don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Still gonna use those, just haven't got around to putting them in yet =P

2. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    Some points to make:
    1) You still haven't added anything to the bg like islands or something :(
    2) There should be shading under the grass, the fg sticks out too much with the grass.
    3) The loop is missing some tiles, unless thats intended
    4) Not quite sure if the fg palette really fits the bg.

3. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    Ok you're getting there but that background needs to either have bigger hills or variations in size. It just looks like a very obvious repeating pattern right now. The Pattern makes that background look uninteresting, out of place and ruins its potential.

Get rid of the black in the foreground and up the contrast between the two colors in the checkers.

This is a good start. Shade under that grass and the level looks a bit washed out it needs one more color. I'm just not sure what that color should be. You could also try giving the grass some sort of pattern that may help with the washed out problem.

Those new foreground pieces look out of place it looks as if they are just sitting on top of the main foreground rather than being apart of it. You either need to change the pattern of them or add some shading to the edges to make it look as if it has some sort of shadow effect on the original foreground. It wouldn't hurt to shade under the grass either.

4. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Slight update:
    [​IMG]

A big thanks goes to Mistergambit for the Ballhog.

5. BaconFace

BaconFace

DrTapeworm Member
    Is that an enemy port from Sonic 2 8-bit?

6. No, that's how he looked in in the Sonic 1 prototype video that was found.

7. BaconFace

BaconFace

DrTapeworm Member
    Well then, I must see this video. Is it on Youtube?

8. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9H3edAcnZ4

9. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    Some art I've been doing....

Heres some screenies:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Wont tell you what its for though ;).
    Edit: Sorry their a bit big, I may upload smaller versions later. C&C is welcome.

10. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    You desperately need more color too. Its an easy fix though just change the color of the sky.

11. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    Nah I don't think so, you may change your mind when the hidden project is revealed. I know the first may look it, but if you think the second looks like it needs more colour, then sir you need your eyes tested.

12. Tidbit

Tidbit

I have to reply with AM, the colors look great and I like what you've shown, Overbound must be color blind because every thing is colorless to him.

13. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    Please fix your garbled tiles and ugly palettes.

14. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    Thanks for the positve feedback (sarcasm) :argh: oh well, I guess your post is considered.

15. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    I think he was referring to the first more than the second, and I'll say that I agree with him, and raise you a "green sky?! Come on!"

16. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic levels need at least 4 colors to them. I didn't even see the second picture, which does look much better. I say use some colored flowers maybe the same color as the water and you've got yourself a winner.

17. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Having created levels for about 2 nearly 3 years now (And judging by the excellent feedbacks of the community), I'd like to give my opinion hoping that my experiences are what make my opinions worth while reading.

Firstly not to be rude, Overbound, but you seem to be very critical when it comes to other's designs, don't get me wrong, I do agree with 60% of what you say, and you make some very good and well valid points, but I find that often the way you've said it makes people feel like they've done a completely shit job and it's not worth them continuing, now I don't think you mean to do it on purpose or anything, but maybe state some good things about it as well as the bad things to sorta even the balance and give more encouragement =)

Now the designs, the first one as Overbound said, yes, the colours do seem displeasing as they give a depressing feel to the level, of course I'm only asuming that it's the first level due to the GHZ art which is still there. The BG isn't very pleasing either sorry, maybe changing the colours to something more bright with contrast.

The second design, I'm actually ok with that design, I don't have a problem at all, the art is OK and the colours seem very fine, though I would like to point to the Green grass/trees, they do seem a bit bright considering it's a sunset theme, but other than that, it's good enough for my standards of eye pleasing =P

I would like to hint at changing the FG, I've seen GHZ art changed so many times with the only problem being you can still see the original GHZ too much (This isn't primary a hint to you Anime, that's to many others also).

18. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    I am critical but its constructive. Its not as if I say this sucks and move on. I explain the problem and how to fix it. Which is what I'd want anyone else to do for me. We talk that way a lot in SFGHQ I get it from there. ^_-

Edit: Also I agree the grass could be a tad darker. Over all though as I said above add that pinkish/puplish color to the foreground elements a bit and you've got a winner.

19. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    Like I said, with the first pic, without giving the game away I kinda soughter wanted it to be a bit dull. But I may change it a bit. As for the second, I am happy with part of it, but the sky bugs me a bit so I may change the palette, depends I think I've used up the palette lines. I know its a sunset but because its bright I thought the grass would look brighter than what it was, and not darker, but hey matter of opinion. And just to clarify, do any of you even like the art of the first pic? its a mixture of azure lake mountains with water from one of the sonic cd bgs. I expected serious but to the point replies, so thanks on that. I can't please everyone , but I 'll try my best, and thats all I can do.
    As for the fg markey jester.... paitence is a virtue ;).

20. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    When it comes to art, I can be a strict bastard and would give alot of shit about art to quite alot of hacks, simply because I know that no-one can bullshit me in that area, but I lay back and try not to state the many problems because I don't like being seen as an arsehole (I mean c'mon, nobody does), and I'm sure that the staff wont take that kind of shit on their forums either, I will hint a few issues though and blind them with something good, but if you really want my 100% true opinion behind your level designs, then I'll be happy to share them with you privately via a PM, but consider this a disclaimer that I will show no mercy.

Excuses.. =P