don't click here

Sonic Colo(u)rs Ultimate released for Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MH MD, Apr 9, 2021.

1. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Most of the major issues though I hesitate to call them "major" since the internet blew the actual state of the game hilariously out of proportion were patched out. The only things that remains are minor, like a few bugged animations. But I doubt those are getting fixed, since I'd imagine they were low priority.

Beyond that it didn't get much in the way of major post-release support. And I don't think it really needed it, since it was little more than an upscaled port of an 11-year-old Wii game to modern platforms with a few tweaks.

2. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    There's also weird stuff where they made the sound mono in the final update (I think this was just BGM? I forget), so that may be in effect here in this release.

3. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    I checked the email Sega sent me about Sonic Colours Ultimate and I find it funny they bothered lowering the price of Sonic Forces.

If it weren't digital, there would be a lot of burning Sonic Forces games somewhere in the New Mexico desert

4. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    As I recall, Forces actually sold pretty well.

5. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Not only that, it was the second most downloaded PS Plus game ever by summer of 2020, behind only one CoD game and had of other popular CoD titles and Destiny 2. Forces may have been a bit of a critical dud and struck a bum note with many fan communities, but it's pretty damn popular.

6. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Speaking of which, I grabbed both Colors Ultimate and Forces PC (only had the switch version and a crappy pirate PC copy before) from the sale. Colors Ultimate is, perhaps unsurprisingly, the exact same as it's been, Starlight Carnival animation bug and all. But hey! That means every single mod I've tried from Gamebanana (none of them updated as far as I know) works on Steam, so that's at least one thing we don't have to worry about.

Halfway through the game, I'm having a pretty good time. I'm certainly aware it has flaws, obvious ones. The SC bug, the slow map screens, the sound design being a little screwed-up and the awkward cutscene upscales. But honestly? The game runs fine and plays fine for me, and I genuinely like the way it looks with the mods that tone down the bloom better than the original game. I know people got a little weird (and judging from the twitter arguments I've seen tonight, still are) about modding and the "mods will fix it" defense, but for my specific experience, this (plus a couple mods) is already in an okay place. The biggest issue I'm running into is muscle memory from other Sonic games. I do wish everyone's experience were as consistent as mine, of course. I really wish more game companies would just look at shit their fans have already made and just push it as a patch to their own product.