General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    I second this.

2. If you can point out to me whatever needs to be fixed, then I will try and see to it. The video quality is poor, to my standards, and it may have been the reason behind the choppy rotation.

3. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    This is the post that shows the video about the smooth scrolling, and this post tells you how to do it which is extremely simple.

4. Very useful and appealing tip, and now, I'm taking advantage of it, thanks to you guys.

And now, I have drawn the BGs, one for each stage, color-coded. The design is very simple and should use minimal VRAM space.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Would I have to import the custom special stage BGs through SonED2?

5. Blaxer

Blaxer

Sup? Member
    Earth
    Sonic Origins [Mini Hack]
    disregard and trash this please

6. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Aren't the special stage backgrounds plane mappings? You could use GetArt.

7. Obviously, before I begin that, I would have to remove the entire original bird/fish BG, along with the palette cycling, right? And another important question, is importing a custom special stage BG different from that of a regular zone?

8. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Regular stage BGs consist of tiles, blocks, chunks, and a layout, just like the FG. A special stage background, on the other hand, would be made of tiles and a plane mapping, which GetArt/GetArt.NET can generate, and PlaneED can edit.

9. I do happen to have the source of an old hack which has this accomplished, but I don't know how to transfer the necessary code and stuff. That particular hack was canceled, and I was working with a couple of friends on it. They did the ports.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Not mine, but

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCvIpNeneWU

WUT WUT WUT

11. Sonic 1 Special Stage Smooth Rotation Test

Big props to Cinossu for the tips
    (:psyduck:/> Still can't embed YouTube videos on here properly)

Plus, I want to do like a dual-color scheme with the wall blocks, similar to what Megamix did.

[​IMG]

The left column of blocks is the primary colors and the right column is the secondary colors. The thing is, I want them to use a different color per stage. For example, for Stage 1, all the wall blocks would be blue with the green flashes, and Stage 2's walls would be yellow with the blue flashes.

12. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    This Special Stage looks fucking gorgeous. Not just the rotation... but seeing this art in action is amazing... I'd love to see a similar art style for the whole of the game. BTW nice Perfect on that layout.

Got 1 question though, for the Special Stage character object, do you use separate objects for each character in the Special Stage? Or do you simply use the same object no matter who the character is?
    What I'm trying to say is... in Vanilla Sonic 1, Special Stage Sonic is Object 09. If one were to add another character to Sonic 1, would he/she create a new Special Stage object for that character? Or just apply separate art and mappings to Object 09 instead? I'm looking to add characters to Sonic 1, and will opt for the latter route... just thought I'd throw that question out there first, and since your vid has Knux in the SS I figured it'd be good to ask you.

13. To answer your question, KingofHarts, I only replaced Sonic's spinning sprites with Knuckles' spinning sprites. It's just a simple art overwrite.

14. Truner

Truner

Make a similar spriteset like the one in Pana Der Hejhog and it will look like the best thing ever. THE BEST THING EVER.

15. Are you talking about the wall blocks or the video? If it's about the wall blocks, you'll need to show me what you're talking about.

16. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I think Truner is alluding to the character's sprite set in normal gameplay... having a fully rotating spriteset with fluid animations a la Pana Der Hejhog. That would match this Special Stage very well.

17. Unfortunately, I'm not that much into the normal gameplay. Special stages are my specialty.

18. TimpZ

TimpZ

Sweden
    Speedrunning, learning ASM??
    This is something I've been working on for a while. I always give everything I do the correct solidity, angles etc so that I can test out if it works so creating levels from scratch is a very tedius process.

Also I've been working a lot on the code, partly just to learn how to edit it at all, but none of that will show in these photos other than the water being in the level with a custom palette and all while it's Emerald Hill I've edited.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've been restrictive with making parts of it esthetic since I don't want to blow up the amount of tiles, blocks etc. I make and realise halfway through that I don't have anymore space.

Everything made is custom by me. I did take some inspiration from Sonic Advance for the bridge and pokemon for the tiles though :p.

You'll also notice that there's a couple problems I'm having like the water surface sprites not loading into the correct part of the memory or animated flowers showing up that I haven't deleted yet. I'd be happy if you would be kind to disregard them (or even help me fix it) for any critisism you might have.

Anyway I'd like some critisism on the overall design/look. Especially the water palette since I for now just used SonED2's alpha method for it and it looks a bit too shady in my own opinion.. I'm imagining the level becoming sort of a beach archipelago to give you an idea

19. Truner

Truner

Yeah, should've said character sprite instead. The animation used in the special stages is the jump/roll animation from the normal gameplay, no?

20. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Seaside Hill Zone? That sounds familiar. ;)

Looks like you're doing a far better job of the idea than I did, anyway =P