don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    I just got done playing the Sonic Generations Demo.

Wow, I'm impressed. Right off the bat Modern Sonic's controls feel extremely, well, easy to control! Having played Sonic Colours, they definitely seem improved from that in terms of the ability to keep jumps more controlled, as well as Modern Sonic's movement in general. Simply put, the controls honestly just feel 'right'. The level design for Modern Sonic's Green Hill is also a real charm, with not many but certainly an adequate amount of branching and alternate pathways. Enemy placement also appears to be well thought out, and there aren't any cheap bottomless pits in sight, which is very nice to see. Furthermore, I don't personally think that they overdid it with the grinding rails, which is good.

As for Classic Sonic, his controls to me don't seem vastly different from the first Sonic Generations Demo that I played, but they do feel oh-so-slighty tweaked, and for the better too. Controlling Classic Sonic after launching a spin dash feels noticeably easier, and his jump seems slightly less heavy now, but other than that I noticed little physics changes. From what I've played so far, it does appear that the speed shoes give Classic Sonic a better boost in speed compared to the first Demo, where the speed shoes felt somewhat underpowered.

I know this has been covered thousands upon thousands of times before, but I must stress that the visuals in this game are absolutely fucking gorgeous. Seriously. Green Hill looks totally magnificent and has been beautifully recreated in high definition. And then there's the water effects and reflections - they really do look marvellous! The music for both Modern and Classic Sonic is also awesome, and the Ending Medley is totally and positively kickass.

The only thing which I agree looks weird is the new title screen. Classic Sonic's expression doesn't look too bad, but Modern Sonic's mouth just isn't fitting at all. I can't really describe why, it just looks really 'off' and misplaced. It would also be nice if their fingers wagged, too.

Overall, despite very very minor complaints above, this Demo was an absolute blast to play and I'm certainly going to be replaying it to death until I get the full PlayStation 3 version for Christmas.

Excellent job, SEGA, and big props. You've created a truly brilliant game here. :thumbsup:

2. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    First impressions:

Modern is fun, but it didn't offer much in the way of replayability. Plus it had some jump lag (Which classic didn't.)

Classic is tweaked for the better, spindash is charged, and incredibly enjoyable to replay again and again (was trying to get below 1 minute, sadly didn't. but incredibly close!)

3. I just got done playing the demo too.

Holy crap! It's awesome as hell!

To be totally honest, Classic Sonic doesn't really feel too different though there is a noticeable difference in the jumps as everyone else has said, but that's really the only change.

Modern Sonic's Green Hill stage plays like a dream, the controls are pretty much perfect, the only problem I had with them was simply due to the fact that I'm not used to the Modern Sonic controls on a PS3 controller owning HD Unleashed on a 360 and all. The stage design doesn't contain too many split pathways but I don't entirely see this as a bad thing because Green Hill is the first stage in the game. So it's a nice easy stage to the game going without many confusing alternate pathways to take.

Very pleased with this demo, can't wait for the final game! Good one SEGA!

4. Columind

Columind

Geistbox Member
    Music and Comics
    Classic feels improved, but I can't help but think that sort of makes the slightly "scripted" moments stand out, particularly the ramps. Still, it wasn't a dealbreaker, and he was still fun to play.

Modern feels like a massive step up from Colors and Unleashed in terms of control, but the feeling of being isolated in a 3D space is as prevalent as ever, almost as if it's stereotyping it's Unleashed heritage to push home the fact that this is an entirely different Sonic. Considering how Sky Sanctuary and City Escape is designed though, I trust that future stages won't be as cramped. The alternate paths were a nice touch in the 2D sections.

Overall, I enjoyed the demo, and I can't see the final game ultimately ending up worse than merely "good". It's relatively well designed, it seems cohesive, and the atmosphere is very engaging. I hope the level design in the later levels doesn't disappoint.

Also, I realize how insane this may sound, but am I the only person who fucking loves Omochao in this game? I dunno, I guess maybe the fact that Laura Bailey voices him makes him so much more endearing to listen to, especially since I'm reminded of Beryl from Disgaea 3 and Catherine from... well, Catherine.

5. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    I agree. Omochao is possibly the best tutorial that could have been in Generations, and the new voice just sweetens the deal.

6. FlackoWeasel

FlackoWeasel

Blue cheese lover! Member
    Today I played the modern GH through in very slow, by looking every place I can go and looking this beautiful GH. I felt like I was myself in the game :D

7. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    http://ares.dl.playstation.net/cdn/EP0177/NPEB90343_00/mFZUAuvWibpOFQiAQZQNYzhKWfyaSnptfmPIxLNdIcWFawASorrrdlxpUSFjixZY.pkg?product=0084&country=gb

Here's the PKG file for the PSN Generations demo for all you non-official-firmware folks.

8. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Just finished the demo. I like it! Classic seems better, and Modern is a step up from previous games. Playing the PS3 version I still seem to get a little bit of button lag, and in some places (more in Modern) where the buttons just wouldn't respond. Glad I'd only get the PS3 version for the Collectors Edition, which seems to be impossible to get, so, PC version with 360 controller it is! Really looking forward to it regardless.

9. FlackoWeasel

FlackoWeasel

Blue cheese lover! Member
    Amazon.de has CE version of Sonic Generations for PS3 or what did you mean with the sentence?

10. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    As everything else has been said, I'll say that I would have liked the title screen to be animated further than just a short intro, especially as they have some fantastic animation going on elsewhere.

11. nicko

nicko

Look Alike
    University
    After getting 0:54.46 in classic and 1:58.37 in modern I decided to give the demo a break and give my impressions.

Classic Sonic: What can I say, I had absolute fun playing it. At first I had to get used the controls and feel, because after playing the old demo at a friends house yesterday classic felt bit different in feel. However very much improved. In comparison with the old demo the button lag could't be felt at all.

Modern Sonic: Surprisingly I enjoyed moderns act more than classics (maybe due to already playing classic a few times) but anyway he controls a lot better than unleashed and colours, and for myself the speed was just right. As I was one of these people who felt who was too fast in unleashed for my liking but here he feels perfect.

Can't wait to get my hands on the full game come 4th november.

12. Flare

Flare

I have to say, I did enjoy Moderns gameplay. Level design is better but wish that they would incoperate some of Classic's trademarks in future games. Spindash, roll, natural sense of building up speed to reach loops, ect.

13. Conando

Conando

Is not, in fact, Raphael Member
    Lynn, MA
    MarioMedia.net FTP
    That's odd, I've played both versions and found no noticeable button lag. Though be aware that TVs actually contribute to button lag.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Honestly I don't know, I just saw these on Sonic Stadium. Thought they were interesting.

15. Conando

Conando

Is not, in fact, Raphael Member
    Lynn, MA
    MarioMedia.net FTP
    So Omochao runs a store? Guess he realized giving out free advice doesn't really pay off.

16. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    I don't really see the need for skills and buyable upgrades in a game like this, but I can't really complain if it gives me something to want to attain.

17. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
    I love Classic's general look of not being impressed.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Indeed. I'll likely buy more of the flash skills, stuff that adds something else to the game, like elemental shields or something. I don't need a lot of these safety skills, although they could be useful for Time Trials so maybe. We'll see.

[​IMG]

This is from a German magazines (so are the previous pictures). Any idea what this says? Also 2 player? They talking about the 3DS version or is there something we don't know of yet?

19. NomadTW

NomadTW

I ain't gotta impress you fucks. Member
    Shit yeah, the shop is just like Megaman 9/10's. I love that, actually.

And an item that lets me stay on my feet when I get hit? That better not be a one time only thing. :|

20. No problem, here you go:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.