don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Oh, awesome. Looking forward to it. However, I think there should be a guide on porting objects from on stage to another. Where is the SVN by the way?

2. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Just so everyone knows, I'm not using the running animation I made for SA Generations (I have an animator now), I'm going to release it so people can use it in their hacks:

http://x-hax.cultnet.net/SonicRunJetDash_Convt.max

3. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Sooo...how would one go about trying to get the community to work on Sonic'06 in the Hedgehog Engine, with all this nice Generation hacking?

By Sonic'06, I mean everything redone so the thing's actually good.

4. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    You start working on it, show some nice progress, and hope other people join in.

5. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I doubt you'll see too much energy for that, that's a huge undertaking.

But...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zij1wCV0bSQ

recently saw this, so maybe someone will just come up with more '06 level mods.

6. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    It might be better to try to work the SonicGDK into a Generations engine. Well, maybe. Might be about the same work. Only thing with the SGDK is that you'd have to code a lot of the Generations, or Modern mechanics.

7. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
  8. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    Man oh man is that badly done. I can't look at all of the videos because my internet is simply being way too slow, but I buffered just enough of that one to see how bad it was :v:
    I mean, the mesh looks...OK, but dat UV mapping.

9. Falk

Falk

This actually really makes me wonder how Generations may have played out if the level design was more platform-centric. I mean yeah, there's stuff like Planet Wisp's starting, but that really was just basic platforms/crumbling bridges in a linear path; not nearly as interesting as when the level path winds all over a few structural elements like this does.

It probably wouldn't have worked out anywhere near as well in Unleashed compared to Generations just due to how much clunkier the controls/physics/handling, and the Unleashed sorta cemented certain design paradigms, but having Sonic take a breather from the constant GOTTA GO FAST RACETRACK GOOOOO seems like it may have been really nice.

And yes I know the other act of Windy Valley pretty much -was- a racetrack. :V

10. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    New update to JoeTE's Supersonic mod:

11. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

That's amazing! (Also, you won't need to keep posting Joe's work here. I ran into ScarredSun in the #retro chat and got her to look through the list of people in pending limbo, including both myself and JoeTE. As of today both him and I are members of Sonic Retro!)

How's the pipe idea working out so far? Also, as far as the custom objects... I'd imagine that Seaside Hill's crushers would be the ideal candidate for the crushing roofs/floors, and the door could probably be done with something involving those switch-block things used in certain challenges (although I don't think too many people would mind if you took out the doors... just less stuff in the way of the running, I suppose).

Anyway, all of you hackers keep up the good work!

12. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    I've started working (adding on to)on the special object guide about the attribute types. I'll update as I test things out in levels, If anyone wants to add, please, do so. In fact, I urge you too. =P

13. Dario FF

Dario FF

It only has some bad normals and seams which can be fixed, but alas I'm a bit busy right now to do it. And the lighting's gotta be tweaked a bit.

EDIT: Chimera modeled it/ripped it initially, I just did some several rearrangements on it.

14. Ryuki

Ryuki

That Dragon Road representation in the HUB looks amazing, and the jazzed up remix sounds great; can't wait to see more progress on this. :)

Great work guys.

15. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    I love how my credit is a last ditch edit :P

either way, nice edits, nice import, and I hope everyone can excuse me for making the thing so damn huge and spread out lol.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That is just so fucking awesome. Only thing I have to suggest is maybe making the area a bit narrower to go with how the level gates look like in the game. Also are those signpost placeholders in the game or did you make them?

Also I have a question. In the Japanese version of the game, does the HUB world text for Rooftop Run change to Orange Roofs? That's been plaguing me for months but not to the point where I've felt like asking about it before now.

17. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

Holy CRAP is that awesome! Great job to all of you! (The signposts that say "Reserved" were a nice touch, by the way.)

18. Dario FF

Dario FF

We're actually planning on doing another kind of HUB, this is just a thing for the little Demo that we're cooking up for you can guess what next month.

They're the goal signposts edited.

I can't confirm it since I don't have the japanese version of the game, but the 3D Text for the stage is there. There's actually two models, pam_obj_euctextA.model and pam_obj_euctextB.model, one says Rooftop Run, and the other Orange Roofs.

19. Brilliant work on Dragon Road but I really can't help but notice the Eagle in the background is moving like Kes off Bo Selecta! And now the entire image is ruined.

20. Falk

Falk

Looking good!

I don't know what the 'other thing' you're doing is, nor how much effort you'd want to spend on this (temporary, then, I take it?), but here are some things that stand out to me:

[​IMG]

- Dimensions: The Hub World models (I'm just going to call them set pieces, like in museums/waxworks) are generally slightly narrower than 1 screen on widescreen, and often go off the top of the screen.
    - Detail: Originals are generally a lot more compact/ballooned up compared to ingame geometry. The various pieces interlock together a lot closer together so that the eye is drawn from one to the next without even having to look/seek out details.
    - The transition from set piece to white world is gradual, and there's no white within the set pieces themselves

With that in mind here are some suggestions:
    - Rocks curved in more so that they occupy less than 1 screen from end to end
    - Back section of rocks taller than the sides.
    - All the elements should to be scaled up, then compacted.
    -- Pagoda-thing can be bigger with less actual layers
    -- Dragon slightly bigger, but curved tighter.
    -- Waterfall should be huge, covering at least 1/4 the screen. Ditto the other buildings up against the mountains
    -- Yellow spinny things of death could overlap horizontally, one above the other.
    - Fill the bottom with green water. I know there weren't actually any spinny things and water at the same time but they're both representative of the level. Not too sure if the reflection maps would work out in a level select with multiple set pieces but some compromise probably could be made
    - The 2.5D platform should stretch past the bottom of the screen and fade-to-white (texture/shader work, not geometry) towards the edges.

edit: oh, the center of each set piece in the originals also have an 'entrance' of sorts; I guess you could use the red corridors that appear during/after the water-running section for that.