don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    If it really is just prototype only, I'll still get the game, but I'll just be disappointed. I love the somewhat melancholic feel of ice cap zone and launch base zone, and the proto tracks are just way too peppy for the mood I associate with the level. Who knows, maybe I'd just get used to them and maybe even grow to like them after playing the game with them. We'll just have to wait and see.

2. MontiP

MontiP

"Tylerfoxorwhatever? I barely know her!" Member
    Chile
    Bonanza Bros. was the peak of Classic Sonic.

Nothing felt the same after that... :,(

3. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    Bullshit, we all know Streets of Rage is the Sonic series' saving grace and best game, Bonanza Bros is B-tier at best

Last edited: May 25, 2022
  4. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  6. Snowbound

Snowbound

Can music tracks really take up that much extra space? Are they also hiding like museum art pieces in there?

7. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Any idea how I can pre-order the Digital Deluxe version from Nintendo's UK site? I've checked on the eShop now the page is live, but can only find the standard edition so far. Don't do digital purchases normally so this is a rare exception for me - any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Seems to be only the web portal that's not displaying the DLC/Digital Deluxe; the system eShop is displaying them as expected. Just a heads-up for anyone else using the European eShop looking to preorder!

Last edited: May 25, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  8. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    it comes with unlockable Sonic Adventure 3

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. Linkabel

Linkabel

It's being able to move the camera in the menu that's probably increasing the size.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    This is the only possible reason I can think of for the file size… perhaps there’s more to the 3D island renders than what we already know?

11. Harper

Harper

It's the entire soundtracks to Genesis 3D Blast and Chaotix properly remastered, that's over 100 songs. It doesn't surprise me that they'd be that massive.

12. That amount of space is enough for almost 8 hours of uncompressed CD audio... and nobody distributes uncompressed audio!

13. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
    It's likely video. Video takes space.

14. VelvetBlueDreams

VelvetBlueDreams

But... what video though? The animations are base game.

15. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    iirc, the full deluxe package is the following:

-island camera control
    -extra character animations in the main menu and in the "music islands"
    -bonus hard missions
    -bonus soundtracks in the museum

Tbh I'm confused how that adds up to over 4GB, but I guess we'll have to wait and see...

Last edited: May 26, 2022
  16. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    The deluxe edition comes with even more denuvo. Double your value, for free five dollars!

17. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Yes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    The Classic Music Pack DLC features exactly 73 tracks (it's on the site description, also, remember it doesn't include the Saturn tracks).

Since the last Sonic Game to include lossless audio was Sonic 3D Blast on the Saturn, I'm sure the tracks are will use lossy compression. While Taxman used OGG Vorbis on all retro-engine titles, since it's SEGA producing the extra content, I bet the tracks will be ADX or any other CRIWARE format, used in like 90% of SEGA-developed titles.

Since the average runtime for the tracks is around 1:30, we can safely estimate 2MB per track and multiply that by 73, which would get us 146MB. I'd be very surprised if the standalone Classic Music pack is larger than 200mb.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • List
  19. President Zippy

President Zippy

Zombies rule Belgium! Member
    This sounds like the sunk cost fallacy, mixed with corporate politicking: they paid licensing fees for ADX, so they feel compelled to use it in lieu of a superior free option. To use anything else would discredit the executive who approved or supported reupping the ADX contract for the Nth time since 1998. I can't imagine why the storage size of lossless audio would matter in an age where download speeds of at least 100Mbit/s are the norm. Surely, downloading Sonic Origins is small potatoes compared to downloading SSB Ultimate and all its DLC.

But this is neither hither nor thither. I'm still hung up on the fact that any of the upcoming content is separate DLC (despite a $40 MSRP on the base game), considering I only paid $5 each for the SCD, S1, and S2 remasters on the Android app store. And I would have to buy all these games for- without hyperbole- the 5th time in my life just to play the 10-year old remasters on a big screen TV.

I hate being a buzzkill despite the copious amount of fan service in the base game, but this is a crappy deal for the people most excited for the release. The people like us who bought at least 50 of Blue Bunny's Sonic "frozen confection" bars over the years in lieu of vastly superior ice cream sandwich bars, settled for the 4kids dub of Sonic X back in 2004, and bought Sonic Generations on the 3DS only to find that the classic levels reused the original level layouts deserve better for our brand loyalty.

20. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    Remastered audio is a bit of dirty word in my book because 99% of the time it's just to make an old recording even louder for re-release. It be interesting to see what we get here as far as the music DLC pack goes.