don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Yes, to answer that question. The same sprite from the normal gameplay character sprite is also used as the special stage sprite. Were you gonna suggest that I should make an additional three frames so that the character uses a total of 8 spinning frames? Someone else did this in a hack I previously tested.

2. Truner

Truner

Yup, I think it would make the special stage look perfect. I'm not sure how many frames Pana Der Hejhog uses, but it looks outstanding.

3. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Pana Der Hejhog by MarkeyJester is the hack with a very smooth looking jump/roll animation. If you did the same with this hack, along with the smooth rotation special stage and beautiful new graphics, it would just be the cherry on top.

Good work so far!

Edit: derp, I'm too slow.

4. I plan to make use of the W, and Zone 1, 2, 3 blocks later, and I have made the art for each of the blocks.

[​IMG]

10-Ring block (W block) - gives the player 10 rings
    Timer block (Zone 1) - adds 30 seconds
    Checkpoint block (Zone 2) - Acts like a solid jump block, disappears when a certain number of rings are collected
    Mine (Zone 3) - Deducts 10 rings from the player's total, player flashes upon hitting the block

If the Zone 4, 5, and 6 blocks can be possibly used, then I'll come up with some more ideas. I plan to implement a time limit and a ring requirement for each stage individually. I may need some design suggestions fort the checkpoint block. And also, I recolored the "R" in the R block light blue instead of shiny yellow not to confuse with the 10-ring block.

5. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Wow... this is nice use of those extra blocks... I wish that I would've thought of something like this... Nice work. Perhaps a W block could be used to warp to another part of the Special Stage... Now that would require a slightly larger stage... but considering the seemingly larger size of yours, based on your video... I think it could work out fine... I've always thought Warps in a Special Stage could be a shortcut and a curse at the same time, as rotation could potentially hinder the end result of using said warp.

Just a suggestion. I'll definitely try to think of more ideas to send your way.

6. Of course, I do have to wonder if the Zone 4, 5, and 6 blocks are still usable since their art data is stored. If so, then I can think of more blocks.

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I'd personally use the "X" blocks to exit the Special Stage and the "!" ones as a "ring-deduct" item (since, universally, "X" means "NO/avoid" and "!" means "warning"), regardless of what + - the terrible   Sonic 4 did, but color me impressed at the video and concepts you posted. :thumbsup:

8. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    With some changes to use DMA for the wall tiles, you free up a ton of VRAM that you can use for.. well, anything, really.

9. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    [​IMG]

Screwed around yesterday.

10. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    O_O

Lovin what I'm seeing here.

Ya know you could give it different movements to make it more original, like it follows your path but at a steady pace so you can avoid it. Making it pass through walls and floors would make it more effective as well.

11. Rainbow bacon

Rainbow bacon

I am a Cat eating waffles atop a tree next to Jesu
    Wherever the hell I want.
    Learning to do stuff.
    That looks...legitimately dangerous. Does it fire all those spike balls the same way as in the normal Sonic 1?
    Edit: Whoops, had no idea which badnik I was talking about. It would be interesting to see the blue-red ones do that though.

12. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Well through my edit travels I:

-Added varied amounts of spikeballs and space sizes
    -edited the size of the circle spikeball path (including ridiculous large) along with different rectangular dimension patterns
    -one of those in particular, a more horizontal circle I dabbled with the orbinaut slowly climbing up (hazard you have to escape from in a tight vertical corridor?)
    -launching the spikeballs from different locations, even all at once
    -changing the spikeballs between space to be lower than usual than the spikeballs amount, causing a design with clustered spikes on one side but nothing on the other

I should look at the conveyor platform code, I think hybriding them with 2 orbinauts passing spikeballs back and forth would be a cool obstacle.

13. For the wall blocks, I want to use only two colors per stage, as shown in the pic in my previous post. And, I am scrapping the original BG, thereby freeing up VRAM space for the extra blocks. I may be asking a lot of questions though.

14. I might change the "!" to Eggman's face, and I'm still thinking about what to make for the checkpoint blocks.

15. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    If I remember correctly, only one colour is ever in VRAM anyway, as it changes palette line. What happens with DMA is that only one frame is ever loaded in VRAM, and every frame of animation overwrites the previous.

16. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57ihWSsXa_Q[/youtube]

17. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Aaahahaha, it's pretty damn amazing, you've made it look as though there's no sprite limit on the Mega Drive =P

Hey, maybe you could make a boss of some kind out of it, I know some people will probably bring up Sonic Boom's boss, but I mean, with a little thought, you could make your own boss with a unique style. Something original.

18. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    For a funny video? It is perfect. For actual gameplay? It is a buggy mess. Not only does it cause some slowdown even with all the surrounding sprites removed, it will freeze the game when it goes offscreen into the beginning of the level. Not to mention it freezing up all the time when (I think) it tries to load other one elsewhere. If there is a boss that comes out of this, expect it to be alot smaller and less sprites.

19. Ok, I want to use two colors per stage. So let's assume this: (Second column is palette line)

$00, $00 = Blue
    $00, $20 = Yellow
    $00, $40 = Purple
    $00, $60 = Green
    $08, $00 = Red
    $04, $00 = Gray
    $04, $20 = Cyan

(First four are default combinations, first column represents the stage emerald color as well as the primary wall block color, second column represents the secondary "flash" color)

SS_1; $00, $00; $00, $60
    SS_2; $00, $20; $00, $00
    SS_3; $00, $40; $00, $20
    SS_4; $00, $60; $00, $40
    SS_5; $08, $00; $00, $20
    SS_6; $04, $00; $04, $20
    SS_7; $04, $20; $00, $20

[​IMG]

This video below will justify my claim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_A7zBZiGOE

20. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    YES that's it, this year winning hack. Everyone else forget yours save them for next year XD

Anyway that was quite special to see in action, I'm surprised that few people bother changing enemy attack patterns, doing stuff like that can make things feel fresh to play.