don't click here

Sonic Boom

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by iojnekns, Oct 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Regarding the bolded text: I thought it was well-established that the camera wasn't able to go fast enough to accomodate Sonic's speed, thus preventing some traps from being reacted to? In addition, it seems that even in this game's modified engine, if Sonic is going so fast that he goes off-screen that some collision between objects isn't checked. I've run straight through some power-ups in the end of act 2 this way.

Furthermore, the user needs to be able to interact with the game field, which is impossible if the camera is unable to keep up with the user's character -- the user cannot react to oncoming obstacles or layout issues. Hence this is an objective flaw in the game's level design, especially given the high number of traps that the game contains!

Granted, this issue isn't required to be solved by way of changing the level layout, as compared to the character's physical properties like max speed and acceleration, but it's through the level design that these flaws become apparent, and they actually can be corrected for in the level design. Loops, for example, can be used to good effect here to keep speed up without moving the player too far out of camera range (the player must double back for the second half of the loop, allowing the camera to catch up).

This is merely an obvious general example (I.e., on the order of broken tiles).

2. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Split posting because of new page.

Now this is just poppy cock. You're defending the design saying that all the Lego Bricks use the same colors and shapes, but don't question the fact that what is suppose to be a house with a functioning bathroom is a coconut with a kitchen in the shower.

Yes, the levels all work, there are no misplaced tiles or collision errors. That's not the argument a majority of us are making. We're complaining about the bland straightforward design of the levels where a majority of the empty space is taken up by loops, slopes, and areas that takes you in circles until you jump through a gap with spikes or electric trap in between, or annoyingly placed enemies, spike pits, or lack of platforming. The style of play isn't an excuse for a section that sends you flying to the right and you only have a split second to jump from the small platform you land on before you hit a spring and slam into the spike trap, or in your attempt to escape that trap, jump right into an electric floor. And if you do manage to make the first jump, the camera can't keep up so you can't even see the upcoming obstacles to dodge.

These are the flaws that we're complaining about, not miscolored tiles.

3. Stink Terios

Stink Terios

Eh... What? If level design means placing stuff with correct alignment while being eye-pleasing, Boom is awesome.

You barely have a second to react to many obstacles present. I will dissect this in the future, but not now since I need to buy a new computer first. Hopefully, in one week that should be possible.

Geez, I said low standards, not turd (nice filter) standards X_X
    Better end this argument now, it's not like I can respond properly without remembering the posts as you pointed out.

Sorry if I did, that was totally not my intent X(

But Sonineko and Oergomized are very much alike, you gotta admit.

By the way, I couldn't split the quote properly. Sorry. :v:

*looks down*

Basically what I tried to say (err, type) is what Chimpo just posted now. God, I need to improve my debating skills.

4. iojnekns

iojnekns

trouble keeps you runnin' faster Member
    We get it, you don't like having to practice, and you think the level design is bad. This is starting to go around in circles now, so shall we just move on. Yes, the new physics make it difficult to give a heads up to more or less any obstacle - yes this is extremely punishing to new players who have to contend with learning all the moves and tricks to bypass the traps at once - yes this is a problem unique to Boom. Doesn't really need re-iterating a thousand and one times. Theres no need to react quite so strongly over it - for some reason winning the Hacking Contest seems to have invoked some militant detractors as though we somehow owe them better - like we deliberately went out and duped the judges or something. Enough.

5. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    The shitstorm wouldn't have been this big if people didn't claim this was the hack to end all hacks.

6. iojnekns

iojnekns

If you got that impression, I wasn't responsible for creating it. Yet it appears to be me thats taking all the flak.

7. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    I don't think anyone's blaming you. I haven't seen anyone directly accuse you of it, just those who are hyping this up as the best thing since sliced bread.

I've mentioned somewhere burried in this topic that although it has its flaws, it can still be a fine game, but that it shouldn't be labeled as the best and what all other games should try to achieve.

You have something different. Flawed, but different, and can be refined overtime to be better, but it certainly isn't the greatest thing ever.

8. iojnekns

iojnekns

So what you're saying is that because some people said they liked it quite enthusiastically, others have to repeatedly and vehemently state that they don't?

EDIT: looks like you've modified your post. Thats fine, I just want to chat about the hack without having to constantly field complaints. Its like working a customer complaints department - we're not being paid by anyone but they expect mind blowing service!

9. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    I never claimed that, nor do I speak for others. I only state my opinion on the claims by those people and give my reasoning to the people questioning us directly. Obviously, there's a lot of people being questioned here so there's bound to be a lot of responses.

In the mix of those responses you're getting feedback from others. This feedback seems to be consistent with the rest of the complaints and you should probably take a closer look into it rather than simply dismissing it.

10. Glisp

Glisp

That one weird guy that does stuff. Member
    Bloomington, IN
    None at the moment I'm afraid.
    Good point right there Chimpo. To be honest with you guys, I think its brilliant but I'm also having second thoughts about it. Not because I think it sucks or anything. The hack is great. I just think it needs to be improved on in the areas of where the complaints are most consistent. Just as Chimpo said.

11. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Just to clarify: I'm not going to go and stop y'all from making a full game based on what you've got here, but if it stays pretty much just like this then I'm not likely to give it too much mind then. :P

12. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    From personal experience, I can say this is far from guaranteed. And in before Chimpo =P

13. MDave

MDave

Head Ninja Member
    North Wales
    BladeBattles - Indie PC game.
    Glad to see my suspicions were somewhat correct :) In that case, all the power to you to do what you want with your game/hack.

And seriously, the game isn't all that hard after you play it enough times. Just like Sonic 1, when we all first played that game we didn't exactly fly through the game on our first or second try.

I think just some tweaks to the bosses would be all that needs doing to perfect the difficulty for me.

14. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    It's a good game. The second boss is a bit too hard. Thanks to savestates and patience, I could beat it but I really think you should do something.

But act 3 is amazing, I'm LOVING it ! It reminds me of the mach-speeds levels from Sonic 2006 and it works. I've made a savestate at the beginning of the level just to play it over and over again. I hope we'll see a few more of them in the full game :)

15. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I haven't posted here yet, let's rectify that.

What can I say? This game is amazing. I went into it full well expecting something different, and it delivered in spades.

The bosses? Absolutely amazing. It's just fantastic to have a challenge again. The speed? You guys are pushing the Genesis to the limits, it seems. The music? Who can complain about FUCKING MEGADETH? The graphics? Sleek. I love Sonic's sprite more than anything. And act 3 was beautiful, of course. The gameplay itself? Once you learn the ins and outs of the moves, you've got one of the most controllable iterations of Sonic yet.

Everything about what I played is great. I even got some of my non-Sonic playing friends playing this, and they love it. I'm looking forward to seeing what surprises you guys have for us next!

16. Hodgy

Hodgy

UK
    Games programming :)
    Personally I think that the hack is technically amazing, the music is good, the boss's are freaking epic, and act 3 is pure awesome! But it has obviously been made for the elitist sonic player but that makes it next to impossible for everyone elce to get good at and enjoy it the way it was meant to be played, to the point where I thought it's awesome but I wasn't enjoying it.

It's like making a guitar hero with only the expert difficulty >.<

17. Dracula

Dracula

Oldbie
    I'm watching you!
    Converting NES Mappers to MMC5
    Thank you for releasing this! I enjoyed playing the game and it looked amazing. I like the level layout, new sprites, the music and the challenges. Act 3 is one if my favorites. I like the Sound Test menu too.

18. TiagoJ7

TiagoJ7

Really really really great job. I just watched the video, and it were ten awesome minutes. Sonic rocks in this hack.

Someone mentioned the music had a lot of Megaman into it. It did, now that I think of it. But what I did notice that reminded me of Megaman was the orb boss.

19. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    Lets start with the level design, to many Death Egg electric traps, it seems that everywhere I go there's one of those darn things. Also it seems the levels is filled with loops and slopes, to the point that some times I forget where I'm at. Also it seems that the levels relied on trial and error, especially when the camera loses track of Sonic, that is unforgivable. This should be fixed because it happens way to often and you cant expect to play when you cant freaking see where the heck is Sonic!

Sonic movements gets a time to get used to especially it special attacks, its nice to have them but I believe they shouldn't cost rings. I understand that is optional to use them but this is like if in Sonic 3 they penalize you for using Sonic's W kaiten or flying as Tails, this special attacks should be free and the player should be encourage to use them not penalize for using them. About the Physics, it seems Sonic is a bit floaty but I think that's not that big of an issue but still it needs a bit of work, Sonic needs more precise jumps.

The big problem comes from the bosses, they are to freaking hard. King Orbi is not that hard but it will take a few tries to kill the guy, the problem is with Gorbichev, this boss is INSANE, it take to many hit to kill him and there's a point where the strategy is let hit hit you and attack him while you are invincible, this is a BIG no, no in any Sonic game that has this feature. There should be always a way to beat the boss with 0 rings and it seems for Gorbichev is impossible to do so. I especially hated the part where Gorbichev starts cornering you and not letting you escape resulting in a few irritating moments.

Now the scene where Gorbichev blows up the reactor is nice but the act that follows isn't. Act 3 is a nice idea but it needs more work. To many times I was trapped in a spiked or electric pit because I was going to fast to react, although there is a bit of a warning the frame of time to react is to small and ANY mistake results in loss. This is like in Megaman 8 where you have to slide or jump depending of what the game tells you but in Megaman 8 it wasn't an entire stage devoted to that just a section of it.

Speaking of Megaman, there's a shitload of music from that game. Keep in mind I'm not complaining I love Megaman, I just hope that not all the levels have Megaman music, there should be a bit more varied selection. But all in all the soundtrack was awesome, specially Grabbag, I loved that.

In conclusion this hack is a technical achievement no doubt but as a game, it needs some work to make it more enjoyable.

EDIT:
    Removed the first line of the review because it seems it made me sound like I hated this hack, which is far from the true.

20. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Oh, that's right, the one thing I didn't like. Bitchslaps of death aren't cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.