don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Yeah I mean if you’re on PC you have mods to work around that, but you’re stuck with the changes on consoles (not that it’s a bad thing :V)

But yeah I’m not surprised they’ve kept their mouths shut.. SEGA needs those preorders/sales so this is 100% a business decision.

Cue the hostility from haters on June 23rd (or perhaps earlier) once it’s confirmed that the beta tracks made the cut over the MJ tracks

2. There's a fair chance it'll happen either way it goes.

Sonic 3 Proto OST? "NOOOOO WHY THE MJ JAM GONE"
    Sonic 3 Final OST? "NOOOOO WHY THE PROTO JAMS GONE"

I'm just hoping things are civilised at the end of the day.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. RikohZX

RikohZX

It really is the silence and the wait that's adding so much unnecessary tension and, depending on where you are, unruly debate. Maybe Sega is holding their cards close to their chest, maybe they're truly oblivious to what everyone is concerned about, but whatever the case the day we finally get some answers about it will be like letting a deep breath out of a number of people's lungs at last.

4. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Wonder what the music will be like in the new animated cutscenes in Story Mode. Hope it's completely new and not just remixes of existing tracks. Perhaps we'll get vocals as well like with CD's You Can Do Anything/Sonic Boom & Cosmic Eternity.

5. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Only the super hardcore Sonic nerds will be upset at the lack of proto tracks, or even be aware that there were alternative tracks to begin with. I doubt there'd be too much consternation if they stick with the final OST.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Man, the whole "museum will include content never released to public before" has me wondering if that could potentially include additional MJ/MJ sound team tracks that didn't make it into the game at all.

7. Harper

Harper

Coincidentally, RSDKv4 can support up to four data.rsdk files. I don't know if RSDKv5U is any different, but it'll probably be set up similarly anyways. S1Data, S2Data, etc.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Hydr0city

Hydr0city

> Kamikazee Member
    I would be shocked considering how deeply that's in legal limbo, where nobody really has a good answer as to what happened (especially to just make them go "Yeah, we can re-release Sonic 3 now". I'd love some unused tracks, but I don't think we'd ever get MJ/MJ sound team tracks, unless they managed to work something out. But we'll have to wait and see, I suppose.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yea there'd only be a potential stink if the final songs were replaced with the proto tracks. Otherwise nothing will have changed.

Proto tracks though non hardcore fans might start to think there's a kinda Mandela effect going on

10. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    tbh I'm not expecting much from the museum, just the usual artwork and music and stuff we've all seen from that era.

11. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Of course, yeah, that's all under the assumption that everything is actually fine and dandy with the music situation lol.

12. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I'd assume the proto tracks are in the museum if there isn't an option for both in game.

That's why I think the original tracks are still there.

13. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    I am in the camp that believes both track options should be available in game for the S3 jingles that get replaced with the S&K counterparts.. hence why I’m hoping that there is some way to play the games separately

14. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    I checked both the S&KC versions and the remastered proto versions the other day and I still think they should stay away from the game. Proto Ice Cap sounded a lot like 16-bit Diamond Dust, though, and I thought I'd prefer those tracks being replaced with S3D tracks than with the proto ones. Yes, the proto tracks are that jarring to me (but they sound better in S&KC).

15. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

They certainly don't feel complete to begin with, so even attempts to remaster can only get so far. The PC midis that everyone knew for years had the reputation of being hastily put together replacement music but I believe that the team just converted the incomplete prototype tracks which is why they sound wrong compared to the rest of the PC soundtrack.

16. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Yeah, I’m not a huge fan of the proto tracks in general. I know a ton of people thought CNZ from the leaked rom was on par with some of the greats (like Hydrocity), but it’s fine. Definitely better than the MJ version, but it doesn’t blow my mind or anything. The two versions of Launch Base are about equal, but the big tiebreaker is Ice Cap - I might even agree with the proto track “fitting” more, but it’s just not that great of a song, and Hard Times is legendary (especially that moment in Act 2 where nearly every instrument drops out).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Hydr0city

Hydr0city

> Kamikazee Member
    I'm surprised there's people saying that Ice Cap's proto music fits better. I feel like both fit the stage very well, but for totally different reasons, and they create totally different tones of the level - Hard Times giving it a more eerie-sounding vibe that feels really tense and it rules, while the proto OST feels more like a winter-wonderland kind of stage. Both fit perfectly fine, but they create totally different views of the level, and I think that shit's fascinating. Same for the other proto tracks - proto CNZ gives it this jovial carnival tune, whereas the MJ version feels a bit more...maniacal? Dunno how I'd describe it, but you get the idea (I think).

It's just neat, really.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  18. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    I totally agree, especially with Ice Cap. I think it’s just that the proto music is more what I’d think of when thinking of a winter wonderland/Christmasy kind of level, but Hard Times!Ice Cap makes it legitimately majestic, which I feel heightens the experience of racing through dark ice caverns. I’d be a bit surprised if it’s what ST had in mind when they first came up with the stage, but it comes together so well. It’ll be the hardest track to say goodbye to if the music is replaced.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Proto Ice Cap definitely "fits" to my ears, but what made me fall in love with Ice Cap was the cold mellowness of the final. The proto makes it sound like you're in a playful winter wonderland, whereas the final sounds like you're trekking through the perils of this gigantic icy cavern. The proto sounds playful and silly to me, whereas the final sounds much more serious and determined. I love the way that the rhythm of the bassline kind of "gallops" as you're boarding down this huge mountain, then as you enter the cavern that "icy" lead synth comes in with a very somber and beautiful melody.

I have a soft spot for snow levels that have this sort of vibe, Ristar's Planet Freon does something similar. The first act is a bit playful and celebratory, but then act 2 is when it turns very mellow. Because it's a snow level, they definitely tried to make sure you can feel the sensation of being cold through the music, but the soundscape is still very deep and warm, and the "playfulness" of act 1 kind of calms down.

Last edited: May 28, 2022
  20. This is just a random thought, but I would love to live in a reality where the Icep Cap theme were actually the Diamond Dust theme, because it would fit so much imo (and this is the best ice level theme). Anyway, I think both proto and final themes fits with the level with their own way and perspective. But maybe... the proto theme would fit better for a Competition Mode stage?