don't click here

General Project Thread & Feedback

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by steveswede, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    So how much longer is this going to be occupying server space, then? It's quite obviously not a community project. It's as "community" as what's going on with Megaman Legends 3. They take suggestions, sure, but as far as the core team is concerned, S2HD is their baby, not Retro's as a whole.

2. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Thank you, my friend was very curious about it. He was seriously impressed with what he saw. Is there a site or portfolio available with Scan's other works?

Also, everything about the new graphics look very good, except for Robotnik. He looks like a card board cut out to me.

3. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    What your point? I thought it was clear months ago that any accepted submissions by the community would be worked on and finalized behind closed doors.

4. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Nah, I never knew about that. But I'm glad they did, the only thing I'm not too keen on is the small flowers. They just look odd.

5. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    And it looks like I'm not the only one who shares this feeling.

6. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    He also did most if not all of the animation for it as well. CN was helping him but I'm not sure what exactly it was he was helping with.

7. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    What I mean is, what's "worked on" (ie. is being used - made by the community - but just edited a little and 'finalised') and what's replaced completely with something entirely different? Last I heard "All the Badniks were scrapped and redesigned", and of course the engine itself. So I suppose I'm asking what's been kept and finalised which was done by the community? All of it, some of it, or none of it?

8. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    I would honestly say the way things have went today is that Sonic 2 HD doesn't even deserve to be listed in the Community Projects forum. In fact, it doesn't even deserve a forum at all. This is supposed to be a community project, and you can make up all the bullshit you want but due to certain issues, it's not. It's just six developers working on a remake.

Also, what about the Sonic Retro staff who provided webspace and posting rights to the front page just for today to be a shambles? I have talked about this before, but due to the amount of sheer shit this project has faced, it's obvious that Sonic Retro staff need to be overseeing this project to ensure that work is done fairly and correctly in good time.

People have spent years contributing hard to this project, so it's okay for all that work to be replaced with in-house material? If this isn't going to become like a community project should be like, S2HD should just be a thread in Engineering & Reverse Engineering.

9. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    The only thing I've seen that is the same as the TD is the grass. When I drew it (I drew it's.. concepts. Whatever, It looked exactly the same) I was staff, so I guess that doesn't count. So... nothing?

Actually, I think the palm tree is based of Master Emerald's original, just heavily edited.

10. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    Yeah, Sonica's grass was the initial concept, Sciz refined it, and then I took what he had and refined it further.

11. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    The only reason it won't be is because it seems that the core team relies on other people's attempts at re-imagining some graphics to have a basis to work from. It'd be more accurate to say S2HD meets the bare minimum of what could be considered a "community project". The absolute bare minimum. It's up to Retro staff to determine whether or not that bare minimum warrants use of Retro's webspace and services. There are still free forum services out there, right?

12. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Do you know anything about the palm tree? It looks overall like ME's, just Uber-ized.

13. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    We based the new tree on the older versions as well as the end cutscene trees.

Oh, and here's something I made awhile ago. Parts of it have been updated since, but.

[​IMG]

14. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Stupidity around the buildup aside, I think it looks nice. The trailer's certainly better than Sega's attempts with Sonic 4.

Though Emerald Hill Zone does look needlessly bright. I don't know why the sky/sea has got lighter, or why the rings were changed. And I can't help but feel the new title screen is a step backwards. It's all nice art, but it's not what I personally would consider the logical upgrade to Sonic 2's set. Perhaps these things should have been... discussed? With the community, maybe?

15. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    Those new graphics for EHZ are perfect. Good job. Look forward to the alpha. :D

16. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    So you're pretty much accepting submissions and touching up on them how you see fit? (You being the S2HD Main Staff) So, it's technically still a community project, but then again not. ...Or perhaps I'm over thinking.

In regards to the title-screen, I've already said it, but it's fantastic. Though, admittedly, I prefer the other one.

17. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Ooh, the new EHZ looks a lot more cheery! Brilliant stuff!

Question, do the trees blow in the wind? It looks as if they do.

I guess it's possible to have that opinion, but personally, I'm happy to see some custom stuff, even as big as the title screen.
    I also think that the bright Emerald Hill is sooo much more relaxing.

Edit:
    Just noticed the new grass shading, nice touch! :thumbsup:

18. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    I like the palm tree leaves in the new version, they really remind me of Monkey Island :)

19. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Umm, what are you guys going on about? I know of the drama crap that's going down in here but I couldn't care less. I also understand there was 10 or so seconds of footage shown for EHZ act 1, and that's why I was asking if we would at some time get a video of the full stage (if we don't get the alpha before too long).

Even though I've always had a preference for deeper blues in skies and oceans, this makes the stage stand out more as a colorful and happy stage, as well as helping Sonic not blend colors with the background. I love it. :thumbsup:

20. Granville

Granville

US
    I'll keep the war out of this, but I will say that I am a little underwhelmed. I expected something like this to happen though. But that's all I'll say.

For constructive criticism, I can relate to the opinion that the game is a little too bright. But only parts of it.

- I like the newer sky much better than the old one, the coloration fits much better with what a real sky should look like
    - I like the newer palm trees more than the old ones, much more detailed and natural looking (better shading too)
    - the ocean's darker color in the old one is the main thing I think is better in the old one than the new one. I think it would look great with the newer sky. Just the color tone though, I like what you've done with reflections and such
    - new waterfall is definitely better, though I'm a little weirded out about the vertical white lines that are present, they look out of place...
    - the new crater hills in the background are much more detailed. Though I really miss the old darker shades. The crater itself looks too light imo
    - I like the larger flowers in the background field of the old one more. Though this may be an issue with scrolling or something, I dunno. The new ones look too small imo, not enough chance to admire the detail
    - nothing wrong with the new bridge posts, I love them. Though again, I'd see about darkening the colors of the logs on the side a little. The new details though are again great and I wouldn't want them to change

Details are definitely better in the newer version. But I just think SOME of the colors (not all) could use a little darkening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.