don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Really at most I'm expecting there to be another collection of ports or something. It's nice to dream though. :v:

2. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    I think this cautious, measured approach to the image is the wisest path to take. There's insufficient reason to become excited just yet given we've seen nothing concrete. We merely have a hint that classic Sonic is going to be involved in some way. It could be the focus of the new game but we'll have to wait until the actual announcement to see whether our guesses are on the mark. Excited to see what Sonic Team are working on either way. Hopefully they have more hints like this planned. It'll be an exciting Spring.

In other news the site that's banned here has had several news scoops over the past few days with news on Shenmue and Bayonetta. They have a new source giving them some Sega-related info. I noticed this line casually placed at the end of their Bayonetta article:

Sounds like they're dropping some kind of Sonic bomb tomorrow though it's unknown whether it's related to the anniversary. Curious however as to what they're going to post.

3. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Thing is, everything to do with the 25th Anniversary so far as been Classic Sonic themed. TOMY is launching a range of Classic Sonic toys under the banner (they've only done Boom so far), First 4 Figures was told by SEGA to do Classic Sonic and sightings at trade shows have all been Classic too. It doesn't confirm anything except a Classic angle for merchandise, but if that's the angle they're going for merchandise then it would make sense that it's because the same is true of any game. It would be so strange if all the branded merchandise had little do with the game.

4. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    This is a Tristan article we're talking about. Even his past couple of articles with leaked info were either inaccurate, old and already just assumed or public knowledge that he didn't know about. For example: Platinum looking for publishers who wanted to fund the rest of Bayonetta 2 was already revealed in an interview long ago.

It wouldn't surprise me if his source is just giving him public info that Tristan didn't know about yet, with some easy to make assumptions on top of that.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Plus this isn't the first time toys told a story about the game to come. Remember when the 20th anniversary toys had the levels of Sonic Generations used as art before we knew the final level layouts?

6. The Impossible Dingo

The Impossible Dingo

Socially maladjusted Member
    Sydney, Australia
    My game with an extremely long name!
    I'm just gonna throw in my opinion here, as much as I like the Classic games, they are what they were and Sonic Team needs to move on and stop trying to cash in on nostalgia. I'm slightly worried about the quality of the game, if so far the main selling point is nostalgia. Nostalgic Sonic games have had a very varying reception lately.

7. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Well yeah it is Tristan and I'm aware of his journalistic articles that focus on ambition as opposed to the accurate reporting of the truth. I recall him from the Sfghq days. I think I used to talk to him on AIM. His Bayonetta article is already seeing fire in the comments so you're probably on to something - it's unlikely he has any major news. His statement has piqued my curiosity however so I'll be keeping an eye on whatever he posts tomorrow. I think his problem is that some random person comes to him as a "source" and he almost immediately validates and puts value in that person without actually verifying their authenticity. Hence things like Sonic Dimensions and articles like that.

It'll be interesting to see whether he does have something major to share. I'm interested to see what it is regardless even though it'll probably be nothing.

8. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    So should Mario games abandon their core formula and start doing something totally different because Nintendo "needs to move on and stop trying to cash in on nostalgia"?
    Have you considered that perhaps the reason those games are still made the way they are is because it's a good formula and a practical approach?
    And Mario has rehashed its classic formula way more than Sonic has. If any series needs a real return to its roots it's Sonic.
    If Sega can actually pull it off then it would be more than worth it.

9. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    You guys will be begging for Generations 2 once they reveal the Sonic 06 Remake. :eng101:

10. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Just since nobody else has said it, I would be perfectly satisfied with a Generations 2. I mean, I get that all-new stage types would be preferable, but I'm surprised to see so many voices in opposition to the idea. The original game was my favorite of the past 20 years, and I'd love to see stages like Mystic Cave, Ice Cap, or Red Mountain get the same treatment.

11. Because people want to see something new instead of constant remakes? Yes, it is possible to do a Generations 2 and it be as good or better than the first, but why? It's better to see the devs be able to produce something great that's actually new (like Sonic Colors), instead of just relying on the old in order to make a good product.

12. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Given Sonic Team's track record of messing things up, I actually hope that Sonic 25th is Sonic Generations 2, simply because there's less that can go wrong when rehashing old content (and the original did a good job of adding a fresh feel to the past).
    If Sonic Lost World had been as good as Sonic Colors then I'd probably have more confidence in them doing something new, but I think they'd be better of saving their new ideas for the game that comes in between Sonic 25th & Sonic 30th.

13. The Impossible Dingo

The Impossible Dingo

Socially maladjusted Member
    Sydney, Australia
    My game with an extremely long name!
    I think you've misunderstood my point. Basically what Xeal's been saying. Although I'm totally against the Lost World formula. That just played too similarly to a Mario game. I'm probably not making too much sense, it's pretty late for me. Let's let my sane(er) self finish this tomorrow.

14. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I don't think we're getting Classic Sonic back, he had his day in the sun five years ago. We'll get a real good title that may or may not harken back to olden days in the right ways, maybe (hopefully), but I'm pretty sure we're still stuck with ol' green eyes. His Runners model and that promotional image of him from Halloween all show a green eyed Sonic with proportions closer to his classic style, I think that's what SEGA will be using from now on; partially as a compromise to old grumps like us, and partially to further differentiate him from Boom Sonic, assuming that's going to keep being a thing.

15. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    So you know how with Sonic Generations they had interesting stages to pick from from all 20 years of Sonic? Like, even if they didn't and instead went for Green Hill 2 or City Zone 3 there were still interesting zones to pick in the games those levels came from. Imagine if we'd get a Generations 2 next year and they'd have to pick stages from the past five years. Which stages would they pick?

In 2011-2015 we've had Generations, Sonic 4, Racing Transformed, Lost World, and Sonic Boom. Out of those: two only had remakes of stages, two primarily just re-used old stage tropes, and one is Sonic Boom. Maybe you could get a couple of decent zones out of those, but the selection of zones that would be fun to see remade is far less than even in all of the games we got from 2006-2010. And that period includes Sonic 2006.

It's not much of a surprise that people don't want a Generations 2, it's cause we'd just get to see more of the same stage designs when most of what we've gotten these past five years has been more of the same stage designs.

16. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I feel like we need a spiritual successor to Unleashed. Not in name or Werehog mechanics obviously, but purely in the fact that the game had an internal, broad theme (world travel) and extrapolated unique tropes within that theme. I feel a new Sonic game needs to employ that. Find a unique spin and take it as far as they can in every direction from that concept. Having Unleashed's production value wouldn't hurt at all either.

17. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Unleashed didn't really have a bigger production value, the developers were just more ambitious than with any Sonic game they released afterwards. Or at least the writers were. I would love a new Sonic game with the tone and atmosphere of Unleashed, cause Unleashed goddamn nailed that shit.

18. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I'm on board with that completely.

I want Sonic Team to care like they did then, and I don't think it requires something like a Werehog to get it.

19. Turbohog

Turbohog

Generations 2 definitely wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen. However, I honestly want SonicTeam to abandon the "boost to win" style of gameplay. I still think the adventure formula has a lot of potential; they just never perfected it. :/

20. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Well, Tristan dropped his Sonic bomb tonight. I can't link it for obvious reasons but here's his article:

It's interesting information but as with anything from Tristan I question its accuracy and reliability. You guys think the info is legit?