don't click here

Assembler games member has Sonic xtreme POV stuff

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Spinksy, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Jollyroger

Jollyroger

Thanks for the offer, I need a Cross Products modified Saturn, the one that came with the Cartdev development kit.
    If you have one of those I will gladly take it from you, otherwise I already have a standard NTSC-U Saturn.

Cheers,

JR

The code is missing a fair amount of critical files, which seem to have been part of a very, very early version of the SBL.

I guess I will have to reconstruct the functionality of those files from scratch, by using pieces of code from early SBL/SGL versions, and writing additional code, this is going to take a while guys...

JR

2. Thank you for all your hard work JR. I can imagine what a headache some of it must be but the results are gonna be amazing!

3. SANiK

SANiK

Tech Member
    I wouldn't be surprised if Ofer Alon is still serious about this stuff, but I doubt he cares now since it's SEGA's own fault for the leak via POV.

When I worked on helping kurisu try to get Ofer's level editor running on modern hardware by reverse engineering the NV1 driver (Bunch of Thunk32/Thunk16 stuff),
    Ofer was furious that kurisu was trying to use his level editor (I'm talking about angry phone call here).

Despite getting the editor to start somewhat, kurisu and I decided to abort that and just reverse engineer the levels from the files directly, hence how the Sonic X-treme level viewer came about.

Though, when Chris sent me just the levels themselves to reverse engineer, Ofer still freaked out since some of the levels were his.
    Man you can never make Ofer happy.

4. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    How early? I may have one from around 1995 June.

5. Jollyroger

Jollyroger

Sometime in 1994...

6. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    I have a few ripped DTS CDs from 1994 but none of them have SBL on it, only a few independent demos.

Many of the libraries still date to 1994 November on this 1995 release though. It can't hurt to check it, so here's the link:
    SEGA DTS CD (Unknown Date, 1995 summer).7z 37.8 MB
    https://mega.co.nz/#!Z88D1CZQ!zJK8e8T87JCa6W6oIT0DmPCv2MZJZu2A4pb1mWZy2Zc

Here's hoping it helps.

7. Jollyroger

Jollyroger

Thanks for the link, I downloaded it, and it turns out I already had that DTS issue.

Cheers,

Jolly

8. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    If you have it, can you tell me which one was it exactly? I think it is either 1995 June or July.

9. Jollyroger

Jollyroger

Yes I think it is the June 1995.

10. Jollyroger

Jollyroger

Does anybody have the June 1996 by any chance?

11. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    Only the March one, it has SBL6 and SGL2 on it.

12. Jollyroger

Jollyroger

Anything from July 1995 to all of 1996 would be nice to have...

13. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    SEGA DTS March 96.rar 182.6 MB
    https://mega.co.nz/#!0oVmSSiL!6YhvVYL5KgAB3LiUiyvqALzqPI4naUuCs4329YX7QL4

14. Jollyroger

Jollyroger

Thank you!

15. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    What else are you still missing ? (so we can keep our eyes open .)

16. Jollyroger

Jollyroger

There are pieces of source code I need to reconstruct, which were based on DTS demos circa 1996, so demo materials (source code of) from Sega DTS between 1995 and 1996 can help.

I have the NV1 Saturn controller board incoming, so that is good news :-)

17. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Neato, thanks for all of your help!

18. Jollyroger

Jollyroger

Ok, some bad news and some good news.

The bad news first: it looks like the version of the engine we have does not contain the "paths" code, the snapshot of the code predates that feature. There is a fragment of a source tree (header files only) from June 1996 that has a "path.h" and all the other header files are also more recent than anything else we have; unfortunately that fragment has no source code at all, only header files, presumably a backup.
    This means it will be essentially impossible to reconstruct the path functionality from the original code, unless we code it from scratch.

The good news: I FINALLY managed to build the Saturn version of the engine entirely from the source code, what a royal pain...
    The code is in a bad state, clearly in the middle of development. The player controls are not active, as the code was being rewritten to reduce the memory footprint and increase the performance.
    We do have the "original" player movement code though, so it will be a matter of finishing the conversion that was partially started, and that should give us a buildable version with controls, it will take some time though.

Jollyroger

19. winterhell

winterhell

Is it possible by looking at the function names in the header to deduce what should they do inside?

20. Bobinator

Bobinator

My thoughts on your posting Member
    Is there anything in there that looks like it'd have art, music, and that sort of thing? Just curious, really, although I'd love to know just how late of a state this build was in.