don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
  2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
  3. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Found some pictures the old T Shirt that came with my Australian Mega Drive II + Sonic 1 and 2 bundle in Christmas of 1993

4. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
  5. Xilla

Xilla

There was a black version of that shirt released in the UK back in 93, didn't have the Welcome To The Next Level though.

6. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Or maybe it did and they forgot to change the text color :v:

7. Felik

Felik

Random question:
    I don't play all that many games so pardon my possible ignorance and/or lack of information, but but why Sonic R is like the only game that ever utilized the palette cycling effect from Radiant Emerald? That visual effect looks pretty cool and seemingly advanced tech-wise that I'm surprised more games didn't do the the same thing.

8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Looks like Sonic's former band members got some more screentime:

Computer and Video Games #126, page 52
    http://retrocdn.net/index.php?title=File%3ACVG_UK_126.pdf&page=52

This article has come up before - Sonic coverage is layered on top of weird Sonic art we don't have access to, probably intended for use in Japan for whatever reason.

There's a rabbit with champagne, and a bird thing dropping a drink off a ledge. On the previous page, a monkey being set on fire or something.

HMM
    [​IMG]
    Different colours, but almost certainly the same designs?

bonus: Italian translation:
    http://retrocdn.net/index.php?title=File%3ACVG_IT_17.pdf&page=82

9. BinBowie

BinBowie

Na Zdrowie! Member
    USA
    So I was browsing Discogs and I happen to come across the Sonic Boom Sonic CD soundtrack disk.

I had a look at the scans of it and it states that "Mister E" by Pete Escovedo as an inspiration to the Good/Bad Future to Palmtree Panic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FtsM9ogg8s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN3FX8sL0Mc

I can totally hear the resemblance

10. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    That's listed in the US Sega CD manual as well.

11. I saw someone posted that there's beta screenshots on the US version, but there's some on the Brazil one as well:

http://www.mobygames.com/images/covers/l/232218-sonic-the-hedgehog-genesis-back-cover.jpg

Also, notice the special stage screenshot; it's a very early (I'm assuming) beta version.

12. Here's some explanation:

There is a significant difference in this course in later versions - there is strangely a lack of transparencies in the PC ports whereas they were in the Saturn original. This is noteworthy since the true transparency effect was not believed to be possible on Sega Saturn since it was rare to see it happen on the hardware. In the PC ports, Radiant Emerald was instead made solid and textures made use of flashier lighting. This is also the case in Sonic Gems Collection.

13. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    This is really interesting stuff - can't believe it's not generated more comment! It does indeed seem to be some more finalised promotional art using the "Sonic Band" characters - this time with Sharps actually coloured like a parakeet (as revealed in more recent info) rather than looking like a chicken as in the more well-known pic. As well as the two pics you've mentioned, the snow-based pic on the page prior to both of those also seems to be part of the set, as Max (the monkey) is visible skiing in the picture. The image featuring cars at the top of the same page also seems to be drawn in the same style, though as no characters are visible it's not very useful for ascertaining whether it's definitely part of the same set.

Incidentally, the weird purple colour of Max seems consistent between the snow picture and the one where he's catching fire, so maybe these were more finalised colours for the characters than the ones used in the image we're more familiar with? It's possible - the biggest indicator I can see that this is the case is that, if you look in the picture where Sharps (the parakeet) and Mach (the rabbit) are visible, on the right hand side of the page (between the second Marble Zone screenshot and the Labyrinth shot) you can clearly see part of Vector's early design behind them - but with a yellow belly, the same colouring as he had when he later appeared in Chaotix! Another possible indicator is that the small animals that are visible seem to be using their correct colouring.

Also interesting that you can see a Japanese-style Robotnik in the bushes in the pic where Max is catching fire - along with the presence of the band characters and the very on-model versions of the small animal characters, it definitely lends credence to the theory that this is some sort of early Japanese promotional art for the game. Wish we could see the full versions of this artwork - since it managed to make its way into CVG in the UK, I wonder if it was ever published anywhere in Japan...? It'd be awesome if it were possible to find a less-obscured version to pore over!

14. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    I've come across this Sonic the Hedgehog on NES pirate, using the covert art from Archie's Sonic Legacy #1 : http://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/SONIC-THE-HEDGEHOG-NES-NINTENDO-/201482550797?hash=item2ee94bbe0d:g:~XEAAOSwxN5Waf9Y

15. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    huh, good point with the colours- I just assumed they were using more muted colours so as to not fight for attention with the foreground stuff, but the small animals are indeed with correct colours, so dunno.

Sharps looks better like this, but I prefer pink Max and blue Mach, so hmm. Not sure how to react to this. Explains Vector's shoes, though- seems even by this they evolved from all wearing Sonic's shoes to all wearing blue versions of his shoes.

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It really is interesting stuff, it's just that it has been posted already, somewhere... probably within this topic.

We don't know if those were colored by somebody from one of SEGA's non-Japanese divisions or even one of the magazine guys, by the way. The chosen colors could mean nothing.

17. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    I'm sure this has been looked into here at some point before, but I'm finding aspects of this to be really interesting. And very, very mid-90's.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCnaw07LaS0[/youtube]

I notice when he plugs the EEPROM cart in at 4:40, it seems to boot directly to the S3K level select. And despite the video's title, the video was pretty clearly made in 1994.

18. The Impossible Dingo

The Impossible Dingo

Socially maladjusted Member
    Sydney, Australia
    My game with an extremely long name!
    This is a bit of a stab in the dark, but has anyone seen anything that looks like one of the earlier Metal Sonics (I.e. Silver Sonic or Mecha Sonic) in any of the textures for the Crisis City fight in Generations? I thought that maybe, just maybe Sonic Team would've included one of them tucked away in one of the textures considering Silver's remark about "fake Sonic sent for the Chaos Emeralds"? Considering what they did with the 3DS version documented a few days back with the birthday date, it's not too far-fetched, is it?

19. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    [​IMG]

Anyone have any more info on this?

20. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Well, at face value, it's a sticker collection distributed in bubble gums in Spain, where they're expecting to also have contact with English and Germans. Finish it all, you'll win a shirt and possibly a Mega Drive.

there's no indication of the company, so we're left to assume this was literal Sonic the Hedgehog brand gum instead of some other gum making a Sonic promotion. With that added, google doesn't find me anything for "Sonic chicle". I'll go ask the guys at Sonic Paradise if anyone remembers there being Sonic-brand gum in 1991.