don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

The DVD art looks like the exact same crap we got in the UK. Along with the blue armed Aosth box art, yeah, Europe tends to get stinkers for the box sets.

I find it curious it has the modern SEGA Sonic logo for the menus.

2. Thank you for sharing this. I'm learning C++ as I type this and (although C and C++ are vastly different), I got more insight to C in the events that I do learn C.

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Er... Guys, you can quote stuff in here, you know. =P

4. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    So SEGA Japan just tweeted this:

[​IMG]

HMMMMMMMMMMMMM

5. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Yep. Knew it.

That's a sexy ass logo too.

6. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    So help me god if they disappoint.

7. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

[​IMG]

:v:

There's many avenues they could take with a new, wholly Classic new game. And I hope it's just that - new. Generations was merely five years ago with few games in between, so another game that's a 4th-wall breaking, fan service extravaganza so soon would be way too much. It just ought to be another other game with the 25th Logo slapped on top. I'll wait and see. At this stage, it's going to be a huge surprise if the anniversary game isn't Classic Sonic.

8. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Awesome image. And yeah it pretty much confirms a classic-focused game for the anniversary building on the echo chamber of hints and PR speak we've heard from both leaks and various voices at Sega over the last several months. I'm thinking something like Sonic Generations 2 but only with 2D sections based on the Green Hill Generations background in that image. I'm beyond excited to see what they're working on as Generations was the first Sonic game that got me hyped about the franchise in years. Could it be a retro-throwback game with re-imagined levels from the classics or something entirely new following the classic formula? I'm expecting something to build from Generations. Not exactly Generations 2 but close enough to it. Amazing to finally see tangible evidence of everything they've been hinting at for what feels forever now.

Looking forward to the eventual announcement. Sonic games are usually announced late Winter/Spring correct?

9. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I seriously hope they don't do a Generations 2. I love the classic Sonic design, but I really want to see it used for something other than just more remakes of old Sonic stages. We haven't had a Sonic game with interesting new zones since Sonic Colours, with Generations being remakes, Lost World re-using old tropes, and Sonic 4 being Sonic 4. I want fun new stage designs, not just Green Hill Zone for the billionth time.

10. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    I think y'all are getting too excited about one randomly tweeted image. I doubt it has anything to do with the new game.

11. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    It is kinda looking like we might get something classic Sonic next year though. Aside from the logo, all of the 25th anniversary merch Sega has announced so far is classic themed as well. In fact, I'm pretty sure they haven't announced any modern Sonic merch for next year outside of Sonic Boom stuff.

12. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    All the classic Sonic merch is probably just to cash in on the significance of the anniversary. I personally am going to make no assumptions about the new game until we get something concrete to work with.

13. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    I think you're probably going to get your wish. They've said outright that Generations was a one-off that they wouldn't be producing again hence the lack of DLC and a sequel. I'm not expecting Generations 2 but just something that follows that template I.e. 2D sections using that beautiful engine that they have featuring classic Sonic. New stages in an entirely new game is far more likely than a straight forward Generations 2 just because Sonic Team stated it was a one-off that they wouldn't be revisiting again. Things can change of course but it genuinely does look like that after the underwhelming reception of Lost World/Boom they've since retreated back to the template that resulted in their most popular and well-received game of the last decade: Sonic Generations. That Sega PR guy from a few months back stated that they would be heavily relying on the classic formula but he hinted it would be for a new game. Hopefully that's what they have planned for the anniversary game.

Something that's inspired by Generations and its success but not an outright sequel to it. I think that's what I'd like to see.

14. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Odd. This is the 3rd logo we've seen, the 2nd to be presented publicly. The re-used art makes me not want to read into it too much, but at the same time it's probably indicative of something since it's so blatant.

EDIT: Well, I figured the Generations Green Hill was re-used from promotional art somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. Must be new from existing assets after all.

15. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Thinking about it a little more I'm reminded of that decade-old rumour from post-SA2 when Sonic Team were allegedly considering remaking Sonic 1 as their next game. I know that this promotional image isn't necessarily indicative of game content but I wonder what are the chances the anniversary game could be an outright remake of Sonic 1? We have the Sony movie coming out soon so they could be going Ratchet and Clank with this (which is also getting a remake because of the movie) and following that exact template.

Just idle speculation here but I'd say it's not entirely outside the realm of possibility. Hopefully the anniversary sees multiple game projects as opposed to just one game.

16. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I don't even know how to process this.

I mean I do, but even I'm not comfortable with this mountainous surge of pessimism welling up from deep in my belly.

17. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Put me firmly in the no Generations 2 camp. They need to use those mechanics to build a game that can hold up on its own ideas and tropes, not just those of the classics. Last time they were able to do that was technically Colors, but the last time it felt genuinely new and inspired for me was way back with Unleashed.

18. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Please no Generations 2.

Also I'm more than okay with a classic or a modern styled game, as long as we're done with the nostalgia and ready to just have a dang good game already. Seriously, it's been a solid 4 years since a good game, 5 years since a game with full-on original content, and 7 since one where it seemed like they cared about making it.

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Oh. A logo with old art. Ooookay.

20. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    It's a nice logo, but it might not give any indications about the anniversary game at all. Classic Sonic seems to have had a resurgence in popularity over the past few years, so that and the fact that it's not uncommon to use classic imagery when a huge milestone like this is reached is probably why he's in the logo, and nothing more.

Particularly after the Sonic 4 debacle, I think it may be best to remain a bit cautious; I'm gonna wait until we have an actual game announcement before I get excited about the anniversary game potentially being a Classic Sonic game. I'd love for that to be the case - if it was done properly - but let's wait and see.