don't click here

Sonic Megamix

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Stealth, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    It has a lot to do with the fact that I had to choose "busy" locations for each flash in the video to have real impact. It maximizes content in minimum time so it doesn't get tedious. Also, Robjoe's style has changed since 4.0b, so you shouldn't use that as a basis for projection, especially since Markey is also on level layout now

2. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    What I was trying to say on Twitter was that downloading the leak was my fault and I paid for it by it being unplayable. I quickly switched back to 4.0b afterwards, and am staying there until the real 5.0 comes out.

EDIT: Also, nice use of the heartbeat to signify that the project is still alive.

3. Saidian

Saidian

England
    Blast From The Fast (Fangame)
    So I'm just going to come in here to say I don't give a flying toss about the supposed 'controversy' and in my opinion all the devs are doing an excellent job, can't wait to see the finished product and I don't really mind when that is.

Kthxbye

4. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    It's not dead. Good enough for me. Have fun with the drama. :v:

5. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    I just want to say that I really appreciate all the work that has gone into Sonic Megamix and really appreciate that the teaser trailer was released in this thread. After that update, I don't mind if it takes a long time before we see another update whether it be another trailer or a screenshot. Though it would be cool if a teaser trailer released once a year. Once every two weeks sounds ridiculous considering the game's slow development and how the team wants much of the experience to be a surprise once it releases.

6. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    My opinion here is mine alone and does not reflect the opinions of the rest of the team.

While your recommendations, considerations and concerns for the project are appreciated (if not by the team, then definately by myself), I am almost reasonably certain, that your paragraph is in gest for the purpose of haggling more info out of us. It is luminous to me that you have more than enough, so kindly refrain from being greedy. Of course, having seen your posts in other threads in the past, you do appear to have a knack for sounding more arrogant than you're probably initially anticipating, so I'll be reasonable, yet blunt. Don't ever, ever underestimate us. We know what we are doing, we are extremely confident, very talented, and have progressed far further than you could imagine. The video you see there is the tip of the ice berg. Don't think that work wasn't being done on the project while stealth was away. It's Team Megamix for a reason. d=

On a side note, I hope you all enjoyed what you've seen so far. I am of course speaking about the trailer, and not the leak. I promise you guys, you're really gonna love it when it's finished.

7. Metal Knuckles

Metal Knuckles

HAVE SOME FUN WITH MIKU Member
    New Hampshire, USA
    Shadow Alpha, an awesome hack of Sonic 1
    What the fuck happened to Big the Cat!?

+ - I'll be honest, I was expecting the drama and "how dare you ask of us..." shit that we usually get when asking for a status update on Megamix. I wasn't, however, expecting that shit to show up after an actual status update.  

8. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Thanks for posting the soundtrack. I had most of them since Tweaker posted almost every zone theme on his furry music page long ago, but lacked Sunny Shores and a couple others that hadn't been previously posted. I really appreciate that you're including those, since I'm guessing even some of the non-placeholders will probably change anyway.

9. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Oh don't misunderstand. I personally know how amazing and talented the team is and have little doubt about the security of the project. My point was how few in the general public are going to really know this and have little to go on when it comes to knowing the integrity of the team, which is why people's view of the project is bound to go south over time given the factors. I'm not trying to haggle information either. I'm content with how things are, not to say I wouldn't like to see some new things here and there. Again, my point is how this is going to affect everyone else. I was more upset by Stealth's attitude being so sour than having a lack of updates. But, as I said earlier, it's perfectly understandable and I was speaking out of line.

Glad to hear of the stupendous progress. I'll be looking forward to it as always.

10. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Honestly I have no idea what to say in direct response to some of these individual posts, but I really do appreciate the support!

11. I'm excited for Megamix. It's the only Rom Hack I've "followed", ever. You guys are doin' the lord's work and I wish you didn't have to deal with negativity and publicity, but that's the nature of the beast. Keep up the great work, guys. I'll play it when it's out.

12. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    When I want to see progress updates all the time, I look at project AXSX. I let the rom hacks come as surprises. Tweaker once told me it was absurd to imagine a rom hack where all the characters are playable instead of just 5 or so, but then I saw E-122-Psi's individual character hacks and realized maybe that was the better way to go because each one's movesets could be elaborated on more. Still I like Megamix for having the largest character roster of any hack so far. The only 2D game with more characters to choose from is a legit one - Knuckles Chaotix, but that's on 32X not Sega CD or Genesis. I'm not sure what the reasonable character limit would be on Sega CD.

13. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Incorrect. Classic Heroes begs to differ. Also when I finish my hack it'll be in competition as well.

14. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    It depends on how much work you want to do; how varied you want the characters to be, how well you want the gameplay to revolve around what they can do. Chaotix doesn't seem quite comparable to Megamix in that way because all of the characters are basically the same. They run, jump, can throw each other, and have special moves that can all be basically described as "a way to go up", which can be better accomplished with the throw and band mechanic anyway with some practice. The level layouts don't seem to be made in a way that matters at all which character you're playing

If you modularize at least the bulk of their assets like I did, you can add a whole lot more to a CD game than you could a cartridge game just because you have a whole 640MB of total space in which to store things that don't need to be immediately accessible (so, you do still need enough immediate-access storage to load an individual character into) rather than a standard 4MB cartridge. You could use bank swapping for more cartridge space, but there's a point at which increasing ROM size any more gets kind of ridiculous

Five is enough to deal with already, though, if you want to try and vary things

Also, the Sonic Advance series comes to mind, as 2 and 3 also have five playable characters, so they're at least on-par with Megamix. Arguably, Sonic Advance 3 probably takes the cake since all possible combinations affect the way each of the characters work in different ways

15. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    I got a question that I'm almost certain is going to sound stupid, so apologies in advance if that is indeed the case.

Basically, do you know how you guys are going to distribute this game once it's complete? By my very raw definition it isn't even so much of a hack anymore, but instead its own thing with so many features that simply don't leave much room for the title of "Sonic hack". Plus, you guys are doing a load of work to create and polish Megamix, possibly more than any other hack ever received. Therefore I was wondering if it's simply going to be a free downloadable ROM like the years before or if there's going to be more, like making an EXE standalone, pressing CDs, or maybe even getting in touch with Sega.

I'm pretty sure it's going to be just a normal ROM download, but after what I've seen you accomplish with the last point on that list before, Stealth, I at least felt like I shouldn't rule out the possibility.

In any case, great to see this thing still going strong, and I wish you guys the best of luck for the future! :)

16. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    Ah sorry I haven't checked out Classic Heroes in a long time. I never knew the three main Chaotix were added to the game. Last time I checked it out, it was the earlier build with just Sonic, Tails and Knuckles.

17. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    Well, certainly can't be a ROM, since it's a Mega CD game. But presumably it'll be a freely released ISO, yes.

The idea of getting in touch with Sega is laughable — Sega actively dislike the fact that fans are altering their work. They'd never go for anything like this.

18. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Your yellow stage in that video is very yellow. More yellow than it used to be I'm sure.

There's too many of you for the project not to have a lovely colour palette. Alter some hues on the way down or something - I find that having a single hue with multiple brightness levels isn't the best plan. Knuckles' Chaotix offers good council.

19. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    Ha good ol' Megamix, after all this time, there's still a lot of surprises to see.
    Gotta say thank you for this trailer, it definitely shows that you guys have made a lot of progress, and as Markey said, it looks like it's only the tip of the iceberg.

Good luck to you guys and take your time, I know it'll be worth it!

Indeed, never forget what happened to Streets of Rage Remake.
    Of course, SEGA seems to be much more tolerant to the Sonic hacks and fangames but better not push the luck too far.

20. ZanaGB

ZanaGB

I am honestly surprised how heated things have gotten for an actual status report :S

The trailer I think it is more than enough for most of us until we get another status update, and well, 3 years have passed already ( who would say ) so I am certain that things are just getting better.

I may probably spoil myself with the leak given that is there and such :v:

Good luck to all the devs and the team! May a release come before 2024