don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I don't know anything about the coding of a sound engine, but as far as a new soundtrack goes, Sonic Team has been writing at least two versions of each stage's music since Unleashed, and three for Sonic Colors, so I would hope the implementation of this awesome idea wouldn't be too far-fetched from the music-writing standpoint :)

2. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    Best thing you can do about implementing the idea would be introducing a different boosting track I think, since there's no filter applied by the game. It's just a different track. In theory you could just swap it for any other song you want as long as it has the same length. The only problem is there would be a loss in quality since they're supposed to be "mono" tracks with a lower sample rate.

3. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

Having the two versions of the song (like "Be Wild" and "Be Cool") wasn't really the part I was fixating on. The part I REALLY wanted to see implemented was the idea of having parts of the music track play at certain sections of the level, which would allow for things such as the (AMAZING) build-up-then-guitar-solo bit on the clock tower.

4. Dario FF

Dario FF

So coupled with a succesful update to the Easy Ogre Exporter(big kudos to arkeon for that) and learning how to properly use the Vertex Paint modifier in Max, here's what SonicGLvl will be able to do in the next update.
    [​IMG]
    I hope this update will help level makers a lot in improving the looks of their scenery(*cough* Emerald Coast's transitions *cough*). This doesn't only work for terrain, but for dynamic models as well, so hopefully if the Model Importer script can add support for vertex colors, we will have fully interchangeable models from max and back to the game.

[​IMG]
    There's no weird or ugly methods for using these features, these tools are readily available on Max already with the Vertex Paint, and it's quite easy to use. So get familiar with it if you're interested!

5. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    I'm getting an invalid instance info file error when trying to load the terrain from GHZ200. I copied the Packed files to the correct place (wip/Packed). [​IMG]

Edit: Fixed it. I just deleted the ghz cache folder. I have a request for a command. Can you add an option to rotate and move an object the use of a command or to resize the widget like in max? [​IMG] I've only seen this on Green Hill Act 2, but this is getting in the way. I can't see the object nor the widget. If I go to close, the widget gets smaller.

6. Dario FF

Dario FF

On the next update the gizmo is drawn on top of everything else and overrides any raycast checks first(I only check against the gizmos first), so that problem should be gone. ;)

In fact you could do an SVN checkout, I'm just checking at the moment if all this stuff is working correctly, and documenting it a bit.

7. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Isn't the SVN the source?

8. Dario FF

Dario FF

There's only the executable there, it isn't open source yet. It's planned to be later on...

9. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    My friend DaGuAr ( Also Known as Gorila5 in Youtube) has just posted an update to his Metal harbour mod stage.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    The first 3 minutes I was in love.

Then I just basically wanted to have his (her?) babies. Just wonderful.

It makes me wonder what a Sonic 06 level port would be like. Unleashed porting is just fantastic don't get me wrong, but to play levels from a broken game in a game that actually has a decent gameplay engine would be very interesting to see. Sure some levels are just fundamentally broken in that game (Tropical Jungle), but it would be interesting to see something like White Acropolis with Generations gameplay.

Also now sonic can run across the water instead of... sliding across it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_0VeyXxpFA

Seriously, what the fuck is up with that? I never understood that, and I never will. Ever.

11. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    I've been doing some research on the Hedgehog Engine, and I found out that, when making Unleashed, the lighting for a typical level would take 2-3 days with about 100 computers working on it. When working on the Unleashed Porting Project, does the lighting have to be redone? How about when making a custom level, like Metal Harbor above me?

12. Dario FF

Dario FF

For the Unleashed project we use the lighting from the DLC.

As for rendering your own, it really just depends on what quality you want and the complexity of your geometry. A low-poly stage like that one could probably be pulled off by rendering in a day. Keep in mind Generations needs both a lightmap and a shadowmap, and they're baked into a single texture. It should really be something left over for the last step when making your level, when you're 100% sure it's finished.

Also, I have a video of my own for anyone interested:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkEHBabmz10

13. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    Ah. Thanks. Watching that video was actually what made me ask my question. I'm not planning on doing any sort of hacking any time soon, but I was curious on how that part of the process works.

14. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    PIC

You can change the language of the game in the Steam "Properties" for Sonic Generations.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Huh, neat. If you change the language on the console version it doesn't do that.

Also it seems that the PC version uses EU logos for some reason.

16. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Can you even change the language of the menus in consoles? (I mean! I thought you could only change the language of the VOICES on those!)

BTW when the language is japanese the Sega logo is presented in Cyan instead of Marine Blue.

17. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    That Dragon Road video is gorgeous, but it does make me wonder if there will be a Classic Dragon Road.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya it only does voices. And that color change seems kind of random. I wonder why.

19. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    http://sega.jp/

On Japan sega logo is cyan, on every recent product apparently. Dut we're getting offtopic.

20. Falk

Falk

Oh hey, TheDelRe's cover!