don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    I wonder how many people are going to bother modding this when Generations has more going for it in the gameplay department. Forces actually takes away features from Generations' gameplay.

2. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    I think they start attacking after the first 2d section of the first level. They just can't attack in the first 3d section for some reason.

Well, there's a double jump and a lot more level slots, so I guess we'll see a Colors project sooner or later.

3. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    Generations doesn't have playable shadow as a separate character.

4. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    I think the alterations to the engine alone will pique interest.

5. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I'd like to see the Death Egg assets ported to Generations to make a Classic Death Egg. :v:

6. synchronizer

synchronizer

My guess is that things will be hard-coded, just like in Lost World.

7. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    God I hope not, it was a shame to see no modding effort made in Lost World because of that.

8. synchronizer

synchronizer

I mean, it looks like Forces was almost cobbled together based on Lost World. Otherwise I don't see why the gameplay and movement would be so watered-down after Generations.

9. RGX

RGX

Animator Member
    US
    I apologize for using the wrong choice for that word.

When I said "theory," I meant the whole concept of "two worlds being a thing" in the Sonic game universe. Ilzuka's comments in interviews never made sense from what was established, regardless of what the Sonic Bible says.

10. Stimil Rc.

Stimil Rc.

Has the track that plays in the 2D section of Network Terminal (Modern Sonic's Chemical Plant) been ripped yet? It's one of my favorite themes in the entire game. It reminds me a lot of Flame Core's Cavern theme from '06.

I saved a video of the stage because I knew it was only a matter of time before SoA took it down, which they did just today.

11. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    More graphic comparisons.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FJ_ci6AiS8[/media]

At this point I think a 'Dimps' version would look better than this on Switch. Like Sonic Lost World looked really good on 3DS.

12. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    But these programs were designed for that kind of stuff, because those are what the industry uses- I'd be very surprised to see any companies still using proprietary modelling tools for worldbuilding, excepting some terrain editors for open world games and in-engine tools that are available as add-ons for the major engines that are meant for amateur use. I also know Maya and Max have first person camera modes- although as long as we're talking workflow, a true grey box mensch should be doing as much of his work in the orthographic viewports as possible (and the entire layout on paper prior to even touching a modeller). :colbert:

13. RikohZX

RikohZX

Green Hill looks serviceable, even if the graphics do have a noticeable disparity.

Space Port on the other hand got such a massive visual downgrade that it looks like something from Sonic Heroes with better lighting.

14. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Eh, I wouldn't go that far. That game had a lfair amount of obvious pop-in with its graphics in some levels (the grinding / rocket levels in particular) and recycled sprites for stuff like the rings that stuck out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the game. There are probably worse-looking games on the 3DS, but Lost World 3DS' visuals are far from great IMO.

15. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    I second that. The Sonic Boom games looked pretty good as far as I can remember
    [media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkdKdX10rjg[/media]

16. Amnimator

Amnimator

True, but the first person mode that comes with Maya isn't meant to create the environment, only view. I'd disagree that for something like boost Sonic, you'd spend too much time sketching out plans for the level. As I said, scale in those kind of levels is not something you can just spit-ball or pull out a ruler and have things work as expected. As someone who tried that before with boost Sonic, it gives you a better idea of how you'd make the level, you don't spend as much time in front of the screen thinking about level design, but in no way does it get making the thing to play right easier.

Also, last I checked, Epic Game's workflow even now with UE4 is to prototype their map with BSP, then import to the 3D program of choice. I can see many reasons why something like that is ideal. Not saying that you can't have a decent workflow by making 3rd party modifications to your 3D program of choice, I just think having it in the level editor makes much more sense and saves much more time.

Tried a 3rd party first person camera add on for Maya before that advertised itself as, "this is what Riot games uses! This is what Naughty Dog uses!", but wasn't all that great. I could feel it wrestling with the way Maya wanted to focus its camera. I disagree these packages were meant to focus on mile wide levels; even the guy who made the mentioned add on created it specifically because of that, used by AAA studios, and still doesn't match the speed or fail fast approach something like UE4 or Source's workflow goes.

17. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Fire and Ice really looked better than Shattered Crystal. It's levels had a lot more detail and stylization. Plus, the character models weren't the best in Shattered Crystal, and while I think Fire and Ice uses the same ones, the fact that every cutscene got fully animated (with even more of the higher quality stuff) really made it shine.

18. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Oh come on:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42-lVAPc-xw[/media]

Silent Forest is the worst looking zone in the game. Windy Hill and Desert Ruins look fantastic and also play ok. It's a shame the level design was terrible.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Minimum Specs for the game are up on Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/637100/Sonic_Forces/

For those who don't want to click:

Processor: Intel i5 5th gen @ 2.7Ghz or AMD A10 7th gen @ 3.0Ghz
    Memory: 4 GB RAM
    Graphics: Nvidia GTX 750 Ti or AMD R7 265
    DirectX: Version 11
    Storage: 18 GB available space
    Sound Card: Sound: 11 compatible

Remember, the game does include Denuvo, so if that displeases you then buyer beware.

20. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Those are some reasonably low requirements that indicates good news in that a wide range of people will be able to play the game - but I'm finding it hard at getting excited because Forces looks like a dumpster fire. I've been forever the optimist but unless reviews come out and they're surprisingly high in terms of scores I'm not particularly hyped for November 7. I have a GTX 1050 so I blow the requirements out of the water meaning I have the capability to play Forces but the leaks made me lose optimism and hope that the game's going to be any good.

Hype levels pretty much at minimum at the moment. Everyone else?