don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Not going to disagree, but this isn't exactly raising the bar particularly high.

2. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    Dude, I still tend to fly off a Sonic Colors cutscene quote every now and then. I remember laughing my ass off at some of the cutscenes when I first saw them. But eh, you didn't like them, that's your perogative.

3. serpx

serpx

Since the game is going to release first week of November, I expect the game to leak sometime this month. Happens, I believe, every time to big name games.

4. Kogen

Kogen

Derp Banned
    Bouvet Island
    Last Party on the Moon
    Not sure who that is, but I will blame him anyway. Thanks for the tip!

I am also really impressed by Sky Sanctuary Zone, but also 'depressed' that this sort of gameplay is such a tiny bit of the game (1/4t the whole game in my view). I also think it needs more rolling aspects in the level design.

I think so! They gave Sonic 4 good reviews and I thought that was directly on par with Sonic 06. 1 character or 9 - it never mattered.

Fair enough, but you have to admit they are entirely alien to the series. I have always been a big fan of both Tails and Robotnik, yet here I could not even hold attention during a single cut scene. They totally ruined two of my favourite fictional characters. Nearly every appealing aspect was lost. The only praise I can give are Robotnik's announcements in the first level, but you cannot hear it in-game very well. I have no idea what they did to Tails, he had absolutely nothing in common with his character in anything else. He is supposed to be a cute sidekick, not an autistic translator who is too stupid to read and keeps saying 'dude'.

Ehh, I was not saying Sonic Heroes/DIMPS Sonic was good. I do not like that either. It is just that the Sonic in Sonic Colours is not the same Sonic from the 90s, personality-wise. The same goes for Robotnik and Tails.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I already have my plan for when this game comes out. Getting the game ASAP, getting my booze of choice, ordering myself a burger, and just having potentially the best night of gaming ever.

6. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    I'm interested to see just how quickly the entire soundtrack of this game (Both 3DS and PlayStation 3/Xbox 360 versions.) will be uploaded to the Internet after the game has been released.

7. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie

I'm not joking when I tell you I had a dream about this almost a decade ago. This looks identical! Of course I don't expect anyone to believe me that I saw the future, I didn't even know I did until I saw the SSZ video a few minutes ago. It's so beautiful it makes me want to cry...

Totally didn't expect that sign post though. I guess the zone can't all fall apart until Modern Sonic gets his turn :/

Is there anyone willing to sell me an Xbox 360 for $20 so I can afford to buy this game?

8. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    He's really never been the same as from the 90's to me, and I have no expectation to see that attitude return.

As for Eggman and Tails, I believe Eggman is absolutely perfect the way he is, though he could have stood to be a little more menacing towards the end of Colors. Tails, however, I can see where you can feel that way; I feel, however, that would have been much more passable if he was playable in the game so a bit of the characterization could be seen through gameplay rather than just in cutscenes. I'm thinking that's why Sonic is generally more tolerable in Colors than Tails.

Though to be fair, I really enjoy Roger Craig Smith's performance. With the right writing, I think he could outstandingly pull off Sonic both as goofy as he was in Colors, and a more "cool" way as well. I saw a very promising display of this coolness in Colors when Sonic said the lines "Hope you're hungry." Not so much the line, but the way Smith pulled it off legitimately gave me chills. If he was saying something intense or flippant with that type of voice, it would cement him 100% as the best voice actor that Sonic has ever had.

Anyway, back to Generations. I don't really know what the guy in Gamesradar meant by lackluster level design for Sky Sanctuary, it looks absolutely brilliant, no question. Unless he was talking perhaps about modern Sonic SS gameplay, which I could see being the case, as I expect multiple bottomless pits. But as far as Classic gameplay goes, there is not a doubt in my mind anymore that this is truly going to be a brilliant game. Do want.

Furthermore, Sonic R music?! I can feel the sunshine brightening up my day already :v:

9. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    He was reading something in binary code/hexidecimal. The translator was buggy to begin with. The verbal fuckups were suppose to be silly. GET IT. IT SAID THEIR POWER SOURCE WAS BODY ODER. AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHA.

The problem with Colors' story was that it was, admitidly, aimed to kids. SEGA confirmed that. It's been known since before Colors' release I'm sure. That was a horrible choice to begin with because stories aimed to kids most of the time end up being overly happy and excessively use bad jokes because it's a quick laugh for kids. It rolls in money becauee they laugh at anything related to farts. Admit it; when you were a kid you laughed at that stuff too.

