don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    [​IMG]

2. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    I love how Act 1 music is pretty similar to Tee's latest previous attempt at remastering the zone's theme:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F-_mN6uyJs[/media]

3. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Yeah, I agree. While it's going to be impossible for me to NOT see new zone announcements, just because I follow way too many people on Twitter and YouTube to avoid them, I'll be compensating as best I can by not watching any more footage of the game until it comes out. So while I might know that Chemical Plant is IN the game, I'll be able to experience any new bosses, gimmicks, or setpieces for myself.

I don't have any problem with Sega previewing new zones, but I really wish they'd keep the remixed zones a surprise.

4. rebelcheese

rebelcheese

I'd argue Planet Wisp in Generations is a mix of Grass and City, and Seaside Hill's Act 2 is more like Ocean Palace than Seaside Hill, but you pretty much have it nailed how much Generations' Zones lacked level variety.

Anyway, I was initially disappointed it was Chemical Plant... until I saw how Act 2 played. Holy crap so many new ideas and fresh craziness! Chemical Plant has been re-invented to the point where it's almost a brand-new zone! I'm looking forward to blasting through this!

So the zone list is:

Green Hill (Sonic 1)

Stardust Speedway (CD)

Chemical Plant (Sonic 2)

Flying Battery (S&K)

Mirage Saloon (Original)

Studiopolis (Original)

Mysterious cathedral zone (could be original or a remake)

Mysterious blurred zone (could be original or a remake)

Eight zones and it's still not the final list. This thing is going to be as long as the combined S3&K and it's going to be so great. :specialed:

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Really? I feel the opposite. I'd rather they keep the new levels a surprise and show off bits of the remixed ones. Like show me why I should be excited to see Chemical Plant for the 3rd or 4th time. What makes it special or different.

6. RGX

RGX

Animator Member
    US
    Returning Zones:
    Sonic 1 - Green hill
    Sonic 2 - Chemical Plant
    Sonic 3 - ???
    Sonic & Knuckles - Flying Battery
    Sonic CD - Stardust Speedway (Past only?)

New Zones:
    - Studiopolis
    - Mirage Saloon
    - UNKNOWN CATHEDRAL level
    - UNKNOWN PIXEL HINT level
    - ???

I'm betting there's at least 10 (5 new, 5 old) zones. Sonic 3 hasn't been repped yet, and I think I read somewhere that Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles were being treated as separate games. There's about 5 Hard-Boiled Heavies, and they seem to appear only in new zones.

7. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    We should expect more returning zones. Remember that there will be more returning zone than new zones. For now, we are 4vs4. I expect the game to have more than 10 levels. I wish and expect...

8. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

The ratio of returning to original was said by someone important to be 60/40 IIRC.

9. rebelcheese

rebelcheese

I think it could be longer. S3&K is 14 zones and you can get that on Steam for $5. Granted, Mania is a new game and not a port of an existing one, but I think that, especially with the knowledge that there will be more remixed zones than old ones, we could see two zones per classic game, possibly sans CD, although a total surprise zone from a post-Genesis game isn't out of the question. I still suspect the cathedral level could be a Genesis-ized Rooftop Run.

10. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    I actually was disappointed at first when I read the headline--as others have said, we already saw Chemical Plant remade in Generations, I was hoping for a different Sonic 2 stage that hasn't been remade recently.

But that Act 2 footage floored me, honestly. The multi-path tubes, the rubber liquid, the rotating sphere elevator...thing, the sticky platforms on the ceiling and walls. The zone also looks like a giant maze too, it looks hideously massive. And the Act 2 remix with the sirens....so good. The Act 1 footage is OK, its largely the original. But that Act 2 footage is on another level.

11. Chainspike

Chainspike

Stealing rings since 1994 Member
    Death Egg Zone
    S3C Delta
    I was hoping to see some levels from the 8-bit games return, but that doesn't look very likely right now.

12. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    All this, yet, still no Green Hill Zone Act 2 playtime with the new music outside of that one obscure video with all the chatter (and everyone on Earth's interpretation of the music....including myself).

I'm not buying the Rooftop Run thing as that doesn't fit the "Classic Era" and "New for Mania" Zones vibe. But who am I to poo poo on something that's good?

13. MartiusR

MartiusR

Magnificent, I'm really glad about system requirements - I'll be able to play Mania on my GPD Win. No need for Switch from Nintenduh to play in Mania on the go :)

On the other hand, I feel a bit disappointed about choice of Chemical Plant Zone. Yeah, I know it's one of those "significant" levels (or rather "zones") from Sonic series, but I was never a big fan of this zone - irritating music and rather cheap idea for level design. But since they're "re-designing" zones repeated from previous games, there is still hope that maybe I'll change my mind after playing.

14. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

I'm kind of disappointed that the death egg robot leaked. It would have been awesome to get to the GHZ boss and suddenly see that thing appear.

15. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    Agreed. Like, I don't want to know anything more, yet I lack the self control to go blackout, especially after all the years of wanting this. That Robotnik mech would have been magic to run into, before knowing about it... Well, I didn't have a choice about that as it was pasted on the forum, but I haven't watched the CPZ video yet.

16. rebelcheese

rebelcheese

Look at it this way, if that's gonna be the boss of the FIRST zone...

We're in for some seriously epic boss-fights that will make Death Egg look like a cakewalk.

17. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    Sonic the Hedgehog YouTube channel pre E3 livestream
    https://youtu.be/0nufmQ-bCY0
    http://youtu.be/0nufmQ-bCY0

18. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    What??? Chemical Plant Zone basically carried Sonic 2 on it's own! I can understand how maybe the music isn't to your liking, but cheap idea for level design, my goodness. What's your example of good design then? I demand empirical evidence.

[quote name=/dev/sr0]I'm kind of disappointed that the death egg robot leaked. It would have been awesome to get to the GHZ boss and suddenly see that thing appear.[/quote]

It would have been the best troll. It's genius as we honestly would not have expected that in the first(?) level.

19. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    CPZ is like the iphone of Sonic zones, aesthetically.

20. samred

samred

Sam from Ars Technica here (mentioned a few pages ago). I updated my write-up on CPZ to clarify that the bubble shield has CHANGED this go round. Bigger, faster bounces, and you can stay in your "spinning" mode in mid-air when you do it. Might only be a smidge of difference, but it felt noticeable. Thanks for the catch on my half-incorrect, half-unclear original phrasing. (And I brainfarted on mis-remembering the S&K zone that had already been announced.) Happy to answer other questions, but I promise you my 30 mins with the game wasn't enough to really deeply analyze what was on offer.