Sonic & SEGA All Stars Racing

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Diablohead, May 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kurosan

Kurosan

Samurai of Gaming Oldbie
    Off topic as well, and sorry if this is inappropriate, but I'm just really curious. How does the whole looting thing work? Would you be able to loot anything from a store (like, say, a TV) and never have to worry about the store owner or the police finding out? I know you have more important things to worry about right now, but stealing a new TV, computer, game console and other expansive stuff sounds like it would be tempting if there's no repercussion.

2. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    If they did record new lines, that seems awfully nice, unless...

*speculation*

...new Banjo in the works?

Hm. Never know I guess.

3. Super Rockman

Super Rockman

New Banjo game confirmed :v:

Maybe they're making the real Banjo-Kazooie 3 since Nuts and Bolts did so bad.

4. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Weren't they already talking about another Banjo project sometime after N&B's release?

I only have one more Achievement left(well, two, but one is for getting all the others). I wish it would tell you how many zombies (I'm sorry, 'creatures', for the kiddies) you are from the 100 you have to kill with Zobio & Zobiko. Also, does anyone know if you have to use items to kill them, or if you can just run into them? They fall over and vanish either way. I ran through a five-lap Outer Forest several times the other day, getting at least six per lap, and I still don't have the Achievement.

Also, what's with this House of the Dead-->Curien Mansion bullshit? Why substitute the name now? Everyone, even kids, should know that House of the Dead is an arcade zombie shooter. I mean, fuck, there's a few HotD titles on the Wii.

Last time I checked, fantasy characters like zombies, werewolves, vampires, and the like were just fine for kids to enjoy in media. There would be no Scooby-fucking-Doo otherwise.

5. Kurosan

Kurosan

Samurai of Gaming Oldbie
    I believe I read somewhere that it had something to do with Germany's fucked up censoring, and Sumo wanting to make a single international (or at least western) version that they could distribute everywhere, so they had to abide by Germany's laws.

6. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I see. That does make some sense.

Even so, how hard would it be to include two logos (especially since one of them already existed), and make a flag or something that changed the title depending on the territory you're in? It probably doesn't bother me as much as I've let on (I've been...ugh...sick lately), but even so, I feel like they don't expect people to know what it is or something.

Then again, I'm sure most of the game's userbase doesn't recognize anyone outside of the Sonic characters, Aiai, and Billy Hatcher (and Banjo, but whatever), unless they played Superstars Tennis. Even then there's plenty of 'new' faces in there for a lot of people.

7. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    I think I'm going to assume that they really were just being nice. The people who do the Banjo voices aren't freelance actors and work for Rare anyway (Banjo's actor, Chris Sutherland was lead programmer on the first two games), so they probably aren't as much of a hassle to pull in for recording. Robin Beanland is the credits listed for Rare, so unless one of the new guys did it might be safe to assume he's responsible for the All-Star music.

8. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Which really is great music, even ten or so years down the road.

I hope I get to hear it in a new game soon enough, for reasons which involve platforming and quite absurd adventures of a bear and bird.

9. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    For the zombie trophichievement, you can either hit them with weapons or boost into them. You can't just hit them and spin out as those won't be counted.

10. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Ah okay. Kinda lame though, since you do kill them either way.

11. Yeah, it is. I wasted my time killing about 120 zombies like that until I looked it up and saw you'd have to boost into them or kill them with weapons.

I wanted to ask the "good" people here-- how do you handle drifting/boosting? I race with Ryo, since I love Shenmue, and I charge one boost, release, and almost immediately drift again in attempts for a continous "snake" boost. Yet I can never win a race when I play against the pros-- it just seems like they have an edge. Is it my selection for a racer or is there a better way to drift and boost?

12. I believe (I don't know, I don't have the game) that you get bigger boosts for holding the drift longer.

You are trying Mario Kart's snaking technique, which involves drift boost after drift boost...but I think that SUMO realized that was a flaw in MK, and changed it.

13. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Still, with the extra boosting ability that bikes get they can quickly start to feel overpowered.

14. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Two more goodies from me:
    All the sound effects. In all honesty, nothing too interesting, they're engine noise for the most part.
    All the XML files which are included in audio.xpac. Again, I don't think these are interesting, but some originalnamefag would probably be happy to read some of the names used internally, or whatever.

The only things I still have to upload are the French, German, Italian, and Spanish, commentaries. Though I'm not sure if I will do that unless someone explicitly asks. All the files have been split and they're ready on my Hard Drive if someone wants them, though.

15. Yeah, I've tried the longer boosts. But it does, of course, take time to charge. I *think* from what it appears like, most people seem to stick with short boosts. But that's why I wanted to ask, to see what the pros do. I'd really like to get higher than the top 1000 for a time trial.

16. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    I only squeeze in mini level 1 boosts if the corner is too short or im using a slow charing character like big or eggman, a lot of times you can do a level 1 boost to get a little speed then work on that level 2-3 boost instead of going straight into a level 3 while drifting slowly.

17. That sounds good to me. When you boost, are you immediately drifting after the boost to recharge? Or do you let the boost run its course on a straight away?

18. NioZero

NioZero

ConcepciĆ³n, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
    :offtopic:
    the problem with the looting is that the stores have been completely "invaded" by hundreds of people who took advantage of this disaster for their own benefit. One could justify stealing food and supplies, but stealing things like TVs and refrigerators has no rationale.

:ontopic:
    when everything is restored here I will return to raise money for this game, just hope you are still playing when I have my opportunity to play it online ...

19. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I usually just charge the boost right away as soon as I trigger one so I can keep stacking level 2 or 3 ones.

It's worked rather well for me since I tend to be in the top 100 in some courses. I'm too inconsistent and erratic to really race similarly to the higher ranked people.

20. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Are any platforms using ADX? I'd much rather have the raw files than converted wavs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.