THIS is a game aimed towards the veterans of Sonic as well as the newer audience. Unfortunately the second half of this confirms corney jokes will appear undoubtably, but the former says that there's infinite possibilities to reference the past games and for the game/story to make fun of itself, such as Tails not recognizing Green Hill Zone despite its likeness to Emerald Hill Zone. While character personalities had to be shifted for the kid audience to giggle for Colors, this game doesn't NEED to replicate SATAM or AOSTH. I honestly see those cartoons as overly silly. Never watched them as a kid, yet some of you did. I'm sure most (read: MOST) of you who grew up sith SatAM and AoSTH liked the kid friendly dialouge of Colors. Well, so did this Generation's (;P) kids. Now the game has the whole game series to poke fun at. Weather or not you grew up with the TV show, if you grew up with the games (which I'm sure you have considering you're here), you'll probably like Generations' story.

Also, very off topic and PM me if you must answer: what's with everyone's inate obsession with autism around here? :v:

EDIT: The "dude" thing was Sonic btw.

10. Raia

Raia

Try to construct a Keio Saturn > PSX converter and mod a Sega Saturn Arcade stick
    I apologize if anything from this has been previously answered or mentioned before, however I have a question for anyone importing the Collector's Edition. I've decided on importing from Amazon Germany since it appears to be cheaper than the other UK/Australian sellers that ship internationally, though I'm wondering which version to pick up.

I already have a US PS3 copy pre-ordered through Amazon (it's currently at $37 due to the recent price drop) because I had placed it in May and also I want to play it on release despite the fact there is no release date delivery option from them, and I know international shipping will take a while. I realize one could go with the 360 version if that was the case, but if it turns out that the PS3 version is more optimal (I.e. the extra disc not being a coaster and being able to actually to redeem the DLC), I would go with that route.

Any recommendations on which version to pick-up?

11. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    About cutscenes: If there are barely any at all in the game and the dialogue is minimal, SEGA has done something right.

ADD: Also in regard to the complaints about less characters (there is just no pleasing Sonic fans >_>) I'm pretty sure less will be more, but as long as they are including a lot of these characters, they may as well at least be unlockables (Replay value, yes?), or better yet, usable in a 2 Player VS Mode (Which wont happen, but I'm throwing it out there that it would be a good thing in this game.)

12. sandwichbars

sandwichbars

I'm still waiting for this to pop up as a secret achievement:

[​IMG]

...Eh? Eeeeeeeh? :v:

13. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Actually, didn't we get the Colors soundtrack rip a few days before it was released? Hopefully that will be the case this year as well.

EDIT: Or I'm thinking of how I'm inamerica.jpg and forgot that the European release was a few days before the US release. :v: Even then, I'm thinking it was before it was in stores anywhere. IE, someone getting a copy early from a store and ripping it. I just need this soundtrack maaannnnn

14. I think Tails said "dude" once or twice. But not important.

I personally loved Colors because of it's story. Why? They kept it fucking simple. I didn't have high expectations for Colors, what I got was akin to an episode of AoStH. And y'know what? I'm happy with that. It was enjoyable, and like I've said before, even though the characters werent the same as they've been since the Adventure games, the writers implemented something we haven't seen in years in a Sonic game: character interaction. Instead of characters delivering lines into the air for no reason and the players having to put the pieces together, we actually had a coherent story that had Sonic and Tails acting and reacting, Dr. Eggman got mad at his bumbling robots, the Wisps talked with body language, and for once I felt I could almost relate to how the characters acted and spoke. It was well written, even if the jokes were corny.

15. Depends on if you mean audio-rip or soundtrack. Game audio is usually within a few weeks; I usually have the soundtrack up at most a week after it's released. Naturally since there will be no soundtrack for the DS version (If there is, I'll be shocked), audio-rip is as good as you'll get.

16. Shakidna

Shakidna

Rehash Rampage Member
    This game looks simple, uninspired, and easy as fuck, and short too. It deserves to be a downloadable title.

17. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

Colours storyline was... basic, I suppose. It was basicly Sonic 1 recycled in space. However, I liked Sonic's portrayal, Craig did a good job. Eggman was the same as ever. Tails though, was very bland.

18. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    I can't speak for easy, but it looks far from short. There's a total of 9 levels with 2 acts each, making 18 levels. For every 3 levels there are 2 bosses each, making 6 bosses, 3 of which are fought along extended terrain via a race, which might as well be levels in them selves. For every level and boss in the game there are 5 missions each (Maybe more, I could be wrong). Each mission changes something significant about the level including enemy placement, level design, music, characters/ghosts you have to race, etc. Each boss also has a "hard mode" alternative as well, and it can be implied that with the harder variants of bosses comes new attacks and the like. In addition to all this content there are also red rings to collect, S-ranks to achieve, concept art and music to unlock, and more.

I dunno about you, but that seems like a lot of content to me, more than most Sonic games.

19. How does it look at all short? The rest is your opinion I guess, but it certainly isn't short enough to be a downloadable title.

20. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    If you take away all the padding via the 8 multiple acts upon the 2 given acts of both Sonics, you get a game that's 3 zones longer than Sonic 3, but shorter than the entirety of 3 & Knuckles. Imagine what Zones they could have thrown in had they been smart about it and not padded the game with unnecessary acts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.