don't click here

Assembler games member has Sonic xtreme POV stuff

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Spinksy, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Nothing like that in this pack of files. There could be something in JR's source code. That would be a great question for JR. Although I think we should wait before asking him that one since he needs to concentrate on the job at hand.
    Actually he does have .ANM files on hand, I do not have these since these could be an indicator. I'll bring the .ANM up with him the next time he's online as a possible set that we could also pack in the .def release since they contain all the game sprites.

2. Elston87

Elston87

I'm raiding witches. Member
    It looks pretty crisp so far; I remember the Saturn looking pretty bleak on my old CRT I used to play on, especially Sonic 3D Blast. Is this only due to stuff being rendered through other hardware or via the editor? The colors don't look all washed out from what I remember playing other games. Emulators also tend to reproduce the games looking bleak, either that or I haven't touched a Saturn in over ten years.

Fantastic progress as usual; keep at it, dudes.

3. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    That's running on a pc using an nv1, it's not a saturn build.

4. Energy

Energy

So do we know if any of the builds have the travelling paths?
    One of the features that I've always wanted to play with since the level viewer leaked.

JR, Cooljerk and you are doing great job in keeping us informed yet suitably teased. It's a huge stroke of luck that this fell into JR's hands as I can't imagine many could cope with what he's doing.

5. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    You know what's interesting, I'd love to give you guys some screenshots from NiGHTS or something to show you what I mean but the biggest thing I've noticed with the quality of the Saturn's visual output is invariably just to use S-video instead of composite or coax. I swear, I did an A/B test yesterday and it blew my mind the difference in quality.

Also, of interest potentially is this:

http://www.rockin-b.de/saturn/saturngametutorial/SaturnGameTutorial.htm

Which gives an interesting tutorial on Saturn coding in C.

6. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    I'm not sure if JR has come across this aspect within the code just yet (to confirm what Chris remembers.)

7. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Any tease is accidental, haha. Not our intent. We're basically releasing these screenshots the second we have them. You guys are essentially seeing progress live.

8. Spinksy

Spinksy

UK
    Is there (anywhere) any eggman sprites or info - don't think I've ever seen eggman in any Sonic xtreme video/screenshot.

9. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

From what I know there was data made for at least five playable characters (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Tiara and Amy, Sally and Bunnie were also considered but didn't make it past early conceptual stages), however some time in they decided to drop them to keep the focus on Sonic. How far into development they were dropped is unknown though it would likely affect the possibility of any assets remaining in this build.

The boss stages will be most interesting to look at, especially if it's the Fang one. There's so little found of him.

10. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

We don't have the boss stages, actually.

11. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Sounds like "some" people don't read what you and I have posted in previous pages lol
    * Please excuse my over the top sarcasm *

12. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Oh wait it said EXcluding. My mistake. :P

13. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    I respect Ofer's wish for the source not to get out wholeheartedly, but I am curious as to how many people have a copy, and how many copies there are, and on what formats, because it would be a damn shame if it were lost. If I was in that position, I'd have several CD burns and HDD copies of it scattered in a few safety deposit boxes around the country with only a handful of people with access. A sort of Fellowship of the Ring, if you'd pardon the pun.

I say that because if any one of you guys die, it's gone.

14. winterhell

winterhell

inb4 first mod for the Saturn version is going to be replacing Sonic with Shadow.

15. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    So theoretically, should JR be able to figure out what is causing the bugs in the Level Editor (and entrusts the code to someone with the interest to do it), would it be possible to create custom levels for an X-treme that can be played on Saturn hardware?

16. Jollyroger

Jollyroger

A bit of news: after a fair amount of sweat and tears the Cartdev is finally running well, all of it. The System Disc works well, and I ripped the IP.bin from it to use it in the Mirage disk images I produce to test, otherwise the Saturn refuses to work, the IP.bin of the System Disc and the one on the Discs needs to correspond for the Mirage to work.

It turns out that we are missing some pieces of code that Ofer was using in his Saturn port (a very early version of the SBL), so it will take a while to recompile his engine on the Saturn to a usable state.

The video I have taken uses a version of his engine that was partially compiled, and I managed to compile and link with, but while it runs fine on SSF, on the real Saturn it works for a brief period of time and then it hangs; it also has some inconsistencies with SSF, the main one being that Sonic is much larger on the real hardware, so much so it takes almost half of the screen.

This might be related to the fact that I am running this on a PAL Cross Products Saturn (hence the reason I am looking to buy a NTSC one, please anybody?), but when I can fully compile the code I will be able to run a lot of tests.

Finally, with the Cartdev completely up and running I can see where the semi-prebuilt demo stops on the real hardware; what I can see is that at least it's not crashing, it is waiting in an infinite loop for the VDP1 to finish rendering, no idea why though, the code is large and it will take weeks to inspect all of it.

So the situation is as follows: Ofer's early engine version with editor (let's call it April build) compiles and runs fine on NV1, but with some nasty rendering issues that I need to figure out, which are likely more related to the NV1 itself than the engine code. I cannot completely compile Ofer's engine for Saturn yet, but I will get there eventually, and the version that is partially compiled hangs on a real Saturn after a short while. I have not tried the POV engine on the Cartdev yet.

Much more to come, stay tuned...

Jolly

17. Great news, JR! Thank you for all the efforts!

18. Spinksy

Spinksy

UK
    Thanks for the update :-)

19. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Thanks JR, and welcome to Retro!

20. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.

Hey, I have an extra NTSC-U Saturn if you need...

I am willing to pay to ship it to you if you need?