don't click here

Sonic CD (2011) Post-Release Bugs/Fixes/Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by ICEknight, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'd love that, but I want to say it's not gonna happen because of three reasons.

1. This came out in 2011. It's so far done for an update like that
    2. Knuckles does not match the art style at all
    3. This game covers far more consoles than the Sonic 1 and 2 ports. A lot more testing, a lot of unfairness if Knuckles was mobile exclusive.

2. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Understand the first and third points, but I'm iffy on the second one because Knuckles was added to the Sonic 1 and 2 iOS remasters, in addition to Knuckles originally being playable in Sonic 2 via Sonic and Knuckles lock-on (and would had been playable in Sonic 1 via lock-on too, had color palette issues not gotten in the way).

3. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Knuckles clashing with Sonic CD art style is debated by a lot of us here. I for one think that Knuckles fits perfectly in Sonic CD and I'm anal when it comes to art clashing. Some people think that Chaotix Knuckles is a better fit, though yet again this is widely disputed even by myself (I did a picture edit some time ago comparing the two) considering how widely different Eggman's look and shading is to his CD sprites. The thing that stands out to me when comparing S3&K art to Sonic CD art is that the Sonic CD art looks a little flat. It's so minor that you don't even notice unless you are that anal about Knuckles design. It's funny that Knuckles S3&K sprite gets criticized for this when the Badniks from CD for the most of the time look out of place to the rest of the art style.

EDIT:

Here's the picture.

[​IMG]

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I do think the Chaotix sprite looks better in that picture...

He looks as shiny as the foreground layers next to him, unlike his duller S3&K counterpart. =\

5. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    That's because the S3K sprite there is a bit darker than usual, look at his eyes, they're grey, not white.

Anyway Chaotix Knuckles looks better cause he matches Sonic 1 sprites better.

6. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    He does have that shine to him.

Oh great, dumbass gaem theory time: Crackers used Sonic 1 art, maybe they based their own art's look on it? Was Mighty just a modified S1 Sonic?

7. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Can't tell if there is sarcasm in this post, but actually yes he was. His sprites were practically recolored sprites of Sonic Crackers Sonic.

[​IMG]

8. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    No, not sarcasm. It's just that it was a wild guess.

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Something that was brought up at another topic:

EDIT: And something else I found in the wiki:

10. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Bit late to the party, but I just downloaded Sonic CD on Steam, and regardless of the soundtrack being on US or not, it still plays Toot Toot Sonic Warrior. Weird :colbert:

Anyone else aware of this issue? Surely you must be.

11. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    This is the point where you verify the integrity of your game's cache, because that is not a bug that I've ever seen or heard of.

12. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

13. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    I assume you're talking about the Title Screen, and not the actual Opening Video right? IIRC the Steam/Console port of Sonic CD loads the user's save file and preferences after the Title Screen, therefore it always plays the JP theme. I don't know why that change was made (possibly it had something to do with how XBLA requires the save location to be selected when the user first starts up the game), but on the Mobile versions this doesn't happen.

14. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Thanks for the reply Taxman :)

I own the iOS version and have done since launch, and I've never encountered a problem with it. It's a shame whoever dealt with the PC version didn't pick up on this issue - I imagine it'll never be patched now.

15. I noticed a bug in the Android version of Sonic CD. In Quartz Quadrant (present) the Crystals in the background don't blink like in the Original. I also checked the Steam version and the Crystals do blink in this version.
    Also, the Amazo Fire TV version, which is basically the Android version, has the same bug.
    Another thing I noticed, the Original has Crystals in the foreground instead of in the background. In Quartz Quadrant present at the ceiling and at the end of the level at the bottom, in the Original the Crystals are in the forground. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ermiy-jbJQM at 3:29 and 4:15.

@Taxman and Stealth: keep up the good work! My 3 year old son also loves Sonic CD, it's his favorite Sonic game, although he also has Sonic 1 and 2 remastered on his Android tablet.

16. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    That's not a bug actually. The Crystals don't pulse for the same reason the water is coloured differently in Tidal Tempest on the mobile version - back in the early days of mobile hardware (e.g iPhone 3G), using the Retro Engine software renderer wasn't feasible, nor were shaders available. Most of the palette cycling effects could be faked using duplicated textures, but I couldn't fit that particular effect in QQZ, since the conveyor belt animations were more important.

As for the crystals staying in the BG, I think that was a decision made in the dev process (QA feedback or the like). Another example is how the parallax has been corrected in Metallic Madness Zone 2.

17. Thanks for your answer, Taxman! So you're saying the IOS version also doesn't have pulsing Crystals? Why does the Steam version have pulsing Crystals, this was also developed with the Retro Engine, right?
    Another question, in Sonic 1 and 2 it's possible to hide the onscreen controls. Will this feature also come to Sonic CD?

18. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    The Steam & Console versions have the pulsing crystals because they're using the software renderer, this is also the case with Sonic 1 & 2 on mobile, as they didn't have to run on really old phone hardware. The software renderer has full support for palette cycling and "raster effects" you see on the old retro consoles. As for the onscreen controls, if you have a keyboard handy, pressing space bar will toggle the visibility. The next update (whenever it comes out, I don't know) hides the controls when any button is pressed (and unhides when the screen is tapped).

19. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Seeing this topic reminds me of bugs I encountered in the game when I played it recently, but forgot to mention. This is in the Steam version and is related to the hidden pictures you view through the Sound Test when certain tracks are played. On some of the pictures, the game would freeze and no matter what buttons or keys I pressed it would not return to the game. The music would still play and loop as normal, though. I was forced to do a Ctrl+Alt+Delete to access Task Manager and kill the game through that. This happened on the "Batman" Sonic picture, the MC Sonic one, and I think one other picture but I can't remember which one. I Googled this problem and it seems no one else encountered it.

Since this is related to easter eggs found in the game and doesn't affect overall gameplay, I suppose it's not TOO big of a deal, but I thought it was worth mentioning since it is kind of annoying.

20. Thanks for the elaborate answer, Taxman. Would it be possible to enable the software renderer for Sonic CD in a future update? Since Phone hardware nowadays is a lot faster than when Sonic CD was released. On a side note, my old Xperia Play can run Sonic 1 and 2 with 60 fps, so Sonic CD should not be a problem when software renderer is enabled.