don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I thought I'd seen it before but I hadn't - there were Sonic-themed cards given away in packets of uh... "Bollycao"? Spanish thing?

Though as a testament to our brilliance, when I searched for it, one of the first results was a topic on this board from 2013.

2. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Looking at the Cutting Room Floor site, I noticed this unused Sonic Adventure 1 cutscene that I don't think Retro has listed. It seems to have Gamma fail his target practice somehow, leading to Eggman scolding him and ordering him to start again (love that sulky hobble from Gamma):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEwkfHkudpE

Looks like Gamma's target missions were maybe meant to be an optional part of the level (reminds me a bit of Crash Bandicoot 2 if you don't get the first crystal).

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I almost feel as if I've triggered this cutscene before (by failing the first match against beta?) - are we absolutely sure it's not used?

4. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I'm not sure. Final Egg and Beta's boss was never really difficult enough to fail at. Anyone tried exiting Final Egg?

On a related note, there appear to be some...odd unused voice clips for Gamma, play at 4:10 onwards. Also has an E-101 Beta Rescue Complete quote not used for the final boss:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqjojO03H3E

5. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    If someone doesn't beat me to it, I'll test it on my Dreamcast tomorrow for you. I'll fail the time attack, the Beta battle and leave the Final Egg to make sure.

6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    And now, Electronic Boutique, circa 1996, invent a Sonic the Hedgehog game and charge $32.99 USD for it

http://retrocdn.net/index.php?title=File%3ANextGeneration_US_23.pdf&page=242

"Sonic Blast", the "ultimate 3D adventure" for Windows 95. It apparently comes in a Sega Genesis box is about rescuing Amy and collecting time stones.

But hey, if that doesn't float your boat, Sonic X-treme is only $54.99. Deals all around.

7. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Hilariously, this is from that same issue:

[​IMG]

SEGA was right. Releasing shitty, sub-par Sonic games would definitely damage the brand. Good thing they dodged that bullet.

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Never seen those in my life, nor have I ever heard anybody talking about them. Must have been released on specific regions of Spain only.

Curiously enough, I don't think I ever saw any kind of Spanish Sonic merchandise from back in the day with the americanized names "Sally Acorn", "Porker Lewis", etc.

Now those were well know around here, but they're not related.

9. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    well, I don't remember any bubblegum with Sonic stickers, only the "Bollycao" (chocolate filled buns) sticker collecton. Ill ask around,maybe someone remembers it.

10. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Spain
    Found some info!
    Some people remember having it in Madrid, some parts of Andalusia ( not all, I am from Andalusia and I never saw that, nor any of my local friends did) and Catalonia. Seems like it was a temporal promotion from Vidal bubblegum, from around 1993-94 ( they said they were already airing AOSTH when this happened, even if for some reason it only featured stuff from Sonic 1. Maybe they were leftovers but couldn't find anyone who remembers the actual promotion 3 people assure it was around 93). It was also very rare, not many people remembers it. Along with the stickers, there were some tricks and cheats there.

I couldn't find much more.

11. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I'm assuming temporary, rather than one involving time travel. =P

Props on finding out what you have, though! I wonder if there's much more we can realistically expect to glean on that?

12. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgQvTAOdnOU[/youtube]

I'd heard of Escape from Ring Zone before, though I didn't know EGM picked up on it.

And boy, it sure is a shame Sonic Battle was never released, huh?

13. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Spain
    ha ha, yeah. Some times I mix up english and spanish, sorry!

I don't think we can gather more much more info on this. I wish we could find a complete sticker collection to scan it, some of those artworks are really cute. Many of them are also featured at the infamous bollycao promotion, but it would be good to have this too.

14. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    For those interested, SatAM has just been released on DVD in France.

Spoilered for size :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Who do they commission to draw these things in Europe? I'm sorry but they always seem to do a shit job

16. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    It's actually based on this concept-art from the show (from the blonde Sally-era)

[​IMG]

17. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

That's all well and good, but can they make or use something that doesn't look awful?

18. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    Maybe that's all they can have access to ?

The most important thing is to have the episodes in French, though, as they were very rare and never been released on VHS or dvd before.

19. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    For fans of Dreamcast/Sonic Adventure development:
    http://retrocdn.net/index.php?title=File%3AGamersRepublic_US_05.pdf&page=4
    Gamers' Republic #5, October 1998

"development system version 5 (out of 6). The demos we've been seeing up until now were running on version 2"

I don't know if "the demos" mean Dreamcast demos in general, e.g. this and this.

Still, 60FPS confirmed.

20. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    Neil Harding, the guy that wrote the '68k to C' converter for Sega left a comment here, going into some detail on assembly quirks that were tricky to emulate.