don't click here

Sonic Freerunner

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Azookara, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    I found this quite impressive. Obviously this was just to show off the excellent work you did with the control and physics, so I'm judging it as that. The improvements really show, the movement is so much better than in blitz. Just keep working on getting the kinks out of the engine don't stop premature like the Sonic Team did. I really hope to see great things out of this project.

2. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    Wow, I tried this out and I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised. Watching videos does not do this justice, the game controls actually perfectly fine (unless you guys tweaked vanilla Sonic Blitz to the point that it's barely what it used to be). The only small grips I have with it is that it could control a teeny bit tighter and that the camera rotates faster when holding R&L.

But yeah. Can't wait to see the final result.

3. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    I don't see why you guys have to only use the Sonic Colors model temporarily. Though there is merit in having a custom model for the game, you're talking an official Sega model with official Sega animations. It's gonna be difficult to surpass that, and it looks so nice right now as it is.

I say fix his animations a little bit to get rid of some of the anomalies (head twitches, etc.) and settle with that.

4. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    We were planning on having a flat-out custom classic model for Sonic, with classic styled animations. I didn't want to stick with the Blitzsonic base model because it isn't the prettiest thing out there, and I also feel that the Colors animations make Sonic feel like he's gliding across the ground instead of rushing quickly.

5. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Part of that can be fixed, though. I think Sonic's glide-y feeling is primarily tied to the fact that he can move faster than his animations portray. I ran in to a similar problem with my 2D fangames in Multimedia Fusion. In MMF, the fastest an object can animate is at a speed of "100", but if you have a smooth animation, that can actually be fairly slow looking. So I had to write something so that if Sonic got moving fast enough, it started skipping frames of his running animation to give the impression of moving faster than MMF's animation system would allow.

I've seen a couple of BlitzSonic engine edits do something similar.

6. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    What happend to the idea of editing the Unleashed model to look like the classic design. I thought that was a great idea.

7. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Tried it. Looked painfully awkward. :v:

We're gonna do what BlazeHedgehog just said for now. Honestly I'd just like to have a classic model over a modern onem that and the team as a whole seems to prefer the idea of having a custom-made model.

EDIT: and this is how I spend my 2,000th post. Woop

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Please, make this happen.

Not that the current model looks bad, but I'd rather have a good classic model moving like it should in 3D. It's just something you don't see often.

9. Tichmall

Tichmall

J.League PK Party, a "penalty kick" minigame.
    So, about those "cheat codes", what are the buttons used to enter them ? I mean, what is that "HOME" button ? And do the "left" "right" etc... buttons are the keyboard's arrows ?

10. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Yes, those are keyboard arrows. The "home button" should be the one around the other buttons (page up, page down, end, insert, delete).

11. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

You've never seen the home button on your keyboard?

[​IMG]

12. Tichmall

Tichmall

Thanks for the informations. And no, there is no HOME button on (all of) my keyboards, but I'll test the ones around and I'll see what happen. :v:

13. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    What kind of keyboard do you have? Even my laptop has a HOME button. If you're really stuck, turn NumLock off and press Num7.

14. Tichmall

Tichmall

I have an azerty keyboard, it's from the early 2000's I guess. The HOME button should be the one with a diagonal arrow on it, since it's at the same place as the HOME button on the other keyboards. I'll test it later. ;)

15. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Ah, in that case that IS the home button - just labelled differently.

16. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Since the birth of 3D platforming there has always been one obstacle 3D platformmers have had to overcome. Its much harder to hit enemies with a jump in 3D than 2D. In Sonic this is even a greater challenge because Sonic moves somewhat faster than other platformers. This of course is the reason for the homing Attack in 3D Sonic games. Its never been a good solution and I think you guys are aware of that, in your demo its replaced by the air dash.

But as it stand now the air dash seems pretty useless. It doesn't launch the player forward enough to be useful, and it leaves the player venerable to attack. I believe leaving the player venerable in the air is probably a bad idea, players should be using the jump to attack not flee.

So if not the double jump air dash, or homing attack then what? Well, the best solution I've ever seen comes from Super Mario Galaxy. Mario's star spin, a move that widens the players attack radius in the air and pretty much makes Mario invisible to enemy touch but only for a second or two. Widening Mario's attack radius with the star spin makes it much easier to hit enemies in 3D space doing everything for you such as the case with the homing attack.

The good news is Sonic has previously had a move similar to Mario's star spin that could be adapted for Freerunner. Its Sonic 3's insta shield, the attack widens your attack radius for just an instant making it easier to hit enemies. The insta shield can easily be transfered to 3D in the form of a disc shaped shockwave that shoots our horizontally.

[​IMG]

Again, unlike the homing attack the this new 3D insta shield won't make every other attack such as the spin dash useless. Why should I roll up into a ball and try to target an enemy on the ground when I can jump jump twice and instantly kill the enemy as is the case with the homing attack. This new insta shield only works in the air making it a great option for taking out enemies in the air, while the ground spin is still useful to taking out enemies on the ground.

So I vote 3D insta shield!

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Wow I never thought of that but a 3D insta shield could have been a great alternative to a homing attack in the first place. It's hard for Sonic to jump on enemies due to speed and size, so just increase the attack radius.

18. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Actually, it's funny you all mention the Instashield. The jump dash has been in the game for the past several months and we just haven't bothered removing it at any given point. Now that we bring this up, we are replacing the jump dash.

Here's something I doodled up not so long ago.
    [​IMG]

Basically, you all have the same idea I do, except with an added idea. Increasing the size of badniks to about as tall/taller than Sonic would help hitting them in 3D space. Then to make it easier, the Instashield is your handy tool. It gives you temporary access to a higher attack radius, while also deflecting projectiles, being a shield for a splitsecond (duh), and activating the elemental shields.. yes, elemental shields are going to be in here too so don't worry about that.

We are going to have the ability to use the homing attack though; except it's limited to the golden shield, like 3D Blast.

19. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Ahh yes I forgotten we talked about this already, badnik thing was next on my list bring up in this topic. Oh well now there's to good example pics. XD

20. NomadTW

NomadTW

I ain't gotta impress you fucks. Member
    Huh. That idea seems pretty obvious when you think about it....I like it. Makes the enemies look more menacing too.

So yeah, this game. Just played it for a bit and I must say, this is easily the closest to how 3D Sonic should play. The level design is big and wide, spread out and not linear....I fall off a platform and I don't die in a pit. Wow, I'm being spoiled here! Actually being able to play on the level geometry like you could in the classic games...I could go on, but a lot of what I noticed has already been mentioned.

Also yes, go with that Insta Shield idea, it's perfect. Reminds me of that attack they were gonna have in X-treme, probably would have worked the same way now that I think about it.

Keep up the great work, everyone involved. If nothing else, by the time you get the engine completed, it'll make a great proof of concept that we can shove in Sonic Team's face one day. :P

+ - Kidding. Maybe.