don't click here

Sonic Megamix

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Stealth, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    I'm sorry if me knowing things that you don't upsets your apparent inferiority complex, but all I did was give him some information. I honestly don't know how you're reading any kind of "tone" into that post, especially since you admit later that "tone" can't be read on the internet

As project director, Sonic Megamix is "my" game, and as many people as have ever been involved, Taxman is not one of them, which is a fact that is very clear because it's easy to find out who has ever had anything to do with Megamix (you might also refer to the wiki article, linked from the megamix article itself, and the in-game credits from the more-complete builds). As the only person who has ever been involved with it in any way, HCGE is my engine. It stands to reason that I might possibly want to use HCGE if I were ever to take Megamix to another platform, which I even very clearly and explicitly said that I would do in another part of the same post that he was responding to

I've worked with Taxman, he is my friend, and I've worked with his Retro Engine, but I'm not his lackey, and I'm certainly not his inferior, as even he has to defer to my knowledge and experience every now and then, which is how I even became a part of those projects. Yet, due to circumstances beyond his control, I was not allowed on the project for Sonic CD, nor was I allowed the same level of crediting (the splash screen, the only thing a majority of people will ever see in the way of credits that aren't the reproduced originals) for Sonic 1 and 2 as he was, even though our level of involvement was equal. Unlike a portion of the Retro member base and a few random other individuals scattered across the internet, the larger part of the world has no idea that I was involved in any way whatsoever, and even goes so far as to credit Taxman for specific things that I did myself. Now that all this talk of Megamix has begun again, I've even had people ask "Is Taxman going to help Stealth with Sonic Megamix"?

I try to make it a point not to be boastful, and usually when I say anything even remotely like it, I'm only attempting to present a fact that happens to sound good to people, or I'm responding to something like this. However, if people are actively being credit, I want to receive my share, and you should be able to understand that it is upsetting when it is given to someone else. So, forgive me if I'm just a little annoyed by having myself and my work considered less than second-rate

Besides, if I were trying to be 100% serious, I don't think a slanty-faced emoticon is appropriate

You're the only person who seems to think I was biting his head off or something for it. In turn, you bite my head off for taking time out to tell him that despite how I feel about the one thing he said, I do appreciate his support? What even is that?

Name-calling, accusations, and swearing... who is it that's being condescending, pretentious, completely unnecessary, and incredibly jerky?

2. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Taking this thread to a less hostile direction... and I already feel that I may know the answer to this... I'm just asking to change the subject...

What characters, if any... were ever planned and scrapped from Megamix? I'm curious to know the process behind these 5 characters. Sonic Tails and Knuckles are obvious, but the other two, as much as I like both, especially Mighty... seemed rather arbitrary.

Also is there any chance we would ever see Metal Sonic implemented? Because that'd be sweet. (Pipe dream I know... as I'd imagine if he were going to be in, he would be already.)

3. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Since you're answering questions, I might as well repeat the same question I've asked before and hope for a different answer- any hope for, well, and sorry, for the spriter, but, better Shadow sprites? Or at least ones that fit the Sonic 1 aesthetic better?

4. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I do second this, and slightly better sprites for some of Tails' frames. Knuckles... oddly enough feels like he fits, despite being S3K sprites... I feel like he can fit in almost any classic game.

5. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Mighty and Shadow were originally in Megamix before Tails and Knuckles, who were going to be unlockable until - if I remember correctly - people spoiled that for themselves too. So.. yeah. Good job improving on that front, guys. :U

I think 5 characters is enough, especially as we want each to have a somewhat unique playstyle, don't you think?

We'll see. While the Shadow sprites don't necessarily match the aesthetic entirely, they do somewhat, and they are also done. There are other aspects being worked on right now.

6. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Thanks. I got so caught up in criticism that I failed to do the same, so I'd also like to extend my respect. Your work is phenomenal Stealth and you're a legend of the scene. Don't ever stop creating.

7. Xeric

Xeric

Workington, England
    S3K Mighty Sheet
    Although I'm happy about the cast we have(Mighty <3), that's a shame. It'd be nice to have a female presence in the game. E-122-Psi's Amy Rose would be amazing for instance.

8. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    I knew Megamix wasn't dead. :v: After paying so much attention to SRB2's development, I've kinda expected projects to continue quietly behind the scenes, unless publicly stated otherwise. Still not playing any builds until it's finished, though, I've had a couple BSODs on Win2k from KEGA not liking the much older 4.0 release. (Which is odd, because I had never experienced one before in my life up until then.) Do not want anymore of those.

The first thing I noticed was the lack of a female as well, but, when games like Touhou or Skullgirls exist, I guess an all male cast now and then isn't the worst thing in the world. Tails and Knuckles look like fun to use.

9. I.... er... what?!

10. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Lilac in megamix or we revolt.

11. Felik

Felik

Oh god please no.

I think Megamix would be better without Shadow. But Amy would be a great addition

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I also think he feels way out of place, but it's not my game, so...

Anyway, that teaser looks really promising. Looking forward to the next release, whenever it is.

13. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Back in the day we kids assumed Tails was a girl.

Note: we couldn't read.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Shadow is kind of out of place in this game, but this hack was started so long ago that Shadow was still somewhat relevant. Metal Sonic seems to have once again taken the place of secondary evil, while Shadow has become even more useless than Knuckles. Despite how out of place he is, I love the sprites that were created by Chimpo for him and I love his move set, so unless he were to be reskinned to be Metal Sonic now, I say keep him.

15. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I'd fully support this.

16. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    :v:

Honestly I'd love to see E-122-Psi's Amy in here as a replacement for Mighty, but, that's just me. I'm fine with Tails being the chick of the group otherwise.

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I would support Mighty being replaced by E-122 Psi's Amy and Shadow being replaced by Metal Sonic.

18. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I think I may have indirectly stirred up trouble here.

Slightly off topic, I caused similar problems for Tweaker and co with Satam fans after my Sally hack was made. This project is sorta a hall of fame position for playable characters it seems. XD

19. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Megamix's character roster is fine as it is.

Adding Amy just because it needs to fill a quota, or to replace a character who's been there since the beginning is dumb; and to suggest Shadow is out of place and then suggest Metal Sonic is even dumber.

Get a grip, guys.

20. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I know this is a very unlikely and out of the blue question, but, are there any plans to continue Sonic 2 Megamix?

It could even just be handed to a different team and they can vent all the fan requests onto that instead of mucking up the main project.