don't click here

Sonic Boom

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by iojnekns, Oct 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    It never sat completely right with me how Sonic Boom plays, till I watched this Shinobi III TAS. This is Sonic, playing like Shinobi.

2. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Mmmm, there's still something a little off in the execution, though, I think. You ARE on to something, though.

Still, I was musing to myself just the other day about how more things would be so much better if more games were like Shinobi III.

3. Just watched the video, and here's my opinion:

HOLY. FUCKING. SHIT.

I think we've found Megamix's rival here, folks. At least when it matures into a version with the entire zonelist and set of features ready.

4. I couldn't help but laugh with you. XD What's up with this dude? I don't act that way even with a hack like SK3 Master Edition. So would you call this a rage post or what? :3

5. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    The S3K Master Edition was awesome. I think the difference between "hard" and "annoying" has been stressed enough in this thread. S3K Master Edition is awesomely hard, this one is annoyingly hard.

6. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    I invert your statement and claim it as my own.

7. iojnekns

iojnekns

trouble keeps you runnin' faster Member
  8. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Here's my two cents. Firstly, all the people are saying this sucks should be banned or something. It's not even a finished product. I found it kind of hard to play, but the youtube playthrough blew my fucking mind.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Why can't people say something sucks? It's not everyone's cup of tea, and most people that said they don't like the game have at least admired it for it's technical achievements I don't think anyone can deny that.

10. anthonyloprimo

anthonyloprimo

Freakin' Awesome Member
    United States (New York)
    PROJECT ZEL, YAS World
    Now that I'm registered, I can give my two cents.

Gameplay: 4/5
    I have to say, that I personally like the gameplay. This is something that can take the term "breakneck speeds" and actually run with it! (No pun intended). going offscreen doesn't seem to cause problems for me. More often than not I'll hit a wall, or the screen catches up, or I personally stop. The quality and flow is virtually flawless with one exception that I'll get at later. It's very well done IMO, and well implemented. There's not much else I can say here - it's well done and that's about it. Not much else to say.

Sound: 3/5
    Tweaker, I'm sorry, especially after you validated me, but... The music is good, but I feel a lot needs working out. This could be personal nitpicking, but for me, I've kinda hated higher notes on the genesis (seems almost similar to why I hate the female operatic singers, as their voice goes so high). It reaches notes that can be harsh on my ears. Sometimes I noticed it can't be helped, but perhaps try to edit the notes somehow, or alter the pitch an octave lower or change the instrument.

...Thinking about it again, I'm starting to think that's a matter of personal taste but as I stated in my topic, I really don't know much about the abilities of the Genesis so yeah. Please take what I say for this category with a grain of salt. However, if you do work with MIDIs, I'm willing to make music for you, instead of JUST using other tracks from Sonic and Megaman and other games (or at least try to add a twist on the melody). So the offer is there if you're interested. Just note or email me.

Graphics: 4/5
    Oooh boy... the graphics. Well where to start... For one, I do agree the level seems lifeless but for some reason I like it that way. Sure, there could be a bit more animation to liven it up, but the fact that there is nothing but machines... it gives me the impression of a menacing mechanical presence, which we all know is a constant issue with eggman - robots, robots, robots...

iojnekns, I don't care what you say. The level art is pretty damn good. For someone who hasn't done spriting before, it's really good. I think my favorite part is the style of the third zone - reds and blacks, with a great amount of contrast. Simple but highly effective. The black background almost looks TOO dead, so maybe add a hint of red on what used to be the background or something? Otherwise that's all I can say.

The sonic sprite almost appears to clash with the rest of the level but that's a mix of spriting styles. Even then the clashing going on isn't too bad so I wouldn't worry.

Overall it looks great.

Overall: 5/5
    Overall I give this a perfect score because anything that I don't care for seems to melt away for me. That's about it. Everything flows better when you're actually playing the game, leaving you to not listen to the music so much as experience it. The artwork has enough detail so you know what's going on while you're blazing around the huge, complex levels. The moves are wonderful, the ring cost and ring loss are a nice touch, and the abundance of rings really does offset this. The annoying parts (spring flinging you into an enemy, trap or spike trap) is annoying, but you need to have those areas to keep people on their toes - which definitely happened for me.

Unlike those who compared it to Sonic Advance 2, there's only one unknown pit of doom I saw (where people thought you need to light dash, when you double jumped) but that's it. Nothing unexpected. This rom borders on a term I've seen on tvtropes, called "Nintendo Hard". Not QUITE but it's close which is something I like - just enough to drive me crazy but coming back for more, with the whole "just one more time" mentality.

This gameplay (or something like it) was what I was hoping Sonic Unleashed would be. "Classic Sonic Gameplay" gave me the impression that Unleashed wouldn't be practically pressing the button at the right time for jumping and moving. I thought it'd be more like the genesis games but yeah. I have to say I love this hack.

Bugs:
    The only bug I noticed is when you're running down the slope, about to go in a partial loop, right before you're thrown into the final area of act 2 (between the two orbinauts, with the large orbiting plasma balls on either side of you), right between those guys and the 200 rings. That last part before the second boss. Sometimes I'll be running or rolling, and I'll just stop, making me have to peel out, spindash or something again. That's the only thing. Could be the game physics or a level flaw. It doesn't always happen though, so it's not a BIG deal but I figured I'd throw it out there in hopes it can be fixed.

11. DDRKhat

DDRKhat

Keep on runnin' to the finish! Member
    iojnekns suggested I bump this topic with my video Sonic Boom TAS 3min 32.1333s
    snkenjoi also found the hack highly entertaining and sent me a comical Private Message.

12. pyrotix

pyrotix

Brooklyn, NY
    Newmindspace
    just played this for the first time. such a rush

13. GHNeko

GHNeko

sega stockholm syndrome Member

....God damn at that ending.

This is why TASes are my favorite thing ever.

14. Tidbit

Tidbit

Im excited for this, if we ever get to play it all. Main thing im excited for is the compy.

15. eX.A.K.R.

eX.A.K.R.

I just have to say one thing: Orbichev is literally impossible for me to beat without resorting to savestates. Yes, I tried - for more than an hour. I just gave up and slammed my keyboard in frustration.

I do hope that an easy mode can be had further down the road in this game, for people who might have difficulty playing and enjoying this game otherwise.

16. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    I see you're a trial member, so you might not know it's not super cool here bump a thread (the last post was 8 months ago) unless you have an update on your hack or whatever. I was expecting an update :(
    Also learn his attack routine, and just use spindashes to get out the way when he's cornering you.

17. eX.A.K.R.

eX.A.K.R.

Yeah, my bad; I didn't notice the last post's date before I posted.

I have been playing it a bit more and viewing some YouTube videos of other's playthroughs of the hack, and I think I'm getting better. The control scheme is still confusing to me, though.

18. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    fff I need to learn to read the first post before posting, not after.
    trash plz

19. FataJC

FataJC

Michigan-US
    Project Sonic 2X
    I played this for the first time yesterday and wow I never thought this was what it was. Great work, and I can't wait to play through it all. I liked the music choices and the level and character art. Awesome.

IGNORE THIS POST......MY BAD

20. Random Number

Random Number

....wow. What a dick tease it was to see this near the top of the thread again...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.