don't click here

Sonic 4 Genesis Edition

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by StephenUK, Mar 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Well, it's like his head is more 0 shaped than O shaped, so it looks squashed. The narrow eyeballs don't help either.

2. Rathe

Rathe

Do you want slumber? Kay-o. Member
    Something that will inevitably be canceled.
    The problem is that Sonic's head is actually tilted down very subtly. The head tilt is so subtle that no one can actually tell that his head is tilted at all so it may just be pointless.

Mercury - I sort of see what you mean and I believe adding a shadow would solve this.

Sonica - You are suggesting that I steal SEGA's work and splice it into my own and this is something I will no longer do.
    (Even though the sheet I initially posted had 3 animations that were edited! Totally not a hypocrite!)

Blue Blood - This again comes from the fact that his head is tilted down. The squished eyes come from the "in between 3/4 and profile" angle his head is at.

So at this point I'm thinking I either have to make the head tilt more obvious or lose it all together.

EDIT: Here are the individual frames (now with chin shadow).
    [​IMG]

And because I haven't used the word "tilt" enough in this post:
    [​IMG]

3. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Nah, the tilt is subtle but it looks good. It's perhaps that his eyes are too tall compared to how wide they are. Here's very quick paint edit (left is the edit, right is the original):
    [​IMG]

Sonic looks kind of shocked with his eyes as open as they are right now.

4. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    I think lessening the tilt and having the head turn a bit while walking would be good, and the eyes are fine as they are.

5. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I like the original better.

6. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    Administrator Note: This topic is safe to speak in so long as no Sonic 4 media other than pictures are discussed and things that "aren't supposed to be known" are not mentioned.

7. I'm assuming that's so you guys won't get into legal trouble?

If so, eh, fine. That thread was overdue for deletion anyways, in my opinion.

Anyways, back on topic, sprites look nice.

8. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    I'm guessing this place has been hit with a Sega C&D then. That's cool, this project is on a temporary hiatus until more high quality shots and maps become available anyway.

9. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Is this still cool to talk about? I really don't want to get in trouble anymore. oh cool.

I was curious if everything can be all recreated in with sonic 2? Or will some differences be taken place for stuff that can't be recreated?

Sonic 2 does have an amazing engine, but it does have its limits.

10. Chaud

Chaud

Here's mine:

[​IMG]

I'm not very good with pixel art, though. But I think his chin/jaw is too big, and his belly makes his posture seems akward. At least it's how I can express what I fell, when I'm looking at him; don't know how to say exactly what I mean in english.

11. Sparks

Sparks

I dunno, looks like he just took something and his pupil got huge.

12. Rathe

Rathe

Do you want slumber? Kay-o. Member
    Something that will inevitably be canceled.
    I would really appreciate it if people would stop editing my work.
    My Sonic is not an open source, collaborative project. It's something I'm doing with my spare time
    because I think this project is pretty great. I'm not saying you shouldn't give me critique because I love critique. Criticism is essential to growing as an artist. I just want you all to know that the sheet doesn't belong to the community, it belongs to me.

13. NeKit

NeKit

Russia
    Sonic SCANF
    It looks a bit strange, because Sonic belongs to SEGA. They don't disallow making games with him, do they?
    Anyway, you are right in one thing. Don't be like S2HD, I'm sure that most of people even won't notice difference.

14. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Here's a suggestion.

Don't post it then.

15. Dr. Mustache

Dr. Mustache

Likes Sloths Member
    The running sprite looks like his heads been stretched.
    And the standing sprite on the far left with the reduced eyes looks better.

16. Sparks

Sparks

It never hurts to post them to ask for criticism. :psyduck:

17. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

If you're going to post them, the best way to offer criticism is to show you what we think would improve them. I didn't mean to offend you, so sorry about that. The materials exist though, so people will tinker.

18. To some extent yes I agree with you Chimpo, but when we have people saying "HEAR'S MY VERSION". This topic will turn into the Sonic2HD topic very quickly. Unless stated otherwise, the sprites Rathe makes will be the ones used. So people saying "hurrr look I did one too" Isn't helping. Remember Chimpo, this happened in the "Retro collaborative Sonic" project. That turned out shit. So maybe we should stop posting sprite edits. The sprites have been decided. Move on...

19. Chaud

Chaud

I understand what you mean, but it is interesting that one of the best ways to criticize something is to try to show an example of something that works. So on one hand, thousands of small "versions" of Sonic sprites can cause confusion and pollute a topic, for another, show graphically what you mean is often more efficient than using words.

What is the fundamental difference, in practical terms, between saying "the pupils are too small", or make a version where you can show this? If the final version of the sprite was decided, great, we can move forward. But in relation to any *other* thing that has not yet been decided, I don't see how this can be a problem. Especially because what makes a project go on is it's leader. That at any time, can simply say "fuck everybody, I want it this way". What makes a project stop progressing isn't the number of versions or examples given, but the lack of someone to choose one and ignore those who did not agree - after all, these will always exist.

20. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    So thanks to LOst for ripping the background of the Japanese Sonic 4 site today, I was able to combine it with some of the graphics in this thread and a few other various odds and ends to create this:

[​IMG]

You can click it for "TV Mode". :v: I didn't use the background from this thread though, because it wasn't detailed enough. For just the level art, I think this method would be the most efficient (take snapshots, save for web w/ reduced colors, make tiles out of them). Call it cheap, but it takes a lot less time than tracing everything by hand and it comes out great. At least for the foreground, anyway. Anything that looks off can just be tweaked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.