don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. DarkVDee

DarkVDee

Duke Of Palettes Member
    California
    Sonic DVD [CD2]
    That's a great idea for Knuckles. I hope that Sonic isn't the only one getting at least one new move here

2. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    I wonder what new move Tails could have, come to think of it. I don't have a problem with how he plays, but it'd be great fun if everyone got something new.

3. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

By the looks of the footage, Tails got a hitbox buff. Like, his entire body hits stuff while flying instead of just his tails.
    You can see this whenever he lands on top of and breaks open an item box.
    It's not much of a change, but it's there.

4. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

The hitbox issue already been confirmed to be a bug that's since been fixed. He can still only hit things with his tails.

Tails and Knuckles presumably won't be getting new moves. They already have an extended moveset that's grants them way more maneuverability and options than Sonic, and adding yet more moves would run the risk of slightly over complicating the simple formula of the games. Like I said, a wall spin dash for Knuckles would be cool, but it's not happening and doesn't really need to either. Sonic was always the one in need of a buff after Sonic 3. The elemental shields were only temporary, and the insta-sheild was lost on amateur players.

5. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I remember waaay back in the day, way before the terrible Sonic.exe wave started, there was an old Tails horror flash game where pressuing up and jump gave him the equivalent of a vertical super peel-out. I've always wondered why no game since to my knowledge has experimented with that.

6. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

That's brilliant. It's sooo slow waiting for Tails to ascend while mashing the jump button. I'd expect it to largely shorten his flying time when he does that though.

7. Aquova

Aquova

Professional nerd in training Member
    USA
    Has the insta-shield been confirmed not to make a return? I absolutely loved it, I think it was possibly the best idea Sonic Team had when making Sonic 3K. The only Mania videos I've watched are people who are only slightly familiar with Sonic, so I'm sure if things like the insta-shield or Super Peelout will return or not.

8. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

They're definitely not in the game as standard - that's been confirmed more than once. The drop dash replaces the insta-sheild (and is replaced by elemental shields on the fly), while the peel-out has been removed entirely. I suppose it's always possible that either could be present as a bonus feature hidden away somewhere, as the mobile versions of S1/2 had such with Knuckles and Tails co-op and elemental shields, but that's just a random guess in my part.

9. synchronizer

synchronizer

To echo what has been said about Mirage Saloon's theme sounding too much like Studiopolis... I have to agree. I noticed the similarity the first time I listened to the former tune, and it's a bit disappointing. It's not a huge problem, but Mario typically has the cross-level similarities of this type. hmmm

10. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

I'm still confused as to why they didn't put the super peel-out in. If Sonic needed to be buffed, why not give the speed-oriented character something faster than the spindash that every character has?

11. Deef

Deef

Mmm I didn't think of how the drop dash is still going to be overridden by the shields. That puts its in an awkward position; it's either useful enough to be an annoyance when a shield blocks it, or not that useful in the first place.

Yes the insta-shield was in that exact same position. I guess it was ok for whatever reason I don't know. Maybe because wearing a shield at all made up for losing the insta's larger hitbox and invincibility, while activating a shield move still broke the control lock, making up for the insta's ability there too.

We'll have to see how handy the drop dash becomes.

Honestly if Sonic had the insta shield + the peel out, I'd prefer some kind of control setup that lets all 3 characters activate shields. That way Sonic wouldn't have to worry about losing his insta.... and would be OP. But so would everyone. :D

12. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Mirage Saloon?! What's that?

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It's the desert level we've been talking about the past few pages. It's heavily based off Desert Dazzle, Taxman's scrapped additional level for Sonic CD.

[​IMG]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvNQw9MROns

So yea, kinda lol.

14. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Thanks man! I wonder if it is using assets from the original sonic cd's scrapped zone or just something that was made for taxman's Cd rerelease? Sorry I'll have to play catch up here, been spending too much time working on projects.

15. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    It uses some of Taxman's Desert Dazzle Zone's assets. The missing zone from the original Sonic CD was a ruins-type zone and the only leftover assets are enemies, AFAIK.

16. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    I think it would be cool if some other scraped or unused ideas made its way into Mania, like the Sonic CD R2 Antlion.

17. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    [​IMG]

18. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    GOD, that is so cool. That's the coolest shit I've ever seen. I love all of the detail put into each character's idle animations.

The moment this game comes out, I'm just going to stare at all of the animations for hours.

19. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    For those who missed the twitch stream, here is a link to the Mania section.

https://www.twitch.tv/sonicofficial/v/99187603?t=11h52m45s

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    Is it me, or at 11:55:10-ish there is a Knuckles exclusive path? I don't think you can go up there without climbing...