General Project Thread & Feedback

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Matwek

Matwek

Like wise, final year at Uni, that and I didn't even notice I had been added as one of the forum leaders till the other day.
    Might be worth appointing a few people not really as leaders but head contributers to certain tasks Art, Programing and Music etc.

Im still up for the idea of getting all current content, mock ups, sketches and tutorials into one place for reference though, anyone interested in getting something like that going let me know I think I have a copy of almost everything. I think it would really help new and old people alike to be able to look over old work without masses of text getting in the way.

2. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    So true...

3. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

France
    Twitch channel
    Yes, Yes, yes and YES, please.

4. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

France
    Twitch channel
    Yes, and that's why I decided to quit by my own.

5. Matwek

Matwek

Im not sure if anyone really wanted to do it, they just made the effort when no one else would. Just rather difficult to find anyone who knows what they're talking about within all aspects of the project... still its pretty much irrelivent now, not like anyone took much notice about who was incharge in the first place, hopefully things will change now.

6. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I would have been more than glad to offer myself as a project leader. But as you can see in the first thread ever made about "Sonic 4", I didn't even make the effort to nominate myself since I know that people don't like me. I am an asshole, yes, but I know how to organise things and how to get them done.
    This project instead lacked a strong lead for too much time, and as a result, a lot of important decisions haven't been made yet; the progress has been slow and confused due to the lack of a direction to follow. If it wasn't for Chimpo (and Stealth) we wouldn't even know how many colors to use by now, six months after this project moved its first steps. And that's nothing, we still don't have a target format for the music (midi, modules, mp3s, etc) nor a definite style we should try to follow (last time I checked, everyone was screaming "retro! retro!" but there was no real consensous on that).
    Anyway, wishing bad luck to a project would bring nothing but hatred, so after all I'm up to help and contribute. Of course nobody cares, but this had to be said.

Ditch all the current leaders and give all powers to Chimpo and Stealth (given that they're up to that). They know what they're talking about, and they have no fear to say that. A good project leader must be strong, because if you're not rude when it's needed, the project will go nowhere.

7. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    To be honest, I tried to get some definite decisions made, so there could be a focus on palettes and other things. I'm just not very authorative, and seldom work well with others as I have found out. I've as good as said I'll step down and let Chimpo take my place, he's better suited. Ball is in his court.

8. nineko

nineko

italy
    That's the problem.
    Taken as an individual, you ARE awesome, I never questioned that. Also Phoebius and Mobiethian are awesome, I didn't mean to offend anyone.
    The problem is that whoever was in charge of this project just collected a bunch of good artists and threw them together saying "now you are the leaders". But being a good artist doesn't automatically imply that you are a good leader. Take Hitler and Stalin, they both were very bad people, but they were good leaders, they had millions of people to follow them. Some people can lead, some others can't.

Rika was doing a good job on this, too bad he had to quit. I still wish he will finish S2AE, but that's a whole different topic.

9. Matwek

Matwek

Totally agree with that, we have plenty of artists and although we don't currently have much of a direction we do have quite a fair amount of actuall content (that may have to be altered to fit in with the new restrictions we have). I did suggest it ealier but as well as giving lead to Chimpo we should at least establish a few 'advisors' for specific topics within the project as there are always people who are better and contribute more than others, although this isn't a necessity.

other then that im more then happy to step down.

10. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    Chimpo is a great (awesome) sprite artist, a cool guy, and he was the first one to give all the artist specific instructions for sprites.

Yes, I think Chimpo deserves the project lead.

11. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Please. :(

Chimpo will kick things into shape, like he already is doing now. :)

12. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Since Zone suggestions are open...

Quick mockup with recycled graphics to illustrate a concept.

[​IMG]

This would be a zone set in a high-tech canal. It's a slower Zone; lots of water and puzzles based on switches that raise and lower the water level, which will move floating platforms that can be used to cross gaps, or are currently in the way. For example: The floating platform in this screen might be blocking a path, so you'd have to take a route to the nearest water level switch and raise it so you could reach the path. Water level switches would be wheels, and would do more than raise/lower it a fixed amount- the more the wheel is turned, the more the water level changes.

EDIT: Crap, wrong thread. Somebody please move this post.

13. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    haha

You said balls.

Now what does this have to do with colors?

14. Vaiyt

Vaiyt

Oglio p'ru çeu Member
    Chimpo is already being our de facto Keeping The Fucking Focus Director and General Cut The Unnecessary Bullshit Manager. I think that having him as a lead is a natural consequence.

I'd like to have someone else/other people to balance him out, though.

Just in case.

Ya know.

Why are you looking at me like that?

15. RamiroR

RamiroR

What is this project for?, is it for PC or MD?

yeah, I should know, but I don't find that question answered anywhere

Forgive me

PD: And.. if it for MD, I would like to contribute

16. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    If we are using E02 (and I don't see many reasons to not do it), then probably this project will be for PC.

Jayxtee suggested the Mega CD as a possible platform some time ago, however even if I was thrilled with that, I believe it would have been hard to accomplish such task.
    Besides, the new color limit of 128 would be impossible to achieve for the MD.

17. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    Seriously, the fact this thread derailed so fast says about all it needs to say.

I've been debating this for a while, but I'm willing to come on to this project simply in a producer role so you guys can get your shit together enough to actually do things. The fact that six months have passed and there is nothing to show for what's been done so far is laughable.

18. nineko

nineko

italy
    This is the best thing that could happen to this project. I can't agree more.

19. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    With all due respect, I'm seeing a repeat of what happened on the Sonic 4 forum. I'm all for Chimpo and Stealth to become leaders/coordinators. I'm certainly not going anywhere because I know we all will pick up the pace and get our shit together.. and see some results!

I've been waiting to see what the final decision is for the art direction so I can do some hardcore level art! One thing that has my balls in a twist is the fact that when I ask for suggestions and it goes ignored. (Tropical Zone subforum and my suggestion for added levels to be worked on). I firmly believe that this is not just a matter of unorganised plans, but lack of work and decisions being made.

20. Matwek

Matwek

well considering everything has to be designed from scratch I assumed it would take a long time to get going but would pick up once the main ideas have been settled on.
    Im totally up for the idea of an indepenant producer though, makes sence to have an outside opinion from someone who obviously won't be bias towards their own work

People are stepping down as they're willing to admit there are better people for the job.
    Not wanting this to turn into a bitching session and you're free to do what you want but I suggest you have a think about what you're actually doing as one of the leaders, from what I got from your post you're blaming lack of work done on things that you (as a leader) should have been trying to fix. You should have been making final desisions on art direction and providing suggestions not asking for them.
    Like I said I don't particulary want to have a moan here as im more then welcome for you to remain in your position, just so long as you put the effort in and come up with something of worth.