don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. DinnerSonic

DinnerSonic

Never Posting Since 2004! Member
    In an attempt to activate the unused Spikes/Rocket skills that are listed in the skills file, I went and found out how to edit skills in the sonic.sav file. I couldn't figure out how to give ownership so to say of a specific skill, meaning trying to view a skill set with something you don't have will get rid of it, but you're free to use them as long as you don't try to customize and then save a skill set.

Sadly I couldn't find any values that gave any-time Wisps, but I found out pretty much every other skill, meaning I can do things such as give Modern Sonic a Thunder Shield(with an attraction radius of almost nothing) or Power Sneakers(Which seem to only work in 2D?) as skills. (no, Boardmaster doesn't work for Modern Sonic, it just freezes EDIT: unless the level has the board loaded via ArchiveTree.xml.) Skill sets start at offset A124 for Classic Sonic and A1B4 for Modern Sonic, four bytes per skill. For example, 04000000 is Power Break. FFFFFFFF is no skill.

00=???
    01=???
    02=???
    03=???
    04=Power Break
    05=Sure Footed
    06=Safety Net
    07=Last Chance
    08=???
    09=10 Second Rings
    0A=Athletic
    0B=Time Brake
    0C=Super Sonic
    0D=Fire Shield
    0E=Aqua Shield
    0F=Thunder Shield
    10=Twin-Spin Attack
    11=Invincible Start
    12=Shield
    13=Power Sneakers
    14=Long Spin Dash
    15=Treasure Scanner
    16=Homing Attack
    17=Hercules Strength
    18=Breath Holder
    19=Boardmaster
    1A=Ring Time
    1B=Blast Off
    1C=Speed Up
    1D=Direct Jump
    1E=Power Stomp
    1F=Quick Slide
    20=Acceleration
    21=Smasher Bonus
    22=Boost Gauge Up
    23=???
    24=Serial Homing
    25=Auto-Gauge
    26=Gauge Rebooter
    27=Trick Mastery
    28=Endless Boost
    29=???
    Nothing beyond this does anything either.

2. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Suggestions I'd make on the Dragon Road hub world:

Like Falk said, smaller and more compact. I think the trail of light is important; in the actual Sonic Generations hubs, it usually followed in to a pathway through the level, here it just seems to sort of float off in to nothing. What if the entrance was one of the big Dragon's heads?

[​IMG]

3. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    So, how would I go about loading challenge levels? Do I load the base level, then the objects from one of the challenge levels?

4. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    Likely the reason it freezes is because the level didn't load the assets for the board, you need to append all of the levels to the <Board> section in the ApplicationTree.xml, at least that's how it works if you want to add the board to any levels that aren't City Escape or that one Rooftop Run mission.

5. BandicootG

BandicootG

Ireland
    Making a Blaze the Cat mod for Sonic Generations.
    Even though this is nowhere near as awesome as what the Unleashed team are doing right now,
    I'll just leave the video here for feedback purposes:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZKTZDJ1Ur0

6. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    A 3D HUB, since it's entirely possible and the gates work with it, and the BGM Transitions can be placed differently. I know working on something again and again will just make it come out better, but this thing will just be trashed later on, so there's not much point to redesigning it.

And the blending transitions is something handled by vertex paint... which I'm not exactly sure how to use in Max yet.

I made it as wide as widescreen because originally, I thought it would be a cool idea to put 4 mission gates(5th one out due to being the rather useless doppelganger race), at the sides, since I dislike the playing around in the HUB normally just to get to a mission, which is pretty much the reason I never replay them.

TL;DR;, this thing is just for the demo, will be trashed later, so there's no point to nitpick on it and redesign it. I'm pretty sure all of you will just glance at it and enter the level straight away. :v:

7. Falk

Falk

Community will dissect green eyes for over 10 years so...

8. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

Don't forget quills. Seriously, go look over the last few pages of Sonic Stadium's "The Official Sonic Generations Mods Topic" thread... they argued about QUILLS

EDIT: If this came across as some kind of advertisement, insult, or other offensive thing, I apologize. I was merely trying to make a joke about the weird arguments that SEGA fans get into.

9. Dario FF

Dario FF

On to more interesting things, for any VertexPaint users with 3DS Max, you'll be happy to know it does work with the Ogre Exporter... it just has some issues that need to be fixed.

