don't click here

Sonic Colo(u)rs Ultimate released for Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MH MD, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    I liked the first part more, but this was good at portraying a race between Sonic and Metal, and more importantly at portraying the activation and use of wisp powers, as in, you know here it looks like Sonic is really getting help and integrating their powers to his movement instead of the gimmicky thing they are in-game. And I really liked what was probably the worst joke (chain) here, the "Piece of cake!" moment.

2. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    Saw this on twitter from @Tracker_TD
    [​IMG]

apparently the street date for the Switch version broke and someone was able to get an early copy

I'm guessing that notification thing is just for the switch version.

3. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Always love jokey names for achievements.

4. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Some guy was apparently streaming it on Twitch unaware that the game wasn't officially out yet and got hit with a ban.

Anyway, I'm hearing that Sonic's death sounds appear to have been re-recorded, which is interesting.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  5. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Those jagged edges around Tails' eyes make it seem like the in-engine pre-rendered cutscenes are just upscaled. Bummer.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya from footage we've seen it looks like they just ran the cutscenes through an AI and called it a day. I guess they didn't have the source files for the cutscenes.

I really don't get why Sega just refuses to do in engine cutscenes in Sonic games when they usually just come out worse looking as a result. It made sense in the DC/GC eras as those were CG cutscenes but then after Unleashed it was pre rendered after pre rendered cutscene, resulting in cutscenes looking like ass in Sonic Generations on PC. Going from 4k to crust isn't a great look.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  7. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Some of them definitely ARE in-engine, others aren't.

8. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    The reason to use pre-recorded is when effects are involved that will be impossible to achieve in real time: Generations did okay with that, but for Lost World everything was pre-recorded with no discernable reason. No fancy edits or anything.
    The only reason Forces got out of this in any capacity is clearly because of the Avatar scenes. Hopefully they've taken notice and there's gonna be some future-proofing in upcoming games.

9. synchronizer

synchronizer

So just to confirm—there’s no Wii original soundtrack option as far as we know, is there? If there isn’t, how likely is it that we’ll see the tracks modded back in for the PC release?

10. Turbohog

Turbohog

If there's really no original soundtrack options, it is 100% guaranteed someone will mod it back in. Should be pretty simple to do.

11. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I think there is one, actually. I don't remember if we heard interviews that said it or not, but we've gotten two or three videos where the levels have the original OST playing.

12. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Weren’t the original songs used as placeholder in those videos? Likely so we don’t hear the remixed version until release?

Or am I missing something here?

EDIT: IGN posted their review and they confirmed that the first three levels use the remixed version of the respective track, while the last three use the original track.. no way to switch between the two from what I read

13. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    The game is unique in that it has six acts per zone, with three pieces of music stretched between them. Three more remixes should round it out, right? They surely wouldn't keep it at three pieces of music per zone..?

14. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Our “good friends” at IGN have posted their review of Colors Ultimate:

15. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Yeah, reviews for Colours Ultimate are coming in:

Currently sitting at 77 for PS4 based on 18 reviews:

Only one review for the Switch version so far. None yet for PC & XB1.

Edit: So according to that IGN review the first 3 acts of each world play the remixed music and the last 3 acts plays the music from the original 2010 soundtrack.

16. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    Shame that there's no option to switch to the original OST! Hopefully they patch it in.

17. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Nice to see that reviews are starting off well.

18. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Things could change as more reviews come in; but I have to admit, these early reviews / metascores are better than I expected. Not much better, mind (I was mainly expecting low-70s aggregate scores), but still a bit surprising to me.

19. corneliab

corneliab

The music situation with both old/new stuff collectively spread across all the acts feels like a compromise that ends up pleasing nobody. Why they'd go this route instead of including a toggle like everybody reasonably expected is beyond me.

I actually genuinely dislike a lot of these new remixes. I don't want to hear them in situations where the tracks were originally great as they were.

20. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    77 for a remaster that doesn't change much about a game that got a 78 in its original release... Not too shabby. A lot of the 3D Sonics often get the "aged poorly" criticism lobbed at them upon re-release (looking at the Adventure games in particular), but Colors is the same game it's always been, for better or worse.