don't click here

General Project Thread & Feedback

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    If it were really up to me, I'd like to follow the original plan to focus on the S3K graphics style direction.. but I know there will be disagreements on this.

2. Phoenix

Phoenix

Has really been far even as decided to use even go Member
    Never noticed that you're the project leader, have you?

3. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    This was the thing, people don't agree on much, and I was not very good at filtering through the noise to reach a common consensus. Add to the fact that my ideal Sonic game would have been nothing like what is being aimed at toward here, and you have so totally the wrong man for the job. And although I'm convinced I could have directed towards making a very good game, the simple fact is that I lack the authority to say "No. We're doing this, and it's final."

Somebody with more weight behind their convictions (I.e. Chimpo) is what's needed here, not some wishy washy freethinker (Probably the best term I can describe myself with).

^ This. So totally and utterly. For some of the reasons I have mentioned, plus other. The best thing for this project is someone of stronger character. Great ideas are good in theory. But in practice, they don't cut it.

4. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    I can't seem to get anywhere with this leading thing because there are too many different opinions.. and most of all, disagreements. That's what I meant when I said that... It seems like I can't have any say in anything because one person wants things to go their way and another person wants the complete opposite. I'm just seeing this all going around in circles with no end in sight. That makes me so mad that I just want to go into rage. :argh:

5. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
  6. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
  7. fifthelephant

fifthelephant

If it came to a vote I would probably vote Chimpo or Rave as leaders of the artwork. They simply have the best direction and artistical eye for the job.

My $0.02

8. How would a poll work? Who makes up the 100%?
    50.1% of who?

Nice artwork management discussion otherwise. Nice to finally know the limits.

9. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
  10. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I read it (well, at least the recent posts since most of it is old and I had an idea of its contents), but I can't figure out what you mean.
    I'm sad to see you're leaving, but I'm glad to see you're still up to contribute with your excellent art.

About myself as a leader, that's a definite no. I'm not up for that, and even if I was, people don't like me, so everyone would quit the project the day I become a leader. That's just plain wrong, sorry.

11. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    Well I like you, and you shouldn't worry what everybody else thinks. Honestly, I know I'm not leadership material. To be a leader, one must have excellent organizational skills and have the ability to properly direct the project.. among other things. I would say being likable would be an important quality but I know that's not entirely true.

12. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    This is the greatest color management thread I've ever made.

13. Galaxia

Galaxia

Manchester, England
    degloving infants
    Just my two cents but there's so many little details that haven't been decided and so many discrepancies between what one person's said and what the other guy's said that it seems to me the whole project needs to have a fresh start.

We should have two or three definitive leaders, at least. Once they've made a decision, there's no backtracking, it's set in stone, unless something unmistakably better comes along. If people don't like the decision, then they can either mope about how their SUPER-AWESOME idea was rejected, or they could work on other aspects of the project.

I would've contributed more had I not felt the project was just... going nowhere. I have to admit there's now somewhat of a direction since Chimpo came back, but before that, the project was just full of people contributing tiny little bits to a huge nothing, if that makes sense.

tl;dr - start afresh with a definitive hierarchy.

And for clarification, I do NOT mean scrap everything we have, especially art wise. What I basically mean is project leaders sitting down and saying "THIS is what we want to do". Not the community. The leaders.

14. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Man, I feel like I'm reading a dramatic novel.

Topic split, Chimpo is a project leader, Qjimbo and Mobiethian were dropped, and I've left Jayextee and Matwek so it still has three leaders. Stop bitching and start making video games, dudes.

15. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    So as head honcho now, I'm going to start gathering shit for a reboot as suggested by Galaxia. Place is a mess.

16. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    I was thinking that this forum need a major clearout, maybe archive the old topics (If Necessary) and start fresh? I say that we need fixed topics as well since there are a lot of topics that seem pretty useless. I know that I really don't have the say in how this place is run but I suggest the following Topics:

Pinned Topics:
    Overview/Game Plan - This would give members an overview about what is actually in the game, such as levels and features.
    Rules & Guidelines - People need to know not to give Zone Name ideas and it needs to be clear what art direction we should aim for.
    Weekly Round-Ups - I think this is a great idea of keeping the other members informed about what has been worked on over the week, so weekly updates would be required.
    The Team - People need to know who the Project Leaders are, of course.
    Checklist - I think this would be handy to give other users ideas on what needs worked doing, the topic would show what has been done in the other threads as well as what needs to be done.

Normal Topics:

Zone 01 - Contains art, music and ideas, etc.
    Zone 02
    Zone 03
    Zone 04a
    Zone 04b
    Zone 05
    Bonus/Special Zone - They can be in the same thread, since they're basically the same.
    General Art - Sucah as, Character, HUD, Monitors & Springs, etc.
    Programming
    Feedback & Suggestions
    Concept & Ideas

To keep things neat and tidy and cut out the problem of people editing old work and what not, the OP should be up to date, telling the other members finalized art and WIP Art, so like I said, the key is to keep the OP's up to date. Hopefully, a fresh start would bring straight forward progress to this project.

17. Matwek

Matwek

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QGXZ2ARA
    No idea if this helps but thats pretty much all of the concept art (good stuff and shockingly bad stuff)

18. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    You people get your shit straight here, and I might be so gracious as to consider dispensing some pearls of wisdom.

I.e., Chimpo's charisma stat is so huge that I actually care about the project now. GGGGGGGalbadian Soldiers

19. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Pinned Topics:
    Overview/Game Plan - This would give members an overview about what is actually in the game, such as levels and features.
    Rules & Guidelines - People need to know not to give Zone Name ideas and it needs to be clear what art direction we should aim for.
    Weekly Round-Ups - I think this is a great idea of keeping the other members informed about what has been worked on over the week, so weekly updates would be required.
    The Team - People need to know who the Project Leaders are, of course.
    Checklist - I think this would be handy to give other users ideas on what needs worked doing, the topic would show what has been done in the other threads as well as what needs to be done.
    Life, the Universe, and Everything - Contains a weekly-made ZIP of all the accepted art and concepts- graphics in one, text in the other.

Normal Topics:

Zone 01 - Contains art, music and ideas, etc.
    Zone 02
    Zone 03
    Zone 04a
    Zone 04b
    Zone 05
    Bosses
    Bonus/Special Zone - They can be in the same thread, since they're basically the same.
    General Art - Sucah as, Character, HUD, Monitors & Springs, etc.
    Programming
    Feedback & Suggestions
    Concept & Ideas
    Zone Concepts

Added a few topics, but I think that an overhaul is definitely needed.

20. Vaiyt

Vaiyt

Oglio p'ru çeu Member
    Well, this sort of thing ends up happening when there's nobody with the authority and knowledge to filter the massive amount of contributions. There's a lot of good ideas, but not enough decisions.

I've worked on a community project before, and it tanked because of that very problem. Too many ideas coming in, and almost nothing getting cut out.

In this sense, I think Chimpo can really do something. He has a clear vision of the project's aims (something the other project I worked on lacked), so he can work on keeping everyone in focus and culling the extraneous bullshit.

I think it would also help to gather knowledgeable people, to weigh ideas from a technical point of view. Will this level element fit in with our design phylosophy? Is that art piece coherent with our art direction choices? Aren't the color schemes for level X and Z too close? Don't we need a faster level between those two platform-intensive ones? Those kinds of questions arise all the time.