So next SonicGLvl update should to have the following:
    - Vertex Paint support(Blending Textures, Blending Vertex Color)
    - A fully reworked Mesh management code(took me like 5 hours to refactor it all, but the result is really neat), which fixed almost all issues that some users were having with imported scenes and badly assigned materials.
    - Some spline previewing fixes for scaling, and snapping.
    - An option for making the objects face the Polygon you're pointing at with the cursor.
    - A planned "Find" box, which should feature multiple additional features, like finding and selecting objects by values in their attributes(which would as well negate the need for a "search by object id" option).

This is more of some sort of instant ToDo list I have planned, most of these aren't implemented yet. But that's kinda how I work, plan them ahead a lot, and implement it.

10. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    I can't wait! Will there be a robust method of copying and pasting point3 values? Many times I'll need to copy the coordinate set of an object into the 'target point in space' field(s) of another object. Manually selecting the entire field and copying it, then manually overwriting the other field is a tedious process that could be made faster.

11. Dario FF

Dario FF

I thought about that one, but the only problem with it is that the Position vector is still considered just three separate doubles with the <Position> node at its root. I could implement ugly hacks, but for the sake of design I think it would be handy to finally implement two new attribute types. :vector3, and :quaternion. If I implement it like that, a different editing box would show up in the window page in the right, and it would have a button for picking the point in space, or the point of the object you're hovering over. I've been wanting to redesign that thing at the side for also doing proper list support and some ComboBox stuff... I think the object code might be in need of a serious overhaul any time soon as well.

12. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

So after some of the recent updates, I went digging around some of Falk's other work and found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjtXrKpW7G4

How feasible would it be to try and build a stage around this kind of music gimmick? I mean, Green Hill and Sky Sanctuary have tracks for when you're going fast (and I'm not referring to the boost tracks), and it seems like the White World music system has the potential for this sort of sectional area-based track idea, so I don't think that something like this is outside the realm of possibility. Does anybody else have any insights on this? I'd absolutely LOVE to see a system like this in action.

13. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    Uh... Generations has this on all the stages, it's just not that much noticeable. I guess the best place to check it out must be Speed Highway, when Sonic is running down the building, the music completly changes to a "chase" tune, and when you hit the floor, the original music is restored.

Proof of that concept is if you look at the music files ripped from Generations in this very thread if I'm correct, you'll see that they're all fragmented insted of a single file...

14. Dario FF

Dario FF

They're only fragmented because they use an intro(of about 8 seconds or so) and then a loop. There's alternate boost variants, and only green hill zone and sky sanctuary use the "fast" version of the tracks. The transitions on Speed Highway and City Escape are just exceptions hardcoded in.

The HUB collision objects can't really be used for this concept because they just use Stage IDs to refer at which HUB song to play, rather than the filename.

15. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    They actually use the "ChangeBGM" collision/trigger but it doesn't let you choose what song to play. So, I assume is hard-coded, like Dario said.

16. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

Well that's a damn shame... I would have loved to see Falk's idea implemented in-game somehow.

17. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Anything worth doing is worth doing right. I'm not stomping my feet and demanding it get changed right this second, I'm just offering my opinions and what I think would improve things, is all.

[​IMG]

18. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    I just found that video last week, and I'm glad to see it brought up, if nothing else. It's a really phenomenal idea, and I enjoyed Falk's inspirations for how he put it together. (Western music tends to go with the action, but stays out of the way like a movie score. Eastern music is catchy and memorable, but more static. Combine the two!)

Implementing it would be making major, major changes to the sound engine, not to mention writing a new soundtrack. Nonetheless, if the next proper Sonic game doesn't feature this, I'll be just a little disappointed.

19. Dario FF

Dario FF

I know what you mean, but with a deadline looming, real life issues with time, and one of my modellers in vacation, I have my hands a bit tied on this one. Particularly with a thing that doesn't have much of a priority actually since it's just for impressions on a demo. If I have the time to spend on it(particularly because you also have to render the lighting for it, which takes a lot of time as well), I will.

Not to mention I'd rather work on these new features for the editor so people can do better entries for the hacking contest as well.

20. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

I'm glad to see somebody else also loved the idea. I have to say, though, I don't think it would require too much change. It looks like if the previously-mentioned HUB collision objects and background music changes weren't coded the way they were, it would be incredibly doable. Damn SEGA and their hardcoding... :argh: