculous, and The very point EVERYONE crossed the line.

Seriously.

I understand the community idea allowed everyone to contribute and to be able to make this the kind of game that everyone wants.

But the way it's working is like this:

Someone posts a concept > Everyone points out the flaws in it > Someone fixes the flaws > Someone else points out either more flaws, or an "alternative" solution > People point out flaws in alternate solution > Someone fixes flaws in alternate solution > Someone points out flaws in alternate solution, presents another alternate solution that the designer of original concept does not like > Repeat from beginning > Continue for 5 months > Decide to make a concept final, not because it's perfect, but because everyone is fucking tired of the discussion.

That is literally a summary of the last 5 months in this thread.

I congratulate everyone in this thread who actually tried to work on something else to keep the productivity going. As for everyone who refused to let the tree issue die, you're the reason Sonic2HD will never, ever see the light of day.

19. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    I made the same rant last month - nothing changed.

20. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

It is raster therefor it is invalid for being final.
    Its final when staff goes ahead and makes their own tree and/or traces that tree into 2D vector.
    I'm not too handy with Illustrator outside of logo design, but I try and help where I can with my rasters.
    It isn't a shock that it can't be accepted since the rules have been made quite clear from the beginning and referenced to by staff time and time again. But I try and help with what I can with what I know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.