don't click here

Sonic Fan Remix

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by pelikan13, Mar 13, 2010.

1. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Frankly, I wouldn't touch a damn thing, except for slightly zooming the camera in on Sonic to make him look bigger and more noticeable, but not enough to cut out pieces of the Eggmech and the mountains in the horizon. Either that or make Sonic's sprite slightly bigger or with more noticeably contrasting colors.

Yeah, it's busy, but that's not bad. It's great. The amount of detail synthesized together in that game is just staggeringly beautiful, and it seems like the blue tint over everything helps to mitigate the otherwise possibly more jarring onslaught of different colors. I'd leave things as is and only play around with the Sonic sprite at this point.

You mean global lighting?

Again, I really don't think it's the blue tint that's keeping Sonic from being more visible. It's his size and resolution. Both videos showed a somewhat small and mildly blurry Sonic. The only thing I'd think Pelikan13 and Mercury should play around with is how Sonic looks, not so much how the environment looks. It's less work and therefore more sensible.

2. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I was just talking about objects in general. I don't even know or get what's going on with the "lighting" or "blue" issue. That looks fine to me. :psyduck:

Like I'd take note of Emerald Coasts (Act 2? Second section?). It had an environment similar to what they're doing with what Pelikan13 and Mercury are doing with Emerald Hill; overgrown, a bit ruined, etc. Obviously it wouldn't be as simple as EC does it, but I think a median between that and what they have now would work pretty well. I especially get that vibe in EHZs tunnel in the video. I think my only other issue was some objects just seemed to be out of "nowhere," mainly the 'tree' branches, Eggman flag, and totem pole. I like these touches a lot, but it felt like they were littered a bit. Sonic 1/2/3K (but not CD) was good with object placing in appropriate spots. Best I can say is just use them as reference.

Overall, I like what's going on so far, but minor detail changes can lead to improvement.

3. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Absolutely fantastic. My fears have been put to rest, as it looks like it plays flawlessly. To get my own turn at beating the dead horse, the blue tint wrecks havoc on my eyes, but beyond that this game looks gorgeous; for this game I am filled with love.

4. jman2050

jman2050

Teh Sonik Haker Tech Member
    Woooooow.

5. Felik

Felik

Ok lemme clarify.
    Blue fog make Sonic merge with background therefore making certain people lose sonic from their sight.
    It also limits level's color range so it looks less colorful and more blue. I suppose these statements are facts.

High amount of objects on the screen may certain people detract their attention from gameplay. I'm pretty sure this is fact too.

High amount of objects make this level look tasteless. This is opinion of some people and not by any means a fact.

6. dsrb

dsrb

+1 on the new video being too blue. While it does look very nice, I agree with Neo that it was better with the more vibrant / actual colours it had before.

7. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Well, this looks fantastic. Expecting SEGA to force you to shut it down any minute.

8. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    I wouldn't go that far KKM.

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I suspect the reason why is because of what some have already said - it's simply so busy I suspect without the tinting it was near impossible to play at any sort of speed. This game does look very nice as a re-imagined Emerald Hill but anyone who's jizzing over this while simultaneously bashing Sonic 4 for being a rehash is an enormous hypocrite.

I do look forward to seeing a playable version of this game though, if for no other reason as an alternate direction S2HD could have gone =P

10. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Okay, I really don't get this. Why are there so many people being so harsh about this game? When noobs walk in here with their little layout hacks, you guys are all polite and encouraging. But these guys come and show us this (possibly flawed) masterpiece, and people are in full Sonic 4 rage mode.

What the fuck?

11. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    "Were fucking sonic fans thats why!" = Awnser to everything.

It does give off a sonic 4 vibe a bit but not enough to make me rage over it. it does look pretty damned awesome for being fan created and in 3d.

12. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    He's competition. Noob layout hacks aren't. This makes us feel inferior...

13. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie

Ah! Now that makes sense.

So basically,

[​IMG]

14. Alriightyman

Alriightyman

I am back... from the dead! Tech Member
    Somewhere in hot, death Florida
    0101001101101111011011100110100101100011 00000010: 0101001100000011 01000101011001000110100101110100011010010110111101101110
    WOW! I just noticed this thread a few minutes ago! This looks AMAZING! The art is absolutely beautiful and the physics seem spot on. I will disagree with it being "cluttered", I think it adds a whole new personality to an old classic level.
    I can't wait to see what this turns into later down the road.
    Great job! :thumbsup:

15. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    If anything, the "clutter" is just the natural evolution of the lush scrolling background and foreground layers of the Genesis games. I welcome this style, especially over the overly flat style of Sonic 4 episode 1.

16. Felik

Felik

Oh come on! I don't care if other person's shit is better than my shit if it is going to give me much joyful time.

17. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    SEGA is (and has been) very cool about fangames. Nothing's going to happen.

Hahaha (btw, Felik, he's joking)

We were talking about this earlier, Mad, and we've noticed that people who defend Sonic 4 up-and-down came in and immediately started being harsh on the project. It's pretty funny how that works.

Not necessarily. If something professed itself to be a sequel, you'd expect new content. This project is an admitted remix of Sonic 2. I think there's a difference here.

But let's not talk about Sonic 4. Let's go back to giving C&C to Pelikan13.

18. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    True, until said fangames look better than an upcoming major Sega release. The great hacks here on Sonic Retro aren't a challenge for the official Genesis games since Sega isn't selling them anymore, so even if a fan prefers to play Megamix instead of Sonic 1, Sega doesn't experience any loss of money because of this. But when a fangame starts looking better and better and better and better than something which Sega is just about to sell, one can't avoid to start thinking about a C&D...

"hey will you buy Sonic 4?"
    "nah I'll just play Sonic Fan Remix -- looks better, plays better, and it's free"
    *Sega declares bankrupt*

19. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie

I think that the main things this game would need to have to truly compete with SEGA are two simple points:

1. Hummable music. Something that nearly every Sonic game has and 4 arguably doesn't is hummable music. Music that gets stuck in you head. Music that you'll be able to whistle years from now and people will recognize it.

2. Unique gimmicks. Making homages is wonderful, but if this game gets some fresh new levels with some great gimmicks, then they'll really be on to something.

20. I think the most impressive thing in this aside from the visuals is the way the game looks like it runs. The physics look very, very close to the old genesis/megadrive games, and that's something that not a single 3D sonic game has ever pulled off. Not that they've tried to.