don't click here

Sonic Freerunner

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Azookara, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Well, that's the thing though. For everyone who thinks we intended this as SFR level design: this is just a test stage we chose from vanilla Blitzsonic. Give credit of that to the people who modeled it for the original Blitzsonic. We didn't do it. :v:

On that topic, the level layout style this game is planned to have is along the lines of Sonic Adventure, except with slightly more expansion, and little to no bottomless pits and/or automation. Be expecting the game, if anything, to be like a lovechild between the classic games and a flare of SA1 happened.

Also good to hear people are liking the concept behind the Instashield ability.

2. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    It does and is. Yet people still wonder why I'm not impressed with Sega's offerings. O_o

3. Blackhearted Knight

Blackhearted Knight

Wolfsbane706 Member
    CO
    Insta-Shield is brilliant, and it also opens up new Badnik options, too. In Sonic 1, the Star Night Zone Orbinauts were notoriously difficult to get a hit in on without losing your rings because they never launched the orbs. The same goes for the Launch Base Zone Orbinauts in Sonic 3. Only in Sonic 3, you had the Insta-Shield, which made attacking them without losing rings possible. Basically, if there ends up being an Orbinaut-like Badnik (Somehow adjusted for 3D) to accentuate the Insta-Shield I think it'd bring back memories for a lot of the players.

4. Tobibrocki

Tobibrocki

Not sure if this is just my build or normal for Blitz Sonic, but it doesn't seem to work under Windows 7 (crashs right away), I got it to work under VMWare Fusion by using a WinXP Virtual Machine though.

So, I was wondering, is Win7 support eventually planned for future releases?

5. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    I run 7 too and Freerunner Works great.

6. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I run on nothing but W7, and it works just fine. I don't know exactly what could be the problem though.

7. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    7 user here.

All is good on this end too.

8. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Same here, except when I specify the Config file for gamepads, the camera is permanently set under Sonic's taint. For some reason, the game still expects me to use the mouse while I'm using the gamepad ...

9. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    As long as the Unleashed model/animations are not removed, IMO they are great.

Having the same issue here.

Found a workaround, go to the config folder, open the "config (gamepad).xml" file, find the line "<bind action="camera_up"", change whatever's on "button=" with "button=none", do the same with "<bind action="camera_down"

Obviously now you won't be able to look up and down, but at least it won't focus on Sonic's private parts :v:

10. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Something odd I've noticed:

Is it just me, or does Blitz3D start flipping out with the Z-Buffer the further away from x=0, y=0 and z=0 you get?

Playing Chishadow's ridiculously massive Lost World level, by the time you get to the goal ring, Sonic's face is looking really bad:

[​IMG]
    Beginning of the stage, everything's fine

[​IMG]
    A little ways in, z-buffer problems around Sonic's irises

[​IMG]
    Somewhere around halfway through the stage, starting to appear around Sonic's eyebrows at certain angles

[​IMG]
    At the goal ring. Constantly visible around his face, a little around his shoes, and even in places where polygons intersect in the wall

I can get video if need be.

11. Damizean

Damizean

As classic as rock Member
    Valencia, EspaƱa
    Various projects
    Yes, it uses a 16-bits Zbuffer, so when you get away from the origin there's a precission loss, causing the renderer to do that.

12. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

Also, did BlitzSonic have a goal ring object? I'm surprised that Lost World level has it correctly placed, given that the level was released way before this Freerunner Pre-Alpha.

13. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    There are actually quite a few BlitzSonic engine modifications that add goal rings as well. And seeing as it's hard to call a goal ring anything else, that explains why it was placed perfectly =P

14. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    That worked! But now it gets me thinking that the right analog stick should work as a more sensitive camera toggle in 3 dimensions.

Also, what's the point of the roll button as opposed to the spindash button? I find it does nothing but force Sonic into a roll irrespective of his inertia. Was it originally a slide that was converted into a roll?

15. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    It was originally going to be a somersault slide, but now we are somewhat reconsidering it. :v:

16. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    The funny thing is that the most original option you can use for a 3D Sonic game is the move he first started with in the games.

17. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    Instashield could be a good idea but it needs a good camera to go with it, even with the increased attack radius you still have to judge depth.

Also, am I the only one who feels that Sonic is somewhat slippery? I know you are trying to emulate the classic's physics with this game but it wouldn't hurt to tune down Sonic's momentum when on ground a bit.

18. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Sonic could use more traction and slighter sharper turning angles. Gaining momentum is fine in the game, but oftentimes I find it difficult to make a 90 degree turn without falling off the edge of a cliff, and sometimes Sonic will go briefly airborne after running up a hill for a few seconds. It's rewarding to use a spindash jump on those uphills to get some mad distance and altitude, but I've found I can only do that 1 out of 5 or 6 times. Also, the camera for the gamepad should definitely be mapped to the right analog stick, shoulder buttons, or have both sharing a different axis (the left and right shoulders could be page-up and page-down) and be a tad more sensitive.

19. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

I don't think you should be able to make 90 degree turns easily, given that you're going like 60mph+

Not to trigger a "YEAH, BUT IT'S A BLUE CARTOON HEDGEHOG, IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE REALISTIC" argument or anything, but that doesn't really make any sense from a momentum standpoint.

That sort of ultra-sticky "traction" actually made the Dreamcast Sonic games kind of difficult for me to play because it meant slight adjustments to Sonic's direction were basically impossible. I think Freerunner, as it stands right now, strikes the perfect balance between grip and drift so that Sonic feels agile and nimble without feeling twitchy (or on the opposite end, sluggish).

20. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    What about a stop and go? You like hit the breaks or something while you're running and Sonic comes to a halt where he charges his speed and you have a few second to adjust the direction you want to go to. After that, you blast off in the new direction at the same speed you were going. A stylish way to take sharp corners without having to do a full stop and spindash.

Or you know, just accommodate the levels appropriately to avoid such scenarios.