don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Digital Deluxe has 10 extra hard missions. I wonder if beating them unlocks some bonus videos and other content and that could be why the file size is so much bigger (although probably not something to get hopes up over).

2. Random-ass pie in the sky thought, but hear me out-

-Sonic "Origins"
    -Never before released content from all of the game's development

It'll never happen, but wouldn't it be badass if Sega surprised us all with content from/of prototypes of these games?

3. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    I mean, most of the museum content is completely up in the air at this point. I don't know exactly what I'm expecting, but I'm expecting something good.

Maybe not that good, but I'm absolutely looking forward to grinding for coins in an attempt to unlock some stuff we hopefully have never seen before. There's also the possibility it's just like Mega Collection and we just get a bunch of old concept art and comic book scans, in which case I'm gonna be completely bummed.

...but, given how integral to the game they are hyping up the Museum to be, I'm expecting something good. The internet is also more accessible than it ever was during the release of any Sonic collection, so they probably know they can't get away with just rehashing old artwork.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    For what it's worth, Sonic Origins is up in the eShop now and that listed Digital Deluxe at 3.8 GB so that other listing could very well have just been wrong. That makes much more sense as the DLC content doesn't have much sustenance.

The standard edition is 3.5 GB on the eShop.

Last edited: May 26, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  5. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Has it been confirmed that the music used in the actual games themselves are the Taxman remastered tracks from the original 2013 ports?

After watching that minute long gameplay video, I heard arguments saying that the music isn’t the same this time around but yet the songs in the music pack are remastered so idk what the true answer is.

6. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    I'm counting on something like the museum from MegaMan X Collection, but with more scrapped art etc.

Who knows, maybe they contacted Oshima and he provided some never seen drawings/plans?

7. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/sonic-origins-digital-deluxe-switch/

Still says 7.8GB for Digital Deluxe for me

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I mean on the Switch shop itself it says 3.8 GB. The website says 7.8. I'm going to guess the console one is more accurate an additional 4 GB for the miniscule dlc features is ridiculous.

9. Kobz

Kobz

Down on the Upside Member
    FLA
    All we have to go on is the "ear test" you referenced which apparently had characteristics indicating that the music is not remastered, but I don't view that as conclusive. It just doesn't make sense to remaster a large volume of tracks for the museum while (presumably) including non-remastered versions of the in-game songs alongside them.

I usually run for the hills at the mention of that too. Based on how the remastered music was handled in the mobile ports, it's probably safe to assume we'll get versions of the tracks that aren't beholden to the limitations of the original hardware, rather than a simple volume bump.

10. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    The songs on the Korean gameplay preview are definitely Genesis recordings, not the Taxman vetsions. Taxman changed the PSG noise in the tracks for actual hi-hat samples, so they're very easy to identify.

Truly, to remaster a song means you took the original mix and passed it through the mastering process, which may include EQ, stereo adjustments, normalization, limiting etc.

Like Chibisteven I'm starting to thing they simply EQ'd, compressed and normalized them all and slapped remastered on the description.It's also legally accurate so we can't even complain about it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Harper

Harper

The interview from Rulicon's website that gave us the other information from earlier (super button, Sonic 3 jingles in the museum, etc) also said that the music was remastered. I'm guessing this is a new remaster rather than the ones used in the Taxman and Stealth versions of the games.

12. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I checked on the UK eShop on the Switch console and it gives 3.8GB for Digital Deluxe, so maybe it’s the US web store that is wrong?

13. I actually wonder how the star/retro engine will be bundled into this collection… perhaps if we are lucky, it will be some sort of reverse-engineered or reverse-engineerable executable file inside of the wrapping program.

14. Hydr0city

Hydr0city

> Kamikazee Member
    At this point I wonder when they're gonna drop the bombshell that is the Sonic 3 footage. Definitely feels like they're sort of tip-toeing around showing footage of the game at all (I feel like we haven't seen much of it, let alone the copyright-hell zones like Ice Cap).

I'm sort of hoping it is the prototype tracks, as some I much prefer more than I dislike. Bit of a different topic, but it is very interesting how a song completely changes a perception of a stage's tone like Ice Cap's prototype vs. it's final OST. Pretty neat stuff to think about - if it's the prototype tracks, there's going to be a whole new generation of people experiencing Ice Cap as a sort of upbeat winter wonderland-esque level, and that's pretty neat.

15. If we're going to get Sonic 3 & Knuckles footage, then it's probably going to be Angel Island, Hydrocity, Marble Garden and they're going to probably skip to Mushroom Hill or Flying Battery, lol.

16. Hydr0city

Hydr0city

> Kamikazee Member
    Honestly that's about what I expect at this point lmao. I could see them avoiding it to try and avoid negative press that'd happen before launch where people make headlines like "They Changed The Sonic 3 OST" and while I really don't think it'd be that bad to just show gameplay of those zones, I guess they'd rather avoid the mess that'd come from it, however big or small.

17. Harper

Harper

I'm hoping so but I kind of doubt it. Based on what we know, it's a modified version of RSDK v5 that can run scripts from v3 and v4. It's more like one game that's loading assets and code from separate data files than it is a proper wrapper. Everything is still under RSDK v5U.

18. RikohZX

RikohZX

Maybe the main menu is more like a launcher for different sub-games, maybe they're integrated into the product more, we just have to see. Would be nice if each game was neatly organized in its own folder rather than one gigantic pair of data/script folders at least.

19. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    The bombshell is more related to the music than the gameplay (for obvious reasons) and I honestly don’t think SEGA is going to say a word until after the game releases.. as far as gameplay we only got that three second glimpse of Marble Garden in the reveal trailer and that one screenshot of Ice Cap, but they obviously know that the music is the biggest talking point of this re-release of Sonic 3

Since Origins was announced, I have been fully anticipating the beta tracks and I still stand by that choice (AIR has helped me get used to them and I feel they fit nicely with those zones in the game) so whatever we get, I'm down with it

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Hydr0city

Hydr0city

> Kamikazee Member
    Oh absolutely it is, it's why I said that it's a bombshell. The gameplay they've shown, and that looks perfectly fine - but I just mean the tracks that are up in the air currently, and stopped Sonic 3 from getting ported for *years.* I definitely think it's likely that they just wait until the game drops and people are playing it, but I really wonder if it's that big of a deal that they have to have the people that care waiting in anticipation. It's not like people aren't going to find modded workarounds if they're unhappy. :V

